Anything for a buck

MissedApproach

AmWest will turn tray tables into ad space

Each jet in America West's 139-plane fleet will begin carrying advertising on tray tables. The airline hopes the idea will set it apart.

1210amwestads10.jpg

Dawn Gilbertson
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 10, 2003 12:00 AM

America West Airlines may soon find it harder to issue the obligatory passenger warning about putting your tray table "in its full upright and locked position" before takeoff.

On Tuesday, it announced a novel agreement to sell ads on the fold-down trays.

Beginning this weekend, the tray tables turn into moneymakers on all of the carrier's jets.

America West has signed a deal with Las Vegas-based SkyMedia International to sell ads on the tops of the trays, becoming the first airline to feature such advertising.

Three major advertisers - Bank of America Visa, the History Channel and Mercedes-Benz USA - have signed on so far. The space is 90 percent sold out for the first quarter of next year and the airline expects to be completely sold out by the end of the week, said Scott Kirby, executive vice president of sales and marketing. Each plane will have only one advertiser.

Kirby said the airline was attracted to the ads by the revenue potential but declined to discuss financial details. The cost ranges from $2,500 to $3,300 per month per plane depending on the number of planes the ad is on. America West has 139 planes.

The ads are America West's latest attempt to stand out in the industry and boost revenue. Other recent programs include its on-board food sales, first-class upgrades and new business fares.

Advertisers like the tray-table idea because they've got a captive, generally affluent audience. America West's average flight its 2½ hours long and coast-to-coast trips top five hours.

With consumers bombarded with ads everywhere they turn, businesses are seeking niches like this, said Jim Ward, professor of advertising at Arizona State University's W.P. Carey School of Business.

But he added that there is the potential the ads will turn off some passengers.

"Companies are really looking for places that will guarantee people's attention," he said. "People are going to be staring at these tray tables."

Even though passengers will be able to avoid the ads by keeping their tray tables up, Ward said there is the potential the ads will turn off some.

"People who object to too many billboards ... I suspect will find it offensive," he said.

Yeah, thats about as bad as those damn ads they play at movie theaters now with the previews, it's so annoying
mad.gif

No to be a flamer, but shouldn't you not be going to the movies on such a small budget? (I'm just kidding. I think what AW is doing sucks a whole lot because you know all the other airlines are going to be clamoring in line right behind them. Maybe I'll start selling tray table covers... Yeah, that way I can pay for my flight training AND go see movies!)

Ethan

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, thats about as bad as those damn ads they play at movie theaters now with the previews, it's so annoying
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I HATE that!

Maybe its just a devious mind, but I think those ads will attract grafitti ... mustaches and devil horns on faces, bullet holes in cars, flames coming out of household appliances. As long as I always have the option of putting the ad away, it seems cool with me if I can put my nuts (and a beverage) on an E class mercedes.

Most of the people that fly coach probably can't afford a Mercedes anyway, they might wanna just put that one in 1st class!
grin.gif

I don't like it either but you know what, it's a great idea from a business perspective. The customers may think it's cheesy and annoying but are any of them actually not going to fly again because of them (like the movie theater ads, we don't like them, but we still go to the movies!).

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe its just a devious mind, but I think those ads will attract grafitti ... mustaches and devil horns on faces, bullet holes in cars, flames coming out of household appliances.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man you've got it al figured out!

We'll have to take your markers away before the next flight!
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the people that fly coach probably can't afford a Mercedes anyway, they might wanna just put that one in 1st class!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it that, or maybe some people choose to fly coach so that they CAN afford a Mercedes...???

wink.gif

I went to Vegas two weeks ago for a 6 day vacation and the cab that picked me up had a flat panel-touch screen add monitor attached to the back of the front passenger seat. It displayed adds and if you wanted more info you would just touch the corresponding add and choose to print it out. What a novel idea. Technolgy is your friend. Usually.

[ QUOTE ]
I went to Vegas two weeks ago for a 6 day vacation and the cab that picked me up had a flat panel-touch screen add monitor attached to the back of the front passenger seat. It displayed adds and if you wanted more info you would just touch the corresponding add and choose to print it out. What a novel idea. Technolgy is your friend. Usually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of reminds me of Starship Troopers.....interactive news!!!

As long as they don't have that godawful ad for the "Rosewood Grill" in Las Vegas with the mobster-looking guy holding the gigantic lobster, I think I can hang.

For some reason, that ad drives me crazy.

[ QUOTE ]
it seems cool with me if I can put my nuts on an E class mercedes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man if I ever can afford a mercedes I know who I'm not inviting over
shocked.gif

Aww, come on, guys. If the ad is tastefully done, then it will be okay. I sure as hell don't want to see an ad for life insurance on that tray, though.

Think of how much we said we hated the signs at the ballpark. Then someone pointed out, well, back in the "good old days" they had ads all over the stadium and people said, you know, those things aren't so bad.

From an advertising standpoint, I don't know if the tray table ads are such a good idea. You want to target based on demographics, and those aircraft have a wide mix of people on them. If you're trying to reach soccer moms with household incomes of more than $75K a year who drive minivans or SUVs, you can't be sure how many people in that demographic will see the ad.

And before you laugh, yes, advertisers will ask to reach that specific, or more specific, of a demographic.

[ QUOTE ]
it seems cool with me if I can put my nuts on an E class mercedes.

[/ QUOTE ]

who says taking things out of context isn't funny?

I am waiting for the first condom ad! Oh please, but no ads for feminine products. Tacky & creative, but it can be annoying. Wondering would American West take money from Jetblue, if Jetblue wanted to run an ad?

[ QUOTE ]
Aww, come on, guys. If the ad is tastefully done, then it will be okay. I sure as hell don't want to see an ad for life insurance on that tray, though.

Think of how much we said we hated the signs at the ballpark. Then someone pointed out, well, back in the "good old days" they had ads all over the stadium and people said, you know, those things aren't so bad.

From an advertising standpoint, I don't know if the tray table ads are such a good idea. You want to target based on demographics, and those aircraft have a wide mix of people on them. If you're trying to reach soccer moms with household incomes of more than $75K a year who drive minivans or SUVs, you can't be sure how many people in that demographic will see the ad.

And before you laugh, yes, advertisers will ask to reach that specific, or more specific, of a demographic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps airlines will start placing you into seats that have adverts. aimed at your demo based on all the info they can obtain from you web surfing habits when you book online. [tongue in cheeck]
wink.gif

It's no worse that having to look at an ad while you're standing at a urinal or seeing one on the back of the door in a bathroom stall. Can you say "Captive audience?
grin.gif
"

I think that there are so many ads in society now that people just tune them out. I think that marketing companies are reaching a point of diminishing returns. I mean, how many banner ads do you actually notice?

Back