Anyone had to fire a CFI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazzler

I was close to firing my CFI during my PPL training because he yelled at me. I decided to give him another chance, however I made sure that he knew that I thought his behaviour was uncalled for. He didn't do it again.

Anyone had to fire a CFI ?

Maybe they were incompetent, yelled at you, made inappropriate remarks, or ripped you off financially?
mad.gif

Or maybe even you felt physically attracted to them and it was proving to be disruptive to your training?
blush.gif

Tell your story here!

yeah, i didnt really fire my ppl cfi, but he did yell at me once when learnign to land. never really got over that. he was overworked and flying a hell of alot. he came over from another flight school(rumour has it that is how they taught, by yelling) and was in that mindset. when it came time to do the x-c phase of the training i used the fact that i couldnt get him on my schedule as an excuse to find someone else. it all worked out for the best in the end. he had way too many students as it was, and i needed someone with more time to give. imagine being on your5th flight wiht a primary student of the day and practicing landings in 90 degree heat at a crappy local airfield and your student consistently bounces and drifts and nearly breaks the plane because he doesnt realize hes landing in a crosswing b/c hes never been told....tempers flared and go the best of both us.

I did. And it was well documented in the CFI forum (I think that's the one - maybe the Squawk).

The instructor who did my PPL was a fantastic PPL instructor. However, when we started into the IR training - the guy changed over night. He began yelling in the cockpit. Scolding - NOT offering any advice on what I was doing wrong, just telling me that I was "WRONG!"

NEVER taught anything about power settings. Had NOTHING planned from lesson to lesson and had no idea what we did from lesson to lesson.

Anyway... long story short(ish) - we had a heart to heart, I asked him to provide me a written plan on how we were going to finish the rating and gave him three weeks to do so.

When I arrived for the meeting, not only did he not have anything planned or written, he then tried to dump me off on another instructor who said that he'd occasionally be "blowing me off for multi-engine time".

Not only did he get his self fired by me, his FBO lost my business - about a $15,000 - $20,000 loss.

Yep, I did once. He stepped out of bounds by ignoring what I asked of him and only doing what he wanted.

While i was doing my IFR, i had a CFI that was always barking at me. After dealing with him for 30 hours of IFR- i dumbed him and never called him back or seen him again. He still calls and leaves messages of my whereabouts in my phone but-too late now! Never stick around with a CFI that yells at you, because most of the time they have no confidence in themselves or, have some type of personal problems. Yelling CFIs do nothing(other than the money) but degrade your confidence and your love of flying.Stay away from them as soon as you can can!

n77j - you should really call the guy and/or answer one of his calls and be professional. Tell him you've made other arrangements.

"I was close to firing my CFI during my PPL training because he yelled at me"

That makes me laugh. I think I yell at most of my students once in a while. Yelling as a way to vent or as a common occurance is not acceptable. Sometimes, though, to reinforce something very important in the nature of safety, I'll raise my voice for effect. Doing this on a regular basis would make it meaningless. Some things said just need to get through to the inner cortex of the brain and raising your voice helps get through all that grey matter.

I had an ex-student, who is now a CFI himself, tell me I saved his life. He owns a Cheokee 140 and flew it heavy out of mountain, grass strip one summer day. While the trees were coming at him and it was looking like it was a mistake to takeoff, he heard me yelling at him to lower the nose to get his speed to Vx. A heavy Cherokee just won't climb at low speeds like a Cessna will. He thinks he'd have gone into the trees if he hadn't "heard my voice".

I don't think it's ever right to vent at a student by yelling. My 727 F/O instructor was a type A and yelled a lot in the sim. It was a really bad experience for both of us. He had quadruple bypass surgery not long after.

I'd like to say that you will change in your views when an instructor "barks" at you.

I know I have.

Example: Last night, my instructor and I were shooting single-engine approaches in the Travel Air.

It's been a while (since September) that I've shot a single-engine approach, so I was admittedly a little rusty.

Okay.. a LOT rusty.
laugh.gif

So, I'm intercepting the localizer, told to contact tower, reach over to switch to tower and my instructor fails the engine.

What do I do? I CALL TOWER instead of going through the "Mixtures, Props, Throttles full. Flaps Up. Gear UP" routine.

He chewed me a new one and I deserved it.

ready2fly- i would have apologized but when someone says profanity words and yells at me- i take that very personal. I am a very mellow type of person and i have a lot of patience. But this CFI always got the devil out of me and every morning i hated going to the airport just because of him. He was very mean fellow
mad.gif

I was close to firing mine.

He was a really nice guy just didn't make a good instructor.

