anyone at Ari or been there recently

shooter13

Anyone been to Ari recently? I'd love to hear some experiences fromstudents/instructors/even Mike Cohen...

I am an instructor there. I am keeping very busy.

Several instructors are leaving for jobs within the next few days.
laugh.gif
Time to start working on my resume.

What would you like to know....?

What airlines are they going to, whats there TT, whats yours. How long did they instruct at the school?

How many students do you get?

How many hours a month do you avg?

How are the apartments they provided for 3 months?

Any bad comments about the school?

How long did it take you to get all your ratings there?

How fast does your avg student get there ratings?

Since you're offering info...... What % of Ari's students do they hire as instructors? How many hours are the other instructors (the ones you mentioned that are leaving) getting picked up with? How long are they instructing with Ari before leaving for another job? Where are these instructors going ? Regional, Majors, Corperate??? AND, how are they networking for jobs outside of instructing?

I'm in that big decision window and am so overwhelmed with info on the schools so I'm trying to get real info from the folks walking the walk...

Thanks for anything you can share.

Hawk

[ QUOTE ]
What airlines are they going to, whats there TT, whats yours. How long did they instruct at the school?

[/ QUOTE ]
One was 330 TT, going to a charter service, another 1000 or so to a Lear. Mostly charter though. My total time????? Why?

[ QUOTE ]
How many students do you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am keeping very busy, with more on the way.

[ QUOTE ]
How many hours a month do you avg?

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently anywhere from 40-60. I expect considerably more next month as I have more students now.

[ QUOTE ]
How are the apartments they provided for 3 months?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice. The houses are even better.

[ QUOTE ]
Any bad comments about the school?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just good ones.

[ QUOTE ]
How long did it take you to get all your ratings there?

[/ QUOTE ]
Seven months. Could have progressed quicker but I left town a few times. Plus my wife and kids were a distraction at times (the good kind of distraction I mean).

[ QUOTE ]
How fast does your avg student get there ratings?

[/ QUOTE ]
See above.

[ QUOTE ]
Since you're offering info...... What % of Ari's students do they hire as instructors? How many hours are the other instructors (the ones you mentioned that are leaving) getting picked up with? How long are they instructing with Ari before leaving for another job? Where are these instructors going ? Regional, Majors, Corperate??? AND, how are they networking for jobs outside of instructing?

I'm in that big decision window and am so overwhelmed with info on the schools so I'm trying to get real info from the folks walking the walk...

Thanks for anything you can share.

Hawk

[/ QUOTE ]

Some newly minted instructors chose to return to there home town or other jobs that are waiting for them. Others stay to instruct. If you are a good instructor, you will be hired and remain on staff. If not, ........
frown.gif

Most stay about 8-10 months. By that time they have about 1000-1200 hrs TT. With 75% being multi time.

Networking....Don't let anybody fool you. Networking is up to YOU.

In these times, you need something that will stand out over the other guy seeking the same job. The abundance of multi time at Ari will do that for you.

Hey Luftpost,
I was emailing back and forth with a former student at Ari. It has been a while since he was there. He said all in all, he thought it was the right choice for him. He mentioned a couple of things to ask about though.

He said when he was there, he felt a lot of pressure sometimes to fly with planes that had maintenance issues. nothing completely illegal, just a lot of grey areas. Do you know if that is still true? I know the planes get a lot of use and I have seen them. They looked fine to my untrained eye. How is it handled if a student is uncomfortable with an aircraft?

Can you briefly describe the phases of training? I talked with Mike about it but it has been a while and I can't remember. What kind of cross counrties did you do, etc?

I really liked Ari when I was there. It seemed like a place where personal motivation is the key. I really like that aspect of it.

Can you refresh my memory, ballpark what would it cost for a VA student doing the compete program including private with Ari? I think it was somewhere around $18,500 but I think that was for everything after the private.

Thanks!

i don't have any answers for your questions but I am glad to see someone finally post in this forum it was really getting dead in here.

Shooter13,

Sorry so late with a response. I have been extremely busy instructing. Anyway........

[ QUOTE ]
He said when he was there, he felt a lot of pressure sometimes to fly with planes that had maintenance issues. How is it handled if a student is uncomfortable with an aircraft?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pressure?? I don't fly unless the plane is safe. Anytime I question something, I go directly to maint. They are always happy to respond in a timely manner. They even take the time to explain systems and other technical questions.

Obviously the instructor is more familiar with the airplanes than the students, so most of the time the instructor can provide insight. Regardless, if the student does not feel safe, he will not fly. I know of no situation where this ever occured. The planes are very well maintained.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you briefly describe the phases of training? I talked with Mike about it but it has been a while and I can't remember. What kind of cross counrties did you do, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Single Private, Multi Private (10 hours), Multi Instrument (approx 43 hrs), Time building (100 hrs), Commercial multi (10 hrs), Commercial Single (10 hrs), MEI (10 hrs), CFII (10 hrs)

X/C: Basically, you can go where ever you want. Any fuel that you put in the plane that is not from Ari Bens fuel truck will cost you the difference between the price you paid and $1.30 (what they pay for it). Initially, some people get turned off by this. However, when you weigh the price difference between Ari Ben and other schools, you could invest several thousands of dollars in extra fuel costs before total costs are equal. If you don't want to put in fuel, just stay in Florida, or go as far north as Savanah GA.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you refresh my memory, ballpark what would it cost for a VA student doing the compete program including private with Ari? I think it was somewhere around $18,500 but I think that was for everything after the private.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can not say for sure as I am not in management. However your figure does seem accurate. Additionally, since you are VA, you will be flying the Duchess (twin) SOLO for a period of time which is a great perk!

Luftpost

Hey Luftpost!

Thanks for taking time to answer. That was great info. My wife and I have made our plans a little firmer now including when we are selling our house, moving, starting training, etc. At this point, we have decided that I am going to work a little longer before training and not have to finance it. It means about 8 months more working before school but I think it is a pretty good idea. Also, we want to have a bit of a savings. The way the industry has been has convinced me that instead of a rainy day fund, we need a rainy year or two fund. I will call and ask Mike about the price again sometime. The fuel costs really aren't a concern. The policy makes sense to me. The solo Duchess time will be pretty damn cool too.

I plan on starting in January, a month after I graduate from college. I haven't been down there to check it out yet but I will be this summer. I have already visited Pan Am in Florida, but I have read nothing but negative things about them. Plus I like Ari-Ben's program....none of that jet transition stuff that a lot of these schools advertise. I just want to get my ratings, instruct, find a flying job, and live in Houston, Texas, those are my goals. But anyway I plan on starting in January 7 months from now and I can't wait!

I am jealous. I can't start for about 2 more years. One more year working for Uncle Sam and then a lot of work for a year banking the money I need.

Back