Approach Minimums Question

Alchemy

Hi,

I recently stumbled upon the following scenario at work. We were on the arrival into Chongqing, PRC when RVR for the approach (RWY 02R) dropped below 600 meters. The approach plate lists 720 meters as the required RVR. However, included in our Jeppesen plates was a "10-9S" page that lists minimums for the same approach as 550 meters. I told the captain I would be fine with shooting the approach at 550 meters (as I was not too enthusiastic about diverting to Chengdu at 0300 local time) but he was hesitant. He didn't want to do it, and kept accusing me of looking at takeoff minimums or something. Anyway, it turned out to be a moot point because RVR dropped all the way to 400m, we held for about 30 minutes; then it improved all the way up to 1000m and we landed uneventfully.

I was wondering if anyone could clarify the significance of the 10-9S page. Why would there be two seperate set of minimums listed for the same approach? It's very possible that I'm missing an obvious note somewhere; if so please point it out and I'll go back to my corner. The dates on both plates are identical. Why bother to make seperate minimums and list them in the 10-9S if no one can use them? Why not just put them on the approach plate in the first place like everyone else? Could it simply be a typo by Jeppesen (I doubt this, because the exact same conflict exists for RWY 02L)? Thanks for any answers anyone can provide.

ckg2.jpg

ckg.jpg

My google-fu was only able to come up with this alert from Jeppesen - dated 2011 and referencing French Airports. Although, if what applies in France also applies in China, then the 10-9S page could be considered accurate.....

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/documents/a...hart-alert/EUOPS/Chart_Alert_France_10_9S.pdf

Again, any thoughts/criticisms/floggings are appreciated.

Unfamiliar with Jepp plates, but looks looks like you might have been right to me... Down in the bottom left corner it says "Changes: Minimums." Looks like 10-9S changes the approach plate minimums in a cheaper way that going back and updating the plates themselves. And I would guess the BOLD information is what has changed.

Could be wrong, but sounded like a fun game so I thought I'd give it a shot. ;)

Edit: Further look, I see both pages state "Changes." Not sure what the difference is then.

Not a typo. You have specialized plates from your company for this approach. They have yet to update the plate so they will issue the 10-9s sheet.

From Jepp

AERODROME MINIMUMS LISTING
On customer request, the minimums may be made available on a minimums listing page. The listings are indexed as 10-9S, 20-9S, etc. This listing is an interim solution until all affected approach and airport charts are converted to the new minimums.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Thanks. It seems odd that they published the plate and the 10-9S at the same time but couldn't make the minimums match on both. I'm sure there are good reasons for it, I'm obviously no plate-maker.

Most airports we fly to have CAT III approaches anyway, so it doesn't come up too much.

Back