approach question

So does that mean you can't log an approach single pilot unless your in IMC?

Tonight I plan on flying to Victoria rgnl which has an ILS. If i get flight following, and ask for the ILS approach, and shoot that approach, single pilot, in VMC, I can't log it?

So does that mean you can't log an approach single pilot unless your in IMC?

Tonight I plan on flying to Victoria rgnl which has an ILS. If i get flight following, and ask for the ILS approach, and shoot that approach, single pilot, in VMC, I can't log it?

Correct. You cannot unless you're in actual, or underthehood. Personally, I log the approach if I'm cleared for the approach in actual and cross the FAF inbound in IMC. I've heard people say various things, but for me, that seems to make sense.

Correct. You cannot unless you're in actual, or underthehood. Personally, I log the approach if I'm cleared for the approach in actual and cross the FAF inbound in IMC. I've heard people say various things, but for me, that seems to make sense.

So you don't log it if you are in the clear at the FAF, but have to go through a small layer to see the runway?:D

This is why the JAA way of logging things is so much better IFR & VFR none of this hitting a stop watch each time you enter a cloud.

What is better... the FAA accepts the time logged that way for the purpose of licence conversions / validations! Go figure.

If the flight is conducted under IFR then it is logged as IFR if it is conducted under VFR it is logged as VFR.

We have none of this "actual" buisness

If the flight is conducted under IFR then it is logged as IFR if it is conducted under VFR it is logged as VFR.

We have none of this "actual" buisness
Fortunately, there are no FAA requirements that require "actual" (except of course logging an instrument approach for currency).

But "actual" is often used by others (employers, insurers) as a measure of instrument competency, so I don't really see how a system that counts flying in CAVU exactly the same way as time in the clouds is "better."

Well how on earth are you going to accurately track how long you have been in the clouds?

Start and stop a stop watch?

What is more relevant is the number of hours you have spent operating an aircraft under IFR - it must work as the insurance is the same in Europe or even less

Well how on earth are you going to accurately track how long you have been in the clouds?

Start and stop a stop watch?

What is more relevant is the number of hours you have spent operating an aircraft under IFR - it must work as the insurance is the same in Europe or even less

I've wondered about this too. If you're popping in and out of clouds the entire flight, are you really expected to keep track of how many minutes you were in the clouds vs. how many you were not?

I've wondered about this too. If you're popping in and out of clouds the entire flight, are you really expected to keep track of how many minutes you were in the clouds vs. how many you were not?

The smallest notation you can put in your logbook is .1

What is more relevant is the number of hours you have spent operating an aircraft under IFR
Can you show me a few NTSB accident reports about someone who lost control of the airplane and crashed into the ground while on an instrument approach in CAVU conditions? Most I've seen involve disorientation in the clouds, but maybe you know of some to show that just being on a "more relevant" IFR flight plan was the problem.

Back