Approach Chart with no MSA??

bluelake

Ok, here is another one. I was told there exists (somewhere) Instrument Aproach Charts that do NOT have an MSA printed on it, but I have not seen any. Does anyone know of an IAP chart that does not have an MSA printed on it (ps- I realize that some charts have TAA's on them instead - I know about those).

Thanks!!

I can't actually name one but I think I remember reading somewhere a loooong time ago that if there isn't one then it reverts back to the ole' 1,000 ft above non mountainous terrain and 2,000 above mountainous within 25nm of the navaid upon which the approach is predicated.

I could be totally full of crap too - who knows!?!?

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
I was told there exists (somewhere) Instrument Aproach Charts that do NOT have an MSA printed on it, but I have not seen any.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen any either. According to the Instrument Flying Handbook, there won't be a MSA listed if there isn't an appropriate navaid (not considering TAA charts as you mentioned).

I am thinking this would occur in something like a radar-required ILS, LOC or LDA approach, that has no IAF (I mean, at least not a non-RNAV/GPS IAF). In that case, there might not be a navaid available with the service volume to define an appropriate safe area around the airport.

for which area? I have northern Cali (yup, our state gets two) and there are "no Radar Procedures for this volume" listed..

also looked in the NW pub. theres some PARS etc.. in Section N. but those areas STILL have MSA's published on all approaches.

Know you're asking about MDAs, but the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a Cat II or III ILS which doesnt have a DA but only has RVR (i.e. MCO ILS 35 for example).

no, I know what the MSA looks like and I havent confused it with MDA.

How do I know?? I just succesfully passed my CFI-I ride today. YIPPEE
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back