Any flight schools around the San Diego area?

CJD

Hey everybody. I'm 17 going 18 in april, and graduating from high school in june. I've been looking for a flight school/academy/university for a while to enroll in. I've looked at such schools as Sierra, Embry Riddle, Flight Safety, Comair, etc... However, I've been pushed to search for a school in or around the San Diego area, for reasons such as being closer to family. I've had trouble looking on the net for some, especially ones that offer degrees, preferably a bachelors in aviation/aeronautics. In short, I want to be a pilot as well as hold a degree in that field. I checked out Palomar college, however, its only a two-year and offers only associate degrees. If anyone out there knows any schools in that area, or anywhere close for that matter (i.e. anything past sierra academy, distance wise, i'd not look at), please shed some light on me. For a year or so now, I've been set on going to Sierra, however, due to the circumstances that are there at the moment, not to mention the pressure for family to move closer, I've had to change my mind. So please, anyone who can recommend a school taht offers a degree or even a good flight school that I can get into, I'd appreicate it. I want to be able to fly regional/corporate for the airlines. Thanks...

Welcome to the board. Good to have you join us.

Let me start off by saying it is in your best interest now to get your family used to the idea that being attached to a specific area is the KISS OF DEATH for an aviation career. Go to the main page and check out Doug's story ... he was a California guy, west coast through and through, and moved to Milwaukee to make his dream a reality. Keep that in mind.

If you want a four-year degree in aviation, I suggest Embry-Riddle or UND. Riddle has a campus in Prescott, AZ, which is not all THAT far from San Diego. If you must stay in SD, allow me to suggest enrolling at a local university and getting an other-than-aviation four-year degree. Do your flight training at a local FBO, or consider ATP (which has a San Diego area facility) if you want to get it done fairly quickly.

Having an aviation degree is not necessary to be successful in a flying career ... like Doug, I am an ERAU graduate. However, I know plenty of professional pilots whose degrees are in business or biology or whatever. In any case, your goal of obtaining a four-year degree is admirable, and important to your career goals.

I don't know how much of your desire to stay in SoCal is your own, and how much is your family's. If it is the former, set aside your fears. Going "away" to college is an important rite of passage for a young adult, and once you get through the transition, you'll learn important lessons about living life on your own, as an adult. It's just not the same when Mom's house is 30 miles away or (worse still) you're living at home as an undergrad. If it is your family, again, you need to make sure they know that by pursuing a career in aviation, you will almost certainly have to leave San Diego at least temporarily.

Good luck in your search. Hopefully this has been helpful.

FL270

Sounds like you've made up your mind that you want a degree in aviation...so I won't waste my time trying to talk you out of it....

San Jose St. has had several aviation degrees for a long time.

I'd be surprized if Utah Valley St college (an online aviation degree) didn't partner with a large flight school around you...they see pretty spread out.

Arizona St and ERAU. Not sure if Arizona is too far.

As far as flight schools...just hit the road and start checking places out in your area. Look for price, quality of aircraft, and an instructor you get along with. I like part 61, myself, but to each his own.

i agree, aviation takes up so much time i have hard time keeping my dog company. family distractions will only slow you down, my advice is to go at it alone where ever you want and get it done. good luck

I currently live in Las Vegas. The reason why SD is because well, I only found my real bio father last year. And so, since time is regretabbly short, it would be in my interest to spend more time with him and catch up. I know doing this will jeopardize my career or even delay it, but I'm trying to find a solution for both. I've been set for a loong time on an aviation career and university such as ERAU, however, as of last year, It's been very hard for me to decide. If i go to SD and just go ATP, I guess i could get a B.A. in something else. Right now, I'm just trying to explore my current options. So far, the only thing that seems promising is San Jose State with their Aviation program. However, I'm not quite sure if they teach you to fly at the same time, and thus, I'm reconsidering my options. I'm not gonna stay here in san diego and be tied down here for my aviation career. I know that it's going to be very hard and tough to stay down in one place and fly at the same time. I'm just talking about a place where I can "crash" and learn, and "catch up" with my father for 4 years. From there on, Im just gonna go where the wind blows.

i go to panam in fla, they also have phoenix campus, i would recommend them over ATP, from what i hear airlines aren't too fond of that school because they over rush you. congrats on meeting your dad, and phoenix is close to both cities. and as far as college degrees online university of phoenix is right there and have a partnership with pan am

[ QUOTE ]
from what i hear airlines aren't too fond of that school because they over rush you

[/ QUOTE ]

from what i hear the same FAA that issues ATP students their certficates issues Pan Am's also.

to answer the poster:

good decision to go with a 4 year degree. That is a must to get on with a major. I would look into a non-aviation related degree in case the airline thing doesnt pan out for you (i.e. medical, furloughs, damn terrorists).

thats just my .02

ya it is the same faa, but when on yor interview and they ask where did you get your flight training done ? from what i hear they will say cya.

[ QUOTE ]
i go to panam in fla, they also have phoenix campus, i would recommend them over ATP, from what i hear airlines aren't too fond of that school because they over rush you. congrats on meeting your dad, and phoenix is close to both cities. and as far as college degrees online university of phoenix is right there and have a partnership with pan am

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd also like to know where you got your info from.

Personally I thinkj it is a bunch of B.S.

just ask around, and i got it from cfii with over 4000 hrs who go to atp in stuart fla, ok and personally i dont care what you think, i'm just saying what i heard.

dude you've been fed propaganda. airlines dont care if you trained at pan am or mom and pops flying service. as long as you have met the requirements.

[ QUOTE ]
just ask around, and i got it from cfii with over 4000 hrs who go to atp in stuart fla, ok and personally i dont give a [expletive deleted] what you think, i'm just saying what i heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I was just telling you that what you heard was wrong, that's all. Don't belive everything you hear.

I never had anyone ask me where I did my training, either. But I have to laugh at Pan Am because of their ads. ATP's aren't so bad.

Well King Schools is in San Diego aren't they? Pretty sure they would have an FBO for flight instruction.

Also maybe you could consider an extended campus of Embry Riddle or do your degree online @ Riddle while you fly out of a local FBO just some options to consider.

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]
just ask around, and i got it from cfii with over 4000 hrs who go to atp in stuart fla, ok and personally i dont care what you think, i'm just saying what i heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally know more than one product of ATP flying for a regional right now. . .

There are some very good colleges around the San Diego area. Why not go to one of those for your college degree while you get your training done on the side? There are plenty of FBOs there and one of the guys I know who is now flying corporate got his private, instrument, and commercial tickets there.

God, it must be sweet to fly around there, except you'd never get any actual instrument time. All VFR, all the time!

I'll second Tony's comments. Go to San Diego State, have a life (and a marketable fall-back degree), and get your ratings with one of the plethora of flying clubs at Montgomery Field. Should you insist on expensive flight-academy type training, San Diego Flight Training International, American Flyers, or Scandinavian Aviation Academy will all be happy to take your money. Local Montgomery Field CFI Bruce Elig has put together a great reference to flight trianing options in San Diego: http://webpages.cwia.com/~lrn2fly/

You'll love it here, San Diego's great place and SDSU has more hot chicks there than any school has a right to.
grin.gif

Back