Since I was having trouble with app and landing he'd explain to me one way to visualize and set-up everything and it just wasn't getting through to me...so rather than use another approach he just said that same one over and over again. I never got it.

Yep
Was getting current and the CFI had something to prove, well anyways on the downwind departure for the practice area ... I pulled the power to idle. The CFI asked what I was doing, I responded Landing, he asked why since we had briefed a downwind departure for upper air review. My honest response was ... "because I aint paying for this [expletive deleted]". I got recurrent with another CFI.

[ QUOTE ]
While i was doing my IFR, i had a CFI that was always barking at me. After dealing with him for 30 hours of IFR- i dumbed him and never called him back or seen him again. He still calls and leaves messages of my whereabouts in my phone but-too late now! Never stick around with a CFI that yells at you, because most of the time they have no confidence in themselves or, have some type of personal problems. Yelling CFIs do nothing(other than the money) but degrade your confidence and your love of flying.Stay away from them as soon as you can can!

[/ QUOTE ]

To rub salt in his eye, you should add a little blurb on your Voicemail, about you can't be reached because you must be out flying w/ you instructor!! :)

With all the stories of firings because an instructor yelled at you, I have to ask if anyone has played HS and/or college football, track, basketball, etc. (or anything else competitive where other people's jobs and/or big dollars were at stake). The reason is that having a HS and college football coach showed an aggressive, passionate side of things. My track coach showed a mellow, passionate side of things. When I hear someone yell at me, usually it's because I'm messing up or they really want me to get something.
If I feel offended I snap back. Did that, only when I felt offended, with every instructor I've had that got out of line and there were never any incidents like that again.
Besides, firing someone because they yelled at you is very funny to me. I can see if he threatened to knock your lights out while yelling, but if all he did was yell, yell back or something. Set him or her straight!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife's CFI fell asleep during a lesson. Unfortunately (for him) I had also been giving her lessons "on the side"... ya know, "here, honey, take it for a while"...

Anyway, she had perfected the art of the stall in our plane... imagine the look on his face/condition of his underwear when the stall warning went off during his poorly timed nap...

In retrospect, though, I don't think she had to actually fire him, I think he quit...

Priceless

CFI's yelling... sounds like a lot of over sensitive mumbo jumbo. If your instructor yells at you and you don't like it, change instructors. Trust me there are much worse things an instructor can do besides shut off your learning switch with a raised voice, and don't take it personal the guy is probably making less than a greeter at walmart and doing this now because he is stuck and can't really tell you all of the details (some do), and if you are training for the airlines watch out this person may be your superior one day. I am a CFI and have been for over 10 years and I can tell you yelling usually only shuts people down, however, just like teaching little children- causing the student to take you extra serious once in a blue moon for affect can have a positive role(Like not bending the firewall on a hard landing because you zoned out, or when the student cross controls base to final and gets around 40 knots!). Now that I have alot of teaching experience I can say there is not hardly a time where screaming at people does any good, but there are those moments when a human character trait will appear especially when one stops to consider the ramifications of what his/her student is doing and how it could turn out in 5 years.

I fired an instructor during my primary training. I had 20ish hrs and had moved
so needed a new instructor. He took me up in a 152, and after we went chasing deer just a little above the treetops, I decided not to come back.

As far as the yelling, I occasionally yell at a student, but ONLY when I truly believe that it is a life critical situation and it's more of a very forceful (in the AF they called it "command voice") than it is really yelling.

Edit: Humm... didn't realize I was replying to such an old thread.... Just saw the new post and thought it was one I'd missed....:rolleyes:

Just for fun...on the other side of this fence,...anyone ever fire a student for being too sensitive...?

CFI's yelling... sounds like a lot of over sensitive mumbo jumbo. If your instructor yells at you and you don't like it, change instructors. Trust me there are much worse things an instructor can do besides shut off your learning switch with a raised voice, and don't take it personal the guy is probably making less than a greeter at walmart and doing this now because he is stuck and can't really tell you all of the details (some do), and if you are training for the airlines watch out this person may be your superior one day. I am a CFI and have been for over 10 years and I can tell you yelling usually only shuts people down, however, just like teaching little children- causing the student to take you extra serious once in a blue moon for affect can have a positive role(Like not bending the firewall on a hard landing because you zoned out, or when the student cross controls base to final and gets around 40 knots!). Now that I have alot of teaching experience I can say there is not hardly a time where screaming at people does any good, but there are those moments when a human character trait will appear especially when one stops to consider the ramifications of what his/her student is doing and how it could turn out in 5 years.

Creepy Necroposters.......Just a frickin crime against nature

4 years........wow....

Not only a 4 year Necropost, but a 4 year Necropost as a first post! :banghead:

That has to be some kind of record!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back