Anything around Detroit?

crazyjeep

Anything around Detroit? Lowtime, CFI, etc.

Hey all, I hate posting in here, and wish the economy hasn't hurt Detroit the way it is. I have gone to pretty much every FBO in the Detroit area, handed out my resume, talked to people. Even had a possible job in December. Trying to get my feet wet in this industry.

Im just about to 300 hrs. CFI, MEI, CFI-I. Anybody who know somebody who knows somebody who has a line on something would be great. :) Thanks ahead of time for any insight you can give.

I spent today knocking away at the dream. 16 calls. 7 faxes sent, 1 or 2 maybes that turned into, not at this time. I even got one to laugh at me, and say we only hire from within. Amusing to say the least.

I hate to say it, but I get the feeling the only way for me to be a CFI in my area would be to buy my own airplane and start there. I got no quarrel finding students. Oh well. Maybe I can convince someone at the FBO to let me utilize their airplane. :(

What other options for a person like me are out there. Question for you 135 guys, they ever take/need right seat guys/help. I even looked around for a ramp job, nothing. :(

You may have to take your show on the road, try one of the aviation schools in Michigan, maybe WMU or something? It sucks everywhere right now but keep trying, and good luck.

Oh, I am trying. :) Not as easy as being single. I am married. :) And while at flight school last summer we had a, OOPS. :) So I got a 12 week old at home. I am taking it all in stride. The plan was for her to be a Traveling Nurse of sorts, and I go where the jobs are. But, unexpected things come in small packages. :)

All my buds from flight school are rubbing it in, some banner towing, some as CFI's, one lucky SOB is flying King Airs.

You may have to take your show on the road, try one of the aviation schools in Michigan, maybe WMU or something? It sucks everywhere right now but keep trying, and good luck.

WMU is for sure NOT hiring. They've been anti-hiring ... laying a ton of instructor off.

I know Flight 101 follows the individual contractor method, so if you're sure you have the students, I'd make the argument to chip that you are guaranteed to bring him money, and having one more instructor will just cause the other instructors to have to work harder to get more students. Wow, what a run on sentence!

WMU is for sure NOT hiring. They've been anti-hiring ... laying a ton of instructor off.

I know Flight 101 follows the individual contractor method, so if you're sure you have the students, I'd make the argument to chip that you are guaranteed to bring him money, and having one more instructor will just cause the other instructors to have to work harder to get more students. Wow, what a run on sentence!

Just remember with Flight 101 you will be required to work around the building and answer phones even if you don't have any students for a couple of hours. Low pay and no bennies. You may get a few hours in the 421 and King Air if you are lucky..

Try beating down the door at Royal Air, right next Flight 101. They sometimes hire low time FO's for the E-110 Bandit. You will want to talk to Kirt Kostich. He is the owner/DO and a nice guy. The squeeky wheel definately gets the oil there...If you want to fly freight keep bugging them you will eventually get it.

You also have corpflight across the field from Flight 101. VLL/7D2 used to have a flight school.

Good luck as I know there isn't much out there right now. But keep it up you will eventually find something and may have to move to get it.

Back