Anybody work for Mesaba??

robzablob

I just applied for a job as a Customer Service Agent for Mesaba. The requirements are a high school diploma or equivalent, driver's license, ability to lift 35 to 75lbs occasionally, and a clear criminal record.

Will they even consider me for this job if I don't have a diploma?? It's not that I don't have one, its just that I'm in school now. Would I be too young for this job?? I'm perfectly capable of doing it, and I would love to get a job within the airline industry.

Thanks for your input!
Robbie

Are you 18 yet? If not, I would say there isn't much of a chance till you are 18 (insurance requirments).

Well I think what I might do is pester them once they get everything going to see if there isnt ANYTHING I could do up there..im sure there is something.

Do they generally let people know if they don't get a job??

Robbie

There might be, it never hurts to ask. Look around other various FBOs in your area, there may be a few out there that only require one to be 16 and 6 months old with a valid drivers license.

I am not sure if Mesaba lets you know if you have a job or not.

To be quite honest, I'm not really interested in the typical line service at a local FBO. I could go out to the airport here and get a job..but I just didn't get the right vibes from the place. Plus, I know several of the linemen out there..and they couldn't pass a drug test..I don't want to work around that.

I'm picky, and probably shouldnt be, but I can't help that.

Thanks for your advice, it's helped tons!
Robbie

!!!!

I got a call back from Mesaba and they are going to have an informational meeting at COU, which they "invited" me to!! I'm just happy that I got a call back, and they didn't just pitch my application and resume.

I will deff keep you'ins posted.

Robbie

Plus, I know several of the linemen out there..and they couldn't pass a drug test..I don't want to work around that.

First post here, because I want to respond to that. I live in Kansas, and recently got a line job, and can vouch for what your saying. I know a couple of guys that, I wouldn't have a thing to do with them if I didn't work with them. Plus, seeing how some of this guys run the equipment and treat stuff, if I owned, I don't know if I would stop off there.

Thought I'd jump in here somewhere,
KSCessnaDriver

I mean..one of the guys that I know is really nice, but half the time he's high, and I have a maturity much higher than his. I'm using this job opportunity to get my foot into the industry, not just to have a job. I could go out to Old Navy or any other crappy retail store we have around here and get a job...but it's not my style.

and bienvenidos/welcome to the forums! I'm a newbie too, and the peeps here seem nice. You'll have a lot of fun. You live in KC?? Im about 3 hours away.

Robbie

Yup, KC during the summer time, when I'm not in college. Went to Central Missouri last year, but, found out it wasn't for me. Transferring down to Embry-Riddle in Daytona.
Line service is a fun job. Don't know exactly how it works with an airline, but at an FBO, you may have a few busy hours, and then sit around for the rest.

Thats neat. I'm not really attracted to CMSU (or whatever its name is now...i think its UCM). I'm thinking more of University of North Dakota. I want to get out of Missouri. But I still have time, as I'm a junior in high school. Let me know how you like ERAU!

Robbie

I went today. Can't do the job cuz I'm not 18 yet. I understand that rule but ugghh it sux for me.

Not veryy happy right now.

Aww, shucks man, that kinda sucks. But hey, take it as an opportunity to look at the local FBO's. I would take it your out of Columbia or around those parts. Look at COU, or maybe even down at Jefferson City. I mean, the airports are like what, 15 miles apart? You may not like the people working there, but hey, its a fun job, if you make it fun.

Yahh I might go out to Jeff City Flying and see what they have going out there..I'm out of Jeff City. They usually just have new guys wash planes and what not. Who knows?? I might get some good connections out there. Carl Edwards, the NASCAR driver that is from Columbia, has his plane serviced in JEF. It would be neat to see him!!

At the veryy least, I'm happy that I got a call back.

Robbie

I went today. Can't do the job cuz I'm not 18 yet. I understand that rule but ugghh it sux for me.

Not veryy happy right now.

Don't get down about it. It will happen many of times in your aviation career, so get used to it. I'm 17 and it has happened three or four times. I was about to get a 3-11 shift at a nice FBO....but I was not 18. I had to wait another year to get my current job because they were overstaffed. Another FBO wanted to hire me full time one month before school was over, but I couldn't do it.

The point is, don't get down. It will happen, check out those local FBOs even though there may just be some stoners working beside you. Block out the negative and focus on the positives..connections, networking, money, learning, etc. It will be a better oppertunity for you to stand out and show your dedication.

Thats veryy insightful, and I'm doubting that youre 17..not many 17 y/o have that kind of maturity to say that.

I got over it in about a day. I basically told myself that I would have most likely gotten the job if it wasn't for my age.

Thanks!!

Robbie

Thats veryy insightful, and I'm doubting that youre 17..not many 17 y/o have that kind of maturity to say that.

I got over it in about a day. I basically told myself that I would have most likely gotten the job if it wasn't for my age.

Thanks!!

Robbie

Nope, I'm 17. Just being around the line service side of aviation for over a year and flying in general for over two, it has taught me alot and it becomes a humbling experience. Being on line service is a very valuable learning period and cannot be replaced by sitting in a classroom taking notes.

Keep your head up!

Well that's awesome. I'm going to look for a line job after I get back from Oshkosh and Montana, but even then it's iffy because of school.

I'm taking REALLY hard classes (more specifically, AP English Language, AP US History, Physics..that kind of stuff) and I wouldnt want to overload myself.

One thing that I've learned being in aviation, such as flying lessons and being involved with EAA, is that there are soooo many people that will be there for you and actually want to teach you and mentor you. And for that, I am eternally grateful.

Gracias,

Robbie

Back