Apollo 13

I'll be real disappointed with this country if we don't try to get going again in space. We haven't done a damn thing in the last 20 years.

Interesting that you bring this movie up...I worked as a camp counselor at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center (Space Camp) in 1994 when Tom Hanks and crew came to do "research" for the movie. We gave them a tour of the museum, put them in the shuttle simulator, mission control, the 1/6 gravity moon walk simulator, multi-axis trainer, MMU (Manned Maneuvering Unit) and all the other fun stuff there. I think they also took a tour of Marshall Space Flight Center, but I wasn't part of that activity. We weren't allowed to mention their presence to the campers or the media and we did alot of the stuff with them after hours and closed off entire portions of the facility to public access during regular hours.

Alan Shepard also made an appearance at the USSRC at about that time. I can't remember if he met the Apollo 13 movie crew or not.

Ironically, before I began working at USSRC I had always believed space history as it was taught to me throughout my school years. I remember watching the Saturn V rockets launching on TV and drawing pictures of them in grade school. Not until I began working there did I actually start to think about the missions, the technology needed, the political climate, and all other facets involved. I never had doubts until after I began working there.

After getting more and more interested and curious about the space program, I started asking questions about things that seemed illogical and inconsistent to me pertaining to the Apollo missions. Apparently, questioning the integrity of NASA is not a very good political move when you are employed by USSRC. I was harassed very frequently by several people there after I began doubting our presence on the moon. I also began to feel like an impostor, promoting a lie everytime I had to teach space flight history to campers.

My last day there was also ironic...July 20, 1994, the same day NASA allegedly landed on the moon. I had to quit as I felt I was just promoting a lie and that I couldn't trust anything that I thought I knew about the US Space program anymore. I would not be part of the Apollo coverup and massive miseducation of the public. In my defense though, I still wanted to believe it, I just wanted a reasonable explanation to my questions. I remain a firm believer that to this day, we have still NEVER landed on the moon.

I am not ready to fit you for a tin-foil hat yet...but you can't drop a bomb like this and simply leave it be. If you could list your reasons for believing this, then we could consider and debate them. I for one am interested in hearing why you think these things.

I'll be real disappointed with this country if we don't try to get going again in space. We haven't done a damn thing in the last 20 years.

Dude, where have you been? Have you even been following the space program, unlike the majority of the population that doesn't think NASA does anything but crash space shuttles? There are many innovations within the past 20 years (especially in the medical field) we all take for granted that are a direct result of discoveries made by astronauts in microgravity. They do all this with a relatively small budget that pay huge dividends to society that most don't appreciate.

Interesting that you bring this movie up...I worked as a camp counselor at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center (Space Camp) in 1994 when Tom Hanks and crew came to do "research" for the movie. We gave them a tour of the museum, put them in the shuttle simulator, mission control, the 1/6 gravity moon walk simulator, multi-axis trainer, MMU (Manned Maneuvering Unit) and all the other fun stuff there. I think they also took a tour of Marshall Space Flight Center, but I wasn't part of that activity. We weren't allowed to mention their presence to the campers or the media and we did alot of the stuff with them after hours and closed off entire portions of the facility to public access during regular hours.

Alan Shepard also made an appearance at the USSRC at about that time. I can't remember if he met the Apollo 13 movie crew or not.

Ironically, before I began working at USSRC I had always believed space history as it was taught to me throughout my school years. I remember watching the Saturn V rockets launching on TV and drawing pictures of them in grade school. Not until I began working there did I actually start to think about the missions, the technology needed, the political climate, and all other facets involved. I never had doubts until after I began working there.

After getting more and more interested and curious about the space program, I started asking questions about things that seemed illogical and inconsistent to me pertaining to the Apollo missions. Apparently, questioning the integrity of NASA is not a very good political move when you are employed by USSRC. I was harassed very frequently by several people there after I began doubting our presence on the moon. I also began to feel like an impostor, promoting a lie everytime I had to teach space flight history to campers.

My last day there was also ironic...July 20, 1994, the same day NASA allegedly landed on the moon. I had to quit as I felt I was just promoting a lie and that I couldn't trust anything that I thought I knew about the US Space program anymore. I would not be part of the Apollo coverup and massive miseducation of the public. In my defense though, I still wanted to believe it, I just wanted a reasonable explanation to my questions. I remain a firm believer that to this day, we have still NEVER landed on the moon.

I went there in 1995--missed you by a year! Well, as for the "Apollo Coverup", people love to come up with conspiracy theories for everything, from 9/11 to the Kennedy assassination. One conspiracy theory against the government I happen to know for a fact is false. With that said, nobody has shown me convincing evidence that the Apollo missions were a fraud. I've seen the documentaries--the theories are usually pretty easily explained away. I can't know for 100% certainty that it wasn't a conspiracy; I wasn't even alive yet much less an "insider". However, it's been said three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead; I highly doubt all the people involved would keep their pie holes closed if it wasn't a legitimate program. Our country can do amazing things when we commit to it and budget for it. I say it's more likely than not that we did, in fact, land on the moon.

Dude, where have you been? Have you even been following the space program, unlike the majority of the population that doesn't think NASA does anything but crash space shuttles? There are many innovations within the past 20 years (especially in the medical field) we all take for granted that are a direct result of discoveries made by astronauts in microgravity. They do all this with a relatively small budget that pay huge dividends to society that most don't appreciate.

I keep right up on it, I love space, in fact, secretly, like every other pilot born in the shuttle age, I want to be an astronaut, but the truth of the matter is, we haven't gone anywhere in quite awhile. The science is cutting edge, but we've been parked in LEO for too long. You can do a lot of geology digging holes in your backyard, but sometimes you need to go out to the mountains. We need to go back to the moon, we need to continue the stuff we started. The rovers on mars, probably the most technical achievement of our generation in terms of space are great, but I want more, and it appears that public support for manned space flight is waning and has been for years, which is disappointing for me. There are definitely triumphs in science, the Hubble for one, has changed the way we think about cosmology, but seriously, I want people out there.

-pat

Yesterday I had to do a checkout in a 152 at Houston Southwest AXH for a 100 block I bought and the instructor I went up with works for a contractor who does maintenance on the space suits for russia. (would think a russian company would do this but I think they make sure things are as interchangeable as possible with american stuff), I thought that was pretty cool, he's actually flying to moscow in a few weeks for some time, says he needs to bring an extra liver every time he goes over there. But he works in a room next to mission control for the ISS that all the contractors are in, so if they have issues with a piece of equipment they can bring in the engineers for each specific piece of equipment to fix things in flight.

I remain a firm believer that to this day, we have still NEVER landed on the moon.

Prove it.

You're entitled to your opinion; from a layperson point of view. . .and I'm assuming you're a layperson, for to make such a claim contradicts all the engineering data that supports the fact they did in fact land on the moon. I'm believing you're not an aeronautical engineer or have you majored in any of the astronautical studies, for there is far too much science and evidence to contradict all the lipservice the naysayers abound.

Oh, the world is flat too.

Back