Any experience w/ the Civil Air Patrol??

Lima_Charlie

Does anyone on here have any experience w/ the Civil Air Patrol? I have been thinking about ways to get more involved w/ the aviation community, other than forking over $$$, to my flight school, and remembered that the CAP has a "unit" at DVT.

So,if you are willing to share any info/experiences about CAP, that would be great!

Thanks in advance for sharing!

How old are ya? The main part of the CAP is the Cadet Program, though there is a Senior Member program as well. I'd personally like to get back into it as a Mission Pilot, but I'd end up hanging out with a bunch of 15 year olds (no offense to 15 year olds
grin.gif
) during the meetings.

As for experiences... I was in it for 2 years back in highschool. I enjoyed it. Actually, that was the reason I got into flying in the first place.

POST DELETED

Nevermind....wouldn't want to get anyones panties in a wad by telling the truth now, would I?

Not sure what the deleted post is, but there are good apples and bad apples out there. I got cut off in the pattern by a CAP plane the other day, so I wasn't too happy with them; however I have met some very good people that are CAP and good pilots. Just remember to keep the professionalism up and you'll do good.

txpilot

I have to agree. Not only professionalism, but some need to remember that just because they are on a training mission doesnt mean they own the air and all things aviation.

[ QUOTE ]
POST DELETED

Nevermind....wouldn't want to get anyones panties in a wad by telling the truth now, would I?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am curious what your opinion is... PM if you would rather...

[ QUOTE ]
How old are ya? The main part of the CAP is the Cadet Program, though there is a Senior Member program as well. I'd personally like to get back into it as a Mission Pilot, but I'd end up hanging out with a bunch of 15 year olds (no offense to 15 year olds
grin.gif
) during the meetings.

As for experiences... I was in it for 2 years back in highschool. I enjoyed it. Actually, that was the reason I got into flying in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am very much qualified for the Senior Member program! :) Did it take long to get qualified to be a mission pilot? What kind of missions did you fly? Did it cost you much, other than your dues, to be involved?

I guess I am just looking for ways to "broaden" my experience rather than just relying on the school I am a attending.

I looked into becoming a senior memember at the local squadron. After a couple of meetings I could see it was just a bunch of old guys trying to look and act important. Plus, I've seen the commander get out of the airplane solo, and in street clothes. What kind of mission could that have been?

Anyhow, from previous posts, I guess each squadron has their own personality. There are wildly differing opinions on the CAP.

[ QUOTE ]
I am curious what your opinion is... PM if you would rather...

[/ QUOTE ]

Run a search, or just watch this thread. Someone will say what I was going to anyways, I can almost guarantee it.

I decided it was better to not get in another flame war with the hardcore CAP defenders.
smile.gif

The CAP guys around here don't seem to know how to communicate on the radio very well, especially at towered airports. I nearly pulled my hair out listening to one of them talk to ATC the other day....I won't stereotype the entire orignation but this tends to jive with the impression most people have of the CAP.

On the other hand I like the paint job on their 182's. What's with the para-military uniforms though?

Don't join if you want to use the airplane for fun (like renting it) or even just to fly it. It took 6 months to get all the damn paper work and meetings done (not regular meetings, board meetings) just to get permission to be fly a 172. You can't go more then 50 miles from your home airport either.

I've been wondering about joining myself... it seems to be a very good combination of volunteering time and getting some flight time in return, without spending money. Haven't seen many CAP folks though except for when I was in ROTC.

I don't know what the mins are (300TT PIC I think for our local branch). I hope to have a job by that time anyway...

It would be cool to have a European system of "apprentice and master" when building careers like these, since the cost of training is so high and the return on investment is so low after training is finished. More of these "flight time for volunteer time" should be available.

They gave me a free trip for a couple weeks to DC and Europe.

I thought that was a good deal.

Found a crashed plane for them once, but the pilot had died before impact
frown.gif

There are good people, and bad people out there. As there is with anything you pay to do. All in all, my CAP experience of about 10 years as a cadet and senior memeber was positive. I'd still be active, but don't have the time right now.

You will get out of the organization, an equal amount of reward for the effort you put in (given there is not someone trying to prevent you for whatever inane reason just because of some power trip they may be on - the type of attitude I walk away from, and I think the same type that turn many non-members off to CAP).

[ QUOTE ]
Did it take long to get qualified to be a mission pilot? What kind of missions did you fly? Did it cost you much, other than your dues, to be involved?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I mis-spoke. I'm not a Mission Pilot...only saying that I'd like to go back in to do that.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, I've seen the commander get out of the airplane solo, and in street clothes. What kind of mission could that have been?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could've been a counterdrug mission; crews (which can sometimes be a crew of one, depending upon mission requirements) are frequently asked to wear civvies on those missions as they don't attract attention like the regular uniforms do.

[ QUOTE ]
They gave me a free trip for a couple weeks to DC and Europe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad they cut out the DC trip the year before I went over and mingled with the Eurotrash.
tongue.gif

I enjoyed my time there as a cadet but I have no idea what the program is like from a senior member's perspective.

While I never participated in the CD missions, I did do a number of searches as part of an aircrew.

My uniform while flying consisted of either a Air Force green nomex flight suit, with a few patches and nametag to identify me, or a polo shirt with logo.

It sounds like someone in the organization is a "wannabe" Air Force pilot w/ a few unsolved "issues"! I can understand wanting to volunteer, and give you time in the service of helping others, but to actually make the pilot's wear a nomex flight suit!!??? That is a little much, don't you think... I am going to have to go check out our local "wing" and see what the story is...

Back