Anyone catch this -- AA @ LGA

JumpWake

Didn't see this posted yet...anyone at LGA yesterday evening?
Linky
AA makes emergency landing at JFK
(AP) - An American Airlines jet made an emergency landing Monday at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport after one of its two engines lost power. Airline officials said there were no injuries.

The MD-80 took off from LaGuardia airport bound for Atlanta, but the crew immediately noticed they did not have full power, an American spokesman said.

"They powered it back, shut down the engine as they're trained to do, continued to fly on one engine and made a totally normal landing at JFK" 20 minutes later, the spokesman said.

Both the engine and engine debris found on the runway at LaGuardia will be examined to determine the cause of the failure.

There were 139 passengers and a crew of five aboard the plane. About 80 were put on the next American flight to Atlanta, and the remaining passengers were booked on other airlines, the spokesman said.

The MD-80 has two engines mounted on the rear of the plane. Like all twin-engine planes used in commercial aviation, it is designed to fly on one engine in case of failure, although that can make for a slower ascent.

It was not clear when the American jet had its last major maintenance inspection. The airline spokesman said the engine failure was not related to the grounding of American's MD-80 fleet this spring to correct the packing of electrical wires.
diamond.gif

©Copyright 2008 Associated Press.
Hats off to the crew!

So this is why my commute through LGA was delayed yesterday.....

As we were getting ready to pushback-literally at the last minute the call of a ground stop for an "accident" at LGA was made. We all got back off the plane, then reboarded about 1 hour later and off we were.

Good work for the crew though! Glad to hear it all worked out!

"The MD-80 has two engines mounted on the rear of the plane. Like all twin-engine planes used in commercial aviation, it is designed to fly on one engine in case of failure, although that can make for a slower ascent."

I would like to see what AP news would have to say about the Navajo at MGTOW....

Yep, I was there. We were sitting on spot 22 waiting to taxi when ground asked for radio silence to work the emergency. Wound up taxiing for over 90 minutes until they got the coordination w/ JFK and the runway cleaned up.

Nice job by the crew.....good for my paycheck too!

"The MD-80 has two engines mounted on the rear of the plane. Like all twin-engine planes used in commercial aviation, it is designed to fly on one engine in case of failure, although that can make for a slower ascent."

I would like to see what AP news would have to say about the Navajo at MGTOW....

I'd rather see that than the opposite.

The whole airplanes are dangerous angle....:banghead:

Back