AOPA Expo Breakfast

CK

Does any one want to have a JC's breakfast up in Philly? I'm pretty sure I'm goin up, but I don't know what days yet(not sure if I can skip school or not
tongue.gif
). I'm not farmiler with Philly so I guess some one else would have to set it up, but I would love to meet some of you.

Well Skygirl I think we'll have to forget about it. Unless you want to eat with me and my dad.

There's still time, I think people will pull through in the end. Ill ask around about good eats in the area.

I'll be going, but I have to work all week, so I won't be there until Saturday. What day did you have in mind? Is anyone going to the Halloween party?

I wouldn't mind meeting for breakfast on Saturday morning though. Let me know what you are thinking.

Grayson

Now that the convention is a bit closer - Ill revitalize this thread. We're still hoping to round up a few JCers, so lets us know if you're going to be in Philly area.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like AOPA

[/ QUOTE ]

I find their Flight Traing mag pretty good, other than that they don;t offer too much. If the wx is crap we will go down, if not we will go to our mtn home for the weekend. but only after the holloween party friday night I'll post pix pretty funny costume.

[ QUOTE ]
Okay I'll bite...why don't you like AOPA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Had a buddy that had been a member for quite a number of years. He tried to utilize their legal defense for action that was being taken against his ATP certificate under the "good moral character" BS. Apparently, post 9/11, the feds began reviewing the police records of all who have FAA licenses. He had on his record a charge which had been dismissed, but had not been expunged from his record. The feds decided to suspend his ATP for a period of 6 months, which he appealed to the NTSB and lost. AOPA didn't choose to offer legal assistance when he inquired regardless of his status as a member.

Dude! That sucks.

Kinda surprises me, but then again PR can make anybody look good...I mean some PR firm convinced an entire state to elect Arnold.

So I take it after the FAA suspended it, they revoked it.

Naunga

I'm not going to renew my membership. They don't do much of anything for me, except get their little ASF to call me (on my $&#^ cell phone no less) and ask for money. Bastards. I get Flight Training for free, so I'll just stick to that. Other than that, AOPA can kiss it.

[ QUOTE ]
Dude! That sucks.

Kinda surprises me, but then again PR can make anybody look good...I mean some PR firm convinced an entire state to elect Arnold.

So I take it after the FAA suspended it, they revoked it.

Naunga

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it was suspended for 6 months pending revocation. He successfully appealed the revocation, but the suspension stood, even though the suspension was, IMO (and legally too) groundless. So now in his corporate job, he can only fly as SIC until he gets his ATP back in another 3 months. Point is, he's been dumping money into that pissant AOPA since he was a student pilot, and what does he get for it when he asks for a little help when it's needed? Nothing.

AOPA is fairly worthless IMO in many other ways. Look how much good they did for Meigs and other GA fields that have closed/curtailed flight ops over the years. I've got nothing I care about for them, except for a few good articles in their magazine. Besides that, they're just another Washington lobby looking for any pilot's $$$.

IMO, AOPA is one of those worthless things in aviation, much like Sporty's Pilot shop and their overinflated prices.

Gah!

I just renewed today after being inactive for about four years.

$39 down the drain?

[ QUOTE ]
Get your own topic
mad.gif

Just kidding...............

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all AOPA talk......

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like AOPA

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that! I dropped them this year after 13 yrs. I think they have forgotten who they serve. I got sick of all the mailings I got from companies that AOPA sold my name to.

The new flight planning package they are rolling out is pretty slick. It may not be as good as what you have access to, but at least for GA pilots it is quite nice.

Hey Mike D: Was your friend paying for the "Aopa legal defense fund"? That does not come with the basic dues. Example: a private pilot can get this insurance for an extra $26 per month, comm and ATP are more. So if he just payed his basic membership than he would not receive this. Before anyone asks I do not work for AOPA.

Louie

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Mike D: Was your friend paying for the "Aopa legal defense fund"? That does not come with the basic dues. Example: a private pilot can get this insurance for an extra $26 per month, comm and ATP are more. So if he just payed his basic membership than he would not receive this. Before anyone asks I do not work for AOPA.

Louie

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he had the basic membership and was paying into the defense fund.

The legal defense fund thing that AOPA offers is only a cursory brief of your situation. I think you are limited to 3 hours of legal counsel with a locally approved AOPA attorney. Chances are they will look at your case and just say, "Yup, you need to hire me for sure! How does a $10,000 retainer to get started grab ya?"

So Mike, you are military so this doesn't apply as much, but who would you have, out of the current organizations out there, to do your bidding in Washington?

I have been a member of many many organizations for other industries. IMHO, AOPA provides a lot. Sorry that a lot is only a lot more than those who provide nothing but it is still something.

To all the ney sayers: Can you have an organization that represents the majority's opinions/needs? Would the industry be better off without AOPA?

Back