AOPA "What went wrong?" Seminar

Slugger

Has anybody been to one? I just got a postcard in the mail from them saying there's one in Newton, MA (not too far from me) and it is free. I am thinking about going, as there's nothing to lose, but I'd like to know if it really is worthwhile.

... never regretted going to one. There's always something worthwhile that sinks in for me. Even when I hear stuff that I already know, it's good to hear it again. I try to make them every time I get a chance.

Sometimes those things count towards the BFR... yes/no? Eh, I go to them anyways!

Sometimes those things count towards the BFR... yes/no? Eh, I go to them anyways!
Yes, kinda. They are part of the FAA Safety Team "Wings" program. It does take a little understanding of how the program works to satisfy the 14 CFR 61.56 requirement that way, but it is well worth the effort. If for no other reason, your flight review (BFR) is memorialized on the FAA's computer and even if you lose your logbook, you have proof that you satisfied that requirement.

https://www.faasafety.gov/WINGS/documents/WINGSEasy_Participants.pdf

My wife is GA and I still fly GA so we've been to a couple of Wings presentations but never an AOPA one. Since my wife is a member of AOPA, we get the magazine and the website membership. If I had the day off to attend one, I'd go.

Education is priceless.

Several years ago when I was in flight school my roommate and I attended a drive-in movie double feature Horror show. Yeah, it was when Betamax VCR's cost $2K. Anyway, we were drinking our beer and eating our popcorn when one of the movie characters was trapped in a room with an ax murderer after him. My roommate says, "I'll bet he's wishing really hard for a .45 right now".

This statement fits nicely with the saying "better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it." For Pilots, this maxim applies to education too.

You'll never fly and find out you have too much education. I'm middle-aged, been flying since college way back when they still wore bell bottoms and mutton-chop sideburns and I'm still learning about flying almost every time I go up. There's always something to learn or relearn.

I'm a bit slow so sometimes something will be said in training or by an instructor which I either don't get or only think I get then, later on, the light goes on. "Oh yeah! That's what he meant!"

IMHO, anyone who says they know it all and don't need to learn anymore is an idiot.

I humbly recommend you attend the meeting. Have fun and maybe you'll pick up some useful information. It may not be obvious at the time, but I've rarely found factual information to be completely useless.

Went to one earlier in the year.....very helpful I will most likely go to this one as well. If it's free, it's for me!

I have not attended this particular seminar, but my experience with other AOPA seminars is that they are top notch. Educational and entertaining with good presenters.

Back