Applying tonight

USRaven

So... the VA bennies brought the ACCP program down to 39K. I am responsible for 14,900 of that. I can't beat that at all. So tonight, the application goes in.

A divorce put a hurting on me in a past life... but the smoke hath cleareth. Wish me luck.

wow I pulled out 82k from sallie mae and I really regret my decision to go to atp. I can justify going for that price. Need some VA benefits.

wow I pulled out 82k from sallie mae and I really regret my decision to go to atp. I can justify going for that price. Need some VA benefits.

YOU spent 82k for ATP????? My wife doesnt even have that for her Doctorate degree... And she makes 3 times more then me as an FO....

So... the VA bennies brought the ACCP program down to 39K. I am responsible for 14,900 of that. I can't beat that at all. So tonight, the application goes in.

A divorce put a hurting on me in a past life... but the smoke hath cleareth. Wish me luck.

Glad to see that you are going for it! :D

Just curious for those like you embarking on flight training now-a-days... what is your plan for when you have your certificates?

Also... that $14,900 will be cash, right? ;)

Seniority is everything.
I would give up flying before I would go 80K in debt for anything other than a house. I drive a 10 year old truck because I cant stomach throwing away money paying interest on a car loan for a depreciating asset.
82K at 8% over 10 years = $1000/month and $37K in interest.

But hey, you may have your ratings, and about 13% of the time you need to get your atp cert. Remember, seniority is everything, get there first with atp...:rotfl:

Did not happen...

I applied for the loan. It didn't happen... thanks to circumstances beyond my control (not to go into detail).

I chose an alternative plan, one that I have been researching for some time. I started my first business this week (2 weeks after getting denied 20K of a student loan). I withdrew a 15K loan from the bank, and am in the process of buying equipment for JetJock's Pressure Washing, LLC in sunny Saint Petersburg, FL. I plan on working to pay off the loan ASAP, and then harvesting enough income (as a second job for now) to make a couple more investments. This time when I approach flight school, which may not be ATP, I will have not only the purchasing power to do so without a loan, but the sustainability to afford life while working as a professional flight instructor.... That's my plan.

Re: Did not happen...

I applied for the loan. It didn't happen... thanks to circumstances beyond my control (not to go into detail).

I chose an alternative plan, one that I have been researching for some time. I started my first business this week (2 weeks after getting denied 20K of a student loan). I withdrew a 15K loan from the bank, and am in the process of buying equipment for JetJock's Pressure Washing, LLC in sunny Saint Petersburg, FL. I plan on working to pay off the loan ASAP, and then harvesting enough income (as a second job for now) to make a couple more investments. This time when I approach flight school, which may not be ATP, I will have not only the purchasing power to do so without a loan, but the sustainability to afford life while working as a professional flight instructor.... That's my plan.

Good for you! Best of luck with the business!

On a side note, with banks no longer allowing people to go $50K+ into debt for flight ratings, I think it's going to be inevitable that more people go about things "the old fashioned way," which ultimately may be a catalyst for better pay and work rules across the board in the long run.

Re: Did not happen...

Now that's a plan.

If only we could stick this post of yours on an ERAU bulletin board for all the campus to see. :)

ATP never cost that much, even when I worked there in the huge surge of '08 and we couldnt beat people away from the door it was at its highest at under $60k. So you really cant blame all that 82k on ATP....

Back