Anyone monitoring "guard" around noon near New Orleans?

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Anyone monitoring \"guard\" around noon near New Orleans?

There was some Cessna calling in an engine-out/mayday over the gulf south of New Orleans tuesday afternoon very urgently. We all spent about 15 minutes trying to contact him.

His last radio call he said he was at 300 feet over the water near point something near New Orleans.

Anyone hear anything about this near LA?

Re: Anyone monitoring \"guard\" around noon near New Orleans?

Nope, though I doubt it would have been all over the news, but I thought I would have read it on the search site I use to announce news over the radio. Maybe so...I dont see anything on the FAA site. Smokey would probally be able to find out by news...

Maybe it was this..........

Young pilots survive emergency landing in N.O. East
05:34 PM CST on Tuesday, December 23, 2003

WWLTV.com

Two young Mississippi pilots escaped disaster Tuesday afternoon after their plane went down in the marshes near Lake Borgne.

According to pilot 19-year-old Emerald “Sky” Powers, the plane was heading from Kiln Mississippi to Houma when he and his co-pilot, 17-year-old Allen St. Germain, encountered engine trouble in their single-engine Cessna.

Once the pair made the emergency landing, they called the NOPD on a cell phone.

The crash site was inaccessible by cars, and police used a helicopter to rescue the two men.

“It was scary at first, but we were trained very well and it probably saved our lives,” said St. Germain.

The plane sustained minor structural damage, and the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the incident.

I'm not in New Orleans right now, but i called my old instructor and he told me that an airplane flying from Gulfport, Mississippi crashed in one of the marshes in the practice area today. Thankfully the pilot made it out and was picked up by helicopter. I hope this helps.

Smokey.

Whew that must have been it. I even got to briefly talk to the coast guard about what I heard over 121.5 today. Weird.

Here I was all fat dumb and happy at FL 280 on Q100 over the gulf and I hear:

Mayday maybe, this is Cessna (something), we've lost an engine, we're 300 feet above the water, mayday mayday

This guy was talking fast and fierce and by the sound of his voice, it sounded like he knew he wasn't going to make it.

Fortunatley he did, man I guess I can sleep better tonight!
smile.gif

Glad to hear that they are ok. I wonder how he got his nickname "sky" in the papers?

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how he got his nickname "sky" in the papers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely from what he was scanning for the rescue chopper.
grin.gif

Glad this one turned out good. Two Lear jet pilots in Cali weren't so lucky today.
frown.gif

Back