Anyone else enjoy diversions

A1TAPE

Had a divert today and had 1 second of OH S$&$$$ then got in the zone. Yes it sucks to divert but it’s somewhat easier if it’s to your planned alt. Station (at least online) should know you’re coming. Heck we get the phone call 1 second after seeing the tag change in our map. It’s harder when diverting to offline stations and playing phone call roulette to see who actually showed up to work at the airport. Double if they can take an no APU plane.

Now granted if it’s an emergency I’ll tell the crew our options and they can drop into the one we feel most safe using.

Uh. No.

There’s nothing positive about a diversion. They’re a part of our life, but I would never wish them on anyone.

Diversions cause a high threat level due to a very large and quasi-unexpected increase in workload on both the crew and the dispatcher. Passengers don’t get to their destinations or connections. Aircraft and crew are now out of position causing downline impacts the entire day.

Is this a s*itpost?

I don’t enjoy diversions, but I do ‘enjoy’ when they work out quick and easy. When everyone is on the same page and the station/FBO turn the bird quickly. But no, one of our main purposes as dispatchers is to avoid diversions.

I have never once enjoyed a diversion. If anything, they've always ruined otherwise good days and just left me grumpy on the way home.

The only diversion that was remotely close to "enjoyable", was more just funny at my own expense. While I was doing OJT at my regional I was almost to the end of OJT and on to my comp check with no diversions. My trainer and I were running our mouths about how we had no diversions, then poof, unexpected fog at MRY and my flight was diverting. It was the universes way of telling me to shut up, which I promptly did.

I have never once enjoyed a diversion. If anything, they've always ruined otherwise good days and just left me grumpy on the way home.

The only diversion that was remotely close to "enjoyable", was more just funny at my own expense. While I was doing OJT at my regional I was almost to the end of OJT and on to my comp check with no diversions. My trainer and I were running our mouths about how we had no diversions, then poof, unexpected fog at MRY and my flight was diverting. It was the universes way of telling me to shut up, which I promptly did.
The dispatch gods always will intervene. Recently, I wasn’t thinking, made the offhand comment on how I hadn’t had a diversion in awhile. Boom! Snakebit the next day at a completely VFR and small airport that has a random security issue and shuts off all arrivals.

I see your unexpected fog at MRY and raise you Florida in the winter early mornings. Brings the word nowcasting to a whole new level. Who needs TAFs anyway?

yeah i can’t say i enjoy them either lol. even though sometimes they are completely unavoidable, i still feel like i’ve failed the crew in some way

I do "enjoy" looking back at it after the fact and seeing I handled the divert workload well and the continuation remained smooth or my communication/planning specifically avoided a likely divert. In the moment though, I'm usually too busy pulling my hair out to enjoy it.

I do "enjoy" looking back at it after the fact and seeing I handled the divert workload well and the continuation remained smooth or my communication/planning specifically avoided a likely divert. In the moment though, I'm usually too busy pulling my hair out to enjoy it.
Yeah thats what I was getting at. Yes actually working the divert sucks but it feels good to know I handled it well and kept on going about my shift.

When an old station DO called us up at end-of-shift and told us Lufthansa was sending our little world a 47, I think the state sent The Media.

They called back and said "Just kidding, ZNY let us in" and we all breathed a sigh of relief.

Til the phone rang from DGS, and the Delta desk just said "We're sorry" when a 330 was headed our way.

Diversions are misery.

You can take my "Super Efficient" 777 whenever you're ready. Bonus round: 49-11-whatever the number is.

When an old station DO called us up at end-of-shift and told us Lufthansa was sending our little world a 47, I think the state sent The Media.

They called back and said "Just kidding, ZNY let us in" and we all breathed a sigh of relief.

Til the phone rang from DGS, and the Delta desk just said "We're sorry" when a 330 was headed our way.

Diversions are misery.

You can take my "Super Efficient" 777 whenever you're ready. Bonus round: 49-11-whatever the number is.
49-11-01

Much better than 28-22-04

49-11-01

Much better than 28-22-04
49-11-01 really ruins any good alternate selection. Whenever I had a plane with that MEL the first thing I would do time permitting is call every downline station that planes on and see if they have working equipment. It was like playing the lottery to see if anyone was working at the airport that day and also if they had equipment.

Just me but, no. I don't like it when my customers blow connections and crews risk timing out, stranding them. I don't like the downline impacts they have and seeing the chain reaction of negative impacts on my airline.

Doesn't matter how well I handle them or the adrenaline from stepping up. It's ain't about me. WTF?

Back