AOPA Legal Services Plan

vdsteelman

Hi,

Got a brochure in the mail the other day regarding AOPA's Legal Services Plan. I am a commercial pilot/CFII looking to build time and one day hopefully fly for an airline. I would like to get some feedback to this plan and if recommended, when I should purchase it. I don't do much flying right now but am hoping to get some students and fly regularly this spring. Any input, good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

I signed up after receiving one of those flyers through the door. I've spoken to them a couple of times about some things, and it was vaguely useful, and as I remember, it wasn't too expensive. I'm currently working on my CFI ratings, once I get them I'll definitely upgrade to the CFI level of coverage.

When I left the airlines for corporate I joined with ATP coverage. I'm sure it will be worth every penny should I ever find myself in need of legal services. The fact of the matter is that sometimes "stuff happens". You could have an altitude bust, or inadvertently land on the wrong runway, you could exceed 200 knots below class B... any number of accidents could result in certificate action.

When you are with the airlines the Association has lawyers to take care of these sorts of things. If you're not an airline pilot, it's all up to you to CYA.

When I left the airlines for corporate I joined with ATP coverage. I'm sure it will be worth every penny should I ever find myself in need of legal services. The fact of the matter is that sometimes "stuff happens". You could have an altitude bust, or inadvertently land on the wrong runway, you could exceed 200 knots below class B... any number of accidents could result in certificate action.

When you are with the airlines the Association has lawyers to take care of these sorts of things. If you're not an airline pilot, it's all up to you to CYA.

:yeahthat:

A couple years ago I allegedly busted a TFR while flying my personal aircraft. I'm very cautious and never thought I'd need the legal plan, but it sure was nice to be able to consult a professional when the unexpected happened.

Thankfully nothing ever came of my incident, but the AOPA plan definitely proved its value to me.

I've been a subscriber for years. Disclaimer: I'm also one of the Plan lawyers. (I feel like the Hair Club president) I think it's worth it. So do most of the folks I deal with, especially those who didn't have it before the violation.

To be honest about it, the Plan has its detractors. Not all lawyers are created equal and that goes for the lawyers in the Plan as much as it goes for lawyers in any other field. But that's offset by (a) the Plan lawyers get periodic training; (b) they tend to be pilots with a vested interest in doing a good job; and (c) you get to select the lawyer you want. If you call, AOPA will give you a list of lawyers in your area so you can call around and see whom you feel most comfortable with. You can go to the list itself and pick whom you want. And, if you know a lawyer you want who is not on the Plan, the Plan will cover it up to the Plan amounts anyway. Your self-selected attorney may charge more, but you'll be able to defray part of it.

I do not have the legal plan now but should have already had it, I think of it as any other insurance, you dont need it till you NEED it.

I have an honest question and I don't want this to be taken the wrong way. From the people that have had to use the plan due to some action being taken(and your experience as well Midlife), do they truly fight for you for such a low price? Or is it on the line of a public defender appointed to you. I know it will be different from lawyer to lawyer, but was curious about the service. It just doesn't seem like a lot of money if they have to spend numerous hours on your case.

Is it really possible to get out of a violation if you've had an altitude or airspace bust and they have you on radar?

I guess what I am asking is, if the facts are not in dispute, is there really any way to get around an enforcement action if the FAA goes after you? I can see if it is an issue of FAR interpretation, but what about the cut-and-dried violations?

NASA Aviation Safety Rreporting System (ASRS) is the only way to get out of one. The only way that you will not be able to use it is if you don't file within 10 days after the alleged incident, or you willfully break an FAR.

This would be you fly an airplane that has something broken on it and you know about it before you go flying, and still take the aircraft even though it is necessary for flight without getting it fixed. Then you are willfully breaking an FAR.

Is it really possible to get out of a violation if you've had an altitude or airspace bust and they have you on radar?

I guess what I am asking is, if the facts are not in dispute, is there really any way to get around an enforcement action if the FAA goes after you? I can see if it is an issue of FAR interpretation, but what about the cut-and-dried violations?
If the facts are clear cut and beyond dispute and the FAA dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's, then no (and the NASA form, when it applies only gets you out of the penalty, not the violation).

This isn't "immunity from prosecution" insurance; it's "get proper representation" insurance, which in some cases can come down to keeping you from making it worse. Might even help make it a little better. The penalties are in a range and where in the range you fall can be the subject of negotiation.

I have an honest question and I don't want this to be taken the wrong way. From the people that have had to use the plan due to some action being taken(and your experience as well Midlife), do they truly fight for you for such a low price? Or is it on the line of a public defender appointed to you. I know it will be different from lawyer to lawyer, but was curious about the service. It just doesn't seem like a lot of money if they have to spend numerous hours on your case.
The answer is that it's different from lawyer to lawyer. Just like public defenders. Some of the best criminal defense lawyers in the country are PDs.

No one is forcing these lawyers to accept these cases. They do it because they want to. The reasons why they "want to" may vary, but if the fee structure was unacceptable, they wouldn't do it. For some, the fees may even be substantial.

BTW, what doesn't seem like a lot of money? Have you checked on the fees that are paid?

The answer is that it's different from lawyer to lawyer. Just like public defenders. Some of the best criminal defense lawyers in the country are PDs.

No one is forcing these lawyers to accept these cases. They do it because they want to. The reasons why they "want to" may vary, but if the fee structure was unacceptable, they wouldn't do it. For some, the fees may even be substantial.

BTW, what doesn't seem like a lot of money? Have you checked on the fees that are paid?

Sorry, I guess I should have been a little more clear. I was referring to what the legal plan cost me, not what the lawyers were getting paid.

I joined after some . . . ummmm . . . unpleasantness which fortunately never went anywhere. Good basic insurance protection for not too much $$.

Sorry, I guess I should have been a little more clear. I was referring to what the legal plan cost me, not what the lawyers were getting paid.
The answer is still pretty much the same. The lawyers do their job because they want to handle these kinds of cases. The amount you pay doesn't really enter into the picture.

But there are are limits on what the plan covers that's reflected in the low cost. I don't recall all of them but, you can read them on the AOPA plan web site http://www.aopa.org/info/certified/lsp/

Back