Anti - Snoring Aids

ProudPilot

Aeronautics Geek
So, I snore. I will soon have to go overseas to work with a lot of other people in small quarters. As such, I would appreciate not being shot at night so I'd like to get something to help alleviate my snoring. It's well past due.

I looked at a few and I like the design and function of zquiet, but all the reviews look cookie cutter from the ads. Has anyone tried it, does anyone like it? I am losing some weight and I already sleep on my side... I've snored since I was a kid. Anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks!

12260__45605_zoom-300x300.jpg

I have the same problem. Haven't found a solution yet. My girlfriend just likes to pinch my nose to cut my circulation off until I wake up and scramble around like a bat out of hell.

You can try Pure Sleep....I use it, it works out pretty well...says my wife!

Breath right strips. My dad started using them because he couldnt stand that machine they wanted him to wear at night. When he snored it would wake up everyone in the house. Now just by wearing those strips he doesnt make any noise. I use them as well and I tend to feel more rested in the morning.

My brother has a snoring issue and he started taking melatonin before bed and hasn't had a problem since.

My brother has a snoring issue and he started taking melatonin before bed and hasn't had a problem since.

Melatonin would make my snoring problem into a "holy crap, I'm almost buck naked standing here on the sidewalk and I don't know how I got here" problem. :)

That's a dirty word in our profession. I have no idea, and until it's more of a problem then snoring, I won't get tested.

I've used some other 'jaw positioners' and they worked but fit awful.

An SI for sleep apnea is pretty common, actually. A small bit of red tape from OKC but really not that bad.

Melatonin would make my snoring problem into a "holy crap, I'm almost buck naked standing here on the sidewalk and I don't know how I got here" problem. :)

Really? I've taken it a few times and found it to be pretty mellow. Ambien? Totally different story. I've taken it twice and it's such a deep sleep that it actually scared me.

I've heard that about Ambien. Some (that's SOME, not all) people have been known to sleep-walk, sleep-eat. sleep-drive, sleep-online-shop, do ALL sorts of things while "asleep" on Ambien. It's recommended not to take it alone the first few times, to have someone else around in case of reactions like that. Not everyone responds that way, for many people it's just a knock-out sleeping pill... but hide your car keys, kitchen knives and credit cards so you don't drive, hurt yourself or buy a pet elephant online while under the influence!

I've heard that about Ambien. Some (that's SOME, not all) people have been known to sleep-walk, sleep-eat. sleep-drive, sleep-online-shop, do ALL sorts of things while "asleep" on Ambien. It's recommended not to take it alone the first few times, to have someone else around in case of reactions like that. Not everyone responds that way, for many people it's just a knock-out sleeping pill... but hide your car keys, kitchen knives and credit cards so you don't drive, hurt yourself or buy a pet elephant online while under the influence!

Like babysitting an acid party! :)

Big Four causes for snoring:

Alcohol, being too tired, eating close to bed-time, and being over-weight.:aghast:

IMHO, large differences between brands of snore-strips - many house brands have lousier adhesives. Tip: wipe your nose down with an astringent before applying it, to remove skin oils & help it stick better.

They sometimes don't stick as long as you may sleep;) .

They help, they don't cure, at least according to my better half.

I used to work for an ENT and there is no good cure for snoring.

Snoring is a mild form of sleep apnea, but don't get a sleep study done unless you really struggle to sleep at night. In reality everyone as some degree of sleep apnea and a doc will diagnose it so fast, just so he can get paid more in follow up appts, and oops there goes your medical.

Breath right strips are ok, but if it helps then you may have a deviated septum and getting that fixed would all around help. Have you ever broken your noise?

Otherwise you can get pillar implants, have a UPPP or use a mouthguard that's gross and uncomfortable. CPAP machines work pretty well, but they're also uncomfortable, bulky, a PITA and require a prescription (see sleep apnea).

So in closing without too much effort, you can mitigate the causes by losing weight, staying sober, laying on your side and using strips. But you'll never completely eliminate the cause.

So in closing without too much effort, you can mitigate the causes by losing weight, staying sober, laying on your side and using strips. But you'll never completely eliminate the cause.

Losing weight and staying sober? Oh to HELL with that, Bubba.

I've used both Pure Sleep and Zquite. They both worked for me but you need to be sure you do the inital molding right for it to work. The only problem I had is it took a few minuits for my jaw to go back in position after I took it out.

Back