Application

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm getting ready to fill out my application for FSI. I have a single engine private certificate with 72 hours logged. When I select the programs I want to enroll in, do I just select Phase I,II,III,&IV or do I have to select the instrument and commercial ratings along with the 4 phases? Also, if you don't take out a student loan, do they want you to pay up front or is it in installments? Thanks for your help, fly safe!!

I came to FSI in the same spot as you - private SE with 55 hrs. You will need to do CIME Steps 2,3,4, and 5 - that's 2: commercial time building and maneuvers; 3: pvt multi-engine; 4: instrument; and 5: commercial multi-engine. This program will cost you about $33,000. I actually finished below their quoted price.

After getting your CIME, you can interview with ASA, to get into the fast track program (Phases III and IV). This requires 2 separate applications, which you don't need to worry about until you get rolling in Step 3 or 4. The fast track cost is $25,000.

So for your app now, you will be doing the CIME program (commercial instrument multi-engine).

Hope that helps.

How much is the program if you opt to build your hours as an instructor, instead of paying the extra $25,000 for the fast track.

Thanks
smile.gif

Is it difficult to get hired as a CFI there, or are they grateful if you decide to instruct. Their offering to pay for your CFI, CFII, or whatever in return for 800 hrs of instructing makes it seem like they really need people to stay and instruct. But I heard somewhere that even if you get all your ratings at FSI, you still might not be hired as a CFI.

If any school "guarantees" you a job as an instructor after you get your CFI, I would seriously suspect the quality of instruction at that school.

FSI does NOT guarantee its CFI students a job. I had a buddy (a very good pilot, by the way) get all his ratings at FSI, went to the interview, and got turned down. So no, I don't think they'd be "grateful" if you wanted to stay. They do need instructors, but they also have probably the best flight training reputation in the world, and want to keep it that way. The reason for the free CFII and CMEI with 800 hrs commitment is so they can keep the instructors they have, and keep them longer. Otherwise with the current hiring market, they'd be leaving after only 400-600 hrs of instruction and the quality of instruction would suffer (with all the LOW time instructors, no higher-time instructors).

what is the quickest way to the right seat? which route do most people take who are planning on flying for a regional?
what is a reasonable time frame at FSI, given the current trends?
I am probably going to get my private here at an FBO (5.5tt now..wooo hoo) and am considering FSI. I should add I am 28, so I am fighting time here.
I realize there are 20 different ways to do this, but given my age, I believe the quicker, the better.
On-top, what are the guys doing at FSI?
thanx for bearing with my questions.

I forgot to add, I am coming down to visit FSI on Saturday (31Mar) so if anybody knows any contacts that may be helpful, drop a name!
thanks

I'm also interested in knowing which is the perfered way to get into the right seat. I've heard that somepeople look down upon paying for training like the fast track program or ATA's Phase II. Is this true? Besides financial, what are the benifits (if any) in terms of quality of pilot, of flight intructing over PFT.

Should I be concerned with the fact that FSI only has a contract with one airline, thus limiting my options?

Bluebaaron - I came with PPL, took me from Nov. 1, 2000 to Mar. 15, 2001 to get my ME, Instr, Comm'l ME tickets. Add 3 months for the ASA program, and there you have it. I should add, though, that I'm in the minority in terms of time to finish. Most people take it slower - I was VERY motivated and had a great instructor who was just as motivated.

Joel - From what I've seen and heard, I don't think most airline pilots consider FSI's ASA program to be "pay for training." What seems to be considered 'pay for training' are programs like Gulfstream's, where you pay something like $15,000 for the privelege of working for them as an FO for 250 hours, and once that's over, you may or may not be able to continue working for them. Others may have more input.

Back