Anyone who knows a Diabetic please respond.

JohnGalt

I have a history of diabetes in my family. My grandpa, my dad’s dad, has diabetes. He has diabetes for over 15 years now. This makes me more likely to get diabetes. I know back in the time my grandfather did not eat too much sugary, high cholesterol, high fat junk. For one reason, it wasn’t readily available everywhere. But now all this junk is everywhere. I usually drink a 32 ounce of M.Dew everyday, so far I don’t have diabetes. But my question to you guys is, if you are or know someone who is diabetic can you give me some insight on how their diet looked on a day to day basis BEFORE they became diabetic?

My grandmother died of diabetes before I was born, so I guess I'm in kind of the same position you are in. Although I'm not 100% sure of how diabetes works, I'm pretty sure that it is a genetic condition, and is more dependant on genetics than diet. However I do believe diet has somthing to do with it, but if you have a healthy diet there's not much else you can do to prevent it, if you are destined to get it through genetics.

The good news is there are 2 types of diabetes, type 1 and type 2, I forget which is which but one is child onset and the other is adult onset. If you get it as an adult its usually the type that can be controlled by diet, exercise, and oral medication, and most likely won't be a factor for your medical. Child onset is the type that has to be controlled by insulin injections.

C130Pilot, I am a Mt. Dew junkie too. I asked a doctor that I know specifically about drinking a lot of sodas. Basically his answer was that the diabetes risk factor is increased by being overweight, not specifically by sugar. It's just that sodas have a ton of calories so they can make you overweight real easy.

[ QUOTE ]
My grandmother died of diabetes before I was born, so I guess I'm in kind of the same position you are in. Although I'm not 100% sure of how diabetes works, I'm pretty sure that it is a genetic condition, and is more dependant on genetics than diet. However I do believe diet has somthing to do with it, but if you have a healthy diet there's not much else you can do to prevent it, if you are destined to get it through genetics.

The good news is there are 2 types of diabetes, type 1 and type 2, I forget which is which but one is child onset and the other is adult onset. If you get it as an adult its usually the type that can be controlled by diet, exercise, and oral medication, and most likely won't be a factor for your medical. Child onset is the type that has to be controlled by insulin injections.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the above is old info, which proves to be untrue these days. Specifically the 'adult-juvenile onset diabetes' info. You can develop either type of diabetes at any point in life. This is especially true of Type 2 diabetes. Unhealthy, obese children can very easily have Type 2 diabetes early in life. Basically, Type I is more difficult to control, i.e. insulin injections...but Type I diabetics also control their diabetes by eating properly. Type 2 diabetes can be a factor on your medical. There are some very unhealthy Type 2 diabetics out there that won't pass a Class 3 medical. Type 2 diabetics mainly control their diabetes with diet and oral medications like Glucophage. Type 2 is essentially caused by constantly high levels of sugar, and therefore insulin, in the body. So, high amounts of simple sugars in the diet are root cause of Type 2 diabetes--not simply obesity.

My aunt had Type I diabetes and died from complications. My mom has Type II diabetes. She has been living on sweets for a couple of decades, which probably contributed to the diabetes. She still has not changed her eating habits and, unfortunately, will probably die from complications
frown.gif

My father had a mild non-insulin dependent diabetes most of his life (not from weight or sweets) and I had two different tests to see if I had some sort of gene for it but it came up negative.

i was just recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I didnt didnt drink alot of soda that often and i still got it. If there is a family history of it then you may get it no matter how much soda you drink but drinking a lot still isnt good for you. But if you do get diabetes your not supposed to drink regular soda only diet.

I take insulin shots for my diabetes. Is that going to affect my being able to get a medical certificate and flying?

I think if you're insulin dependent, yes. But I'm not too sure!

my grandmother is diabetic. the doctor told her diabeties can be brought on by traumatic experiences. she developed it just after my grandfather died. no one else in the family has it. found that to be interesting. she controls her sugar with scheduled eating habits

I believe I remember one AME telling me that the FAA has certified about 250 people that have type I insulin dependant diabeties with first class medicals. It used to be an automatic disqualifier with no chance of getting a medical, but I THINK that has changed recently (within the last 5 years).

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Back