Anybody tried Clarity Aloft headset?

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
I have a Bose X and I love it...it's amazing but it does get pretty hot in the summer. I've been thinking of trying the Clarity Aloft and if I like it, selling the Bose X to pay for it.

CA will give you a 30 day trial, but of course you give them their $500 interest free loan for the 30 days while you test it out. Not sure i'm ready to do that yet.

Has anyone tried them in a light jet, Lear 30 or 40 series or similar who can give me a pirep?

Thanks

I own one and use it often. I don't personally believe it reduces noise as well as a Bose or other over-the-ear headset but it sure is comfortable. I wore it in the jet and wear it in piston airplanes.

Definitely, much more comfortable for the long hauls.

I've had one for about three years already. I like it a lot. I wear prescription glasses all the time, so not having to fit them under the ear cups works great for me and saves me some headache. They're very lightweight and you forget that you're wearing them in a few minutes.

Now for the drawbacks (with which I'm fine, but something to be aware of):
- The ear tips wear out - you have to buy new ones every now and then. Not necessary a huge expense, but I'd be really worried if they went out of business - the headset will become somewhat useless a few months after that.
- Somewhat anecdotal, but I've had some problems with ear was plugging my ears - nothing a quick visit to the doctor would not clean up but I did not have them before. Of course, that can be different for different people (I know a guy who does not have the same problem).
- Somewhat anecdotal. The long story, involving an airplane with broken audio panel and using the CA to talk to ATC and holding a DC cup on my other ear to listen to ATIS - they're significantly quieter than non-ANR DCs. I have not had a chance to compare them to a ANR set.

- Somewhat anecdotal, but I've had some problems with ear was plugging my ears - nothing a quick visit to the doctor would not clean up but I did not have them before. Of course, that can be different for different people (I know a guy who does not have the same problem).

I have this same problem - have had it since I was a kid. Finally learned the solution from a nurse last year.

After you get a good ear cleaning, put two drops of oil (olive oil is actually just fine) in each ear twice a week after a shower. That's it. You won't have any more problems with ear wax.

Been thinking about a CA headset. Sounds interesting.

anecdotal: guy who hired me at air america strongly reccommended the CA headset for long days on the job... ill probably be looking into one!

I was looking at the CA headset, but ended up going with the Telex 850 and absolutely love it. It doesn't really fit over the ear so it is comfortable while wearing glasses and you don't give up any noise canceling by wearing glasses (like you do with traditional over the ear headsets).

Comfortable as hell, not nearly as much of a project to put on as the CA headset.

$0.02

Before I got my current headset, I looked into the clarity aloft. One disadvantage is that it is not very good at attenuating low frequency sounds. This will eventually cause significant hearing loss. Since I am flying a 172, this was not acceptable to me. So, I went for the lightspeed xc with ANC....I have been very happy so far.

I have the clarity aloft headset and I use it daily.. I didnt like it at first b/c it took me time to get used to the foam peices being stuck in my ears... but after about a week of use I started to love using it because its just so light and communications sound very clear through it.

Back