Applying to Purdue

vipermcg

I am going to be a senior this fall, so it will soon be time to apply for Purdue. I am going to apply to the Aviation Managment program and the Aviation Technology (flying) program. I'm taking the SAT's again in October, so when do you recommend I send in my application? They really stressed getting them in early when I saw the campus. Also, I flipped through the application already, and I didn't see an essay. Is there one required? If you have any other tips for applying, please let me know. Thanks.

There is no essay required. Get your application in ASAP. It's first come, first served (in the flight program) and spots are limited.

Sorry to be brief here, but I'm extemely busy. Lots of stuff to do! I hope I have answered your question. If you have any more, don't hesitate to post them here.

One of our members, I forget his username, is a freshman here. I have already met him and he is a really cool guy. Maybe he can help you out from a freshman perspective.

I'm the freshman he's talking about. Definetely get your application in early. No there was no essay last year when I applied. The Warrior III's are beautiful. Post any more questions you have and I'll hopefully be able to help you.

I've been filling out the Purdue app and I am sort of disappointed at how plain and short it is. Oh well... I suppose an admissions interview should help one stand out from other applicants.

As a side question, do you have to submit that financial aid app/whatever that comes with the application along with the application? That seems to be the one thing hanging up my submission...

Is Purdue doing admit interviews now for the aviation programs???? There was no such animal when I applied back in 93/94.

Without seeing the application I can't help ya' on the financial aid app question. If you're referring to the "FAFSA" - Free App for Federal Student Aid (**I think**) - that can't be submitted until your parents receive their income tax info in late January.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
As a side question, do you have to submit that financial aid app/whatever that comes with the application along with the application? That seems to be the one thing hanging up my submission...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one thing I would ask Rose or another academic advisor about. I don't know much about the FAFSA forms. I'm also pretty sure she can tell you what you still need to get in, to be considered for a spot in '04.

Also, I believe there is no interview process in place for any of the programs at Purdue. The best you can do is probably schedule a chat with the professors involved in the admissions process. Larry Gross would be the one you'd want to get in touch with for Flight. Dale Oderman would be the one for Management. I don't know who to touch base with for maintenance. Scheduling a chat with any of these professors will least help them put a face to the application and maybe help you over the top if you're one of the ones they're unsure about.

I hope this has answered your questions.

Zach- When are you going to send in your application? I'm pretty sure I'm going into Aviation Managment, so should I put that as my first choice, and the Professional Pilot as number 2?

Viper:

Yeah, I would recommend doing that. You're more than likely to get accepted into the Aviation Management program if you put that first.

Well by admissions interview, I meant with the school itself, not the aviation department specifically. I'll definately email that professor about talking with him when I'm in town this weekend.

I talked to a counselor today and she answered my question about the financial aid thing. Thanks, though... you guys were right :p.

As for when I'm sending in my app, I'll probably send it in ASAP upon my return to Seattle. I've put flight as my first choice and management as my second.

Thanks again for the help, Neil.
smile.gif

Neil- I know you majored in aviation managment. Did you find it hard to do your work and fly on the side? If you did this, would it still be possible to have some type of social life? Also, once college starts, when would you suggest starting flight training?

[ QUOTE ]
Neil- I know you majored in aviation managment. Did you find it hard to do your work and fly on the side? If you did this, would it still be possible to have some type of social life? Also, once college starts, when would you suggest starting flight training?

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking flying lessons on the side is very manageable, privided you budget your time wisely. What I would advise you do is make your lessons like another class. Schedule lessons for the same time every other day, like classes are scheduled at Purdue.

In other words a sample schedule for Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays would go like this:

9:30-10:20: Math 161
11:30-12:20: English 101
1:30-2:20: Flying Lesson at Lafayette Aviation
3:30 - 4:20: Physics 219

Just build your flying lessons into your schedule as you have a break (and enough time to get to the airport) and treat it as another class.

I'm very sure that you can have a lively social life while taking a full course load and flying on the side. Just budget your time wisely. If you don't have a social life, it's because you don't want one.

If you're a freshman I would wait a week or two before really delving into the whole flying thing. You may want to get to know campus a little more; get to know some of clubs on campus and make friends outside of aviation. I don't know about you, but having friends from diverse majors and backgrounds is more interesting to me than just talking about airplanes all day (as fun as that may be).

I hope that I've been helpful here. Maybe Jason can back me up here and provide some insight that I haven't provided.

Have a good one!

I don't really have much to ad - you pretty much covered it. Definatley wait a while to start flying - give yourself time to adjust to college life - it's going to be a more radical change than you think.

As Neil said - definatley 'diversify' yourself. Purdue(as well as every college) offers a wealth of new things and people to experience - get out and do some things not in any way associated with aviation. Don't be one of the 'geeks' that never leaves the aiport. There's nothing more boring than being on a long trip with someone and all they can talk about intelligently is aviation.

Now, having said that, there will be plenty of opportunites to fly on the side. As was said - try to schedule a couple of regular slots every week if you can.

There will be plenty of time to do whatever it is you want to do but time can become a valuable commodity. Budget your time wisely - don't 'over-extend' yourself - especially the first semester.

And FYI should you ever be asked - Purdue's colors are "Old Gold" and "Black" - no other answers are acceptable - not Black and Gold, not Black and Yellow "Old Gold and Black"

Jason

PS - Neil - I'm guest lecturing next Thursday - you gonna' be around?

[ QUOTE ]
Neil - I'm guest lecturing next Thursday - you gonna' be around?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be around. What time are you lecturing?

[ QUOTE ]
And FYI should you ever be asked - Purdue's colors are "Old Gold" and "Black" - no other answers are acceptable - not Black and Gold, not Black and Yellow "Old Gold and Black"

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh oh... I've committed many a felony then!
grin.gif

By the way, Jason are you in the big black book of success stories in the sim building?

Ummm.....1130 and 1330 **I think**.

No I'm not - they sent me a paper about it but I never got around to sending it back. I've never even been in the som building.

Jason

I don't know and I don't know - how's that for an answer??? ha

I **think** the first class is a 727 systems class at 1130 and then I **think** an instrument ground school class at 1330. I'm not 100% positive but I think that's what I was told.

Haven't thought too much about topics yet - the 727 class is juniors so I think something along the lines of career advancement and getting a job. Don't know about the other one.

Jason

Back