anti-depressants in the past

JetDreams

I took anti-pressants for about 1 year after going through a divorce.. I am no longer taking them and wondering if I will be able to get a medical. I had held my PPL and third class medical prior to going on the medication. I would also like to mention that the doctor (not a AME) who perscribed the anti-depressant to me said he had many airline pilots that were on the drug and just didn't report it to their AME is this possible wouldn't it show up in a urin test? I hope someone has some information for me I would like to get my wings back...
Thanks

DO NOT
DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT

put that you have taken any anti depressants on your medical form... unless you are missing a leg or are blind. DO NOT check anything on the form.

My Two cents... refunds available

I could be wrong, but the urine test is not a drug test. They're only checking for signs of diabetes.

So you'd be okay there...just don't let the FAA catch you.

You're wings will be gone forever after that.

MY two cents.

Naunga

Eagle is absolutely right!!! My son took anti-depressants for about 6 months or so, while he was in high school. He put that on his 1st medical..

Took FOREVER for him to get his medical. He had to write letters, get another doctor to write that he took Welbutrin for smoking cessation. And fax and call the FAA.............

doo nAWT put anything on the form!! any form...

Do not put anything on your 8710 form for your multi engine, either....

Even if they do test for drugs in the urine test, if you are no longer taking them they should not show up on a drug test. They don't stay in your system forever.

confused.gif
Do you guys recommend not putting just anti-depressants on the medical? What about medication for a simple thyroid problem? Do most professional pilots disclose everything to the FAA or just the information they need to know?

Only tell the FAA what they need to know and not an iota more.

oh.... Can you get your liscence revoked if they find out that your on medication that you never disclosed?

[ QUOTE ]
oh.... Can you get your liscence revoked if they find out that your on medication that you never disclosed?

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense (seriously here not being cynical or sarcastic...for a change)

I am not sure what you folks are thinking. The FAA medicals are little more than a formality, Count your fingers and toes and you are on your way.

That is UNLESS you give the MD something to look at or for.

Even if you mainlined heroin everyday of your life, so long as the track marks aren’t there… the AME won’t ask.

Now. There are *some* AMEs who look for a reason to deny a medical.. those guys are quickly identified and AVOIDED like the PLAGUE.

So unless you tell the feds that you have, or are taking XYZ they will never know. your medical history is confidential.

If they (Th govt) do a total toxicological history on you, it is because you are dead, and they are looking for any scapegoat, so what does it matter at that point?

Read these posts and see the results..

http://www.jetcareers.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB6&Number=10766&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

http://www.jetcareers.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB6&Number=13027&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

http://www.jetcareers.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB6&Number=26888&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Thanks Eagle

I was going to go into the AME telling my whole medical histroy. I just had no idea. Chances are they would have taken a good year or more to tell me that a simple medication with no side effects was Ok. In the mean time I would have been without a medical.

Thanks.
grin.gif

It's important to have a good physician (separate of your AME). That way if you have concerns, you can reveal them without threat of FAA BS. I totally agree with Eagle, don't ask...don't tell. Let them do the legwork and find out (they won't)!

[ QUOTE ]
Do not put anything on your 8710 form for your multi engine, either....

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minnit... What's an 8710 form?

I was through the same situation as the original poster. Had my exwife convince me, and the doctor, that I was the problem, and ended up on Serzone for about 3 months. I applied for a 3rd class medical about a year later, and I was actually issued my medical on the spot with this on there.. I later got a letter from the FAA asking for clarification on the issue, but they never revoked my medical and the information I gave them satisfied their curiosity and said basically "you're okay, so long as nothing changes". I later applied for and was issued a first class medical. Basically, now that I have disclosed this, I have to put on the form for my medicals that I had this in my life, and there is currently "no change" in my condition, which theoretically means that since I currently hold a 1st class with no restrictions, I should be able to continue holding a 1st class with no restrictions (am I right on this?).

But, my original question... Why, if I hold a first class medical with no restrictions (other than corrective lenses), would it have any bearing on getting my multi-engine cert, or any certification, for that matter?

Paul

what if I already reported a medication that I am on and everything is cool....should I keep reporting it...if I don't will it throw up a red flag and have them investigate more?

I have a friend who is a dr. he told me he knows of 3 airline pilots that are on zoloft.Whats up with that?
nana2.gif

If you get into a problem and they find out the insurance could deny the claim..you get sued and lose everything..I was told they can get into the medical records anytime thay want...

Is this true since I've been told there are privacy laws that restrict the government or even insurance companies from obtaining every single thing you have on record since there are certain Ethical laws ,according to a friend of mine that is almost a Doctor, that protect the privacy of a patient .

[ QUOTE ]
since 9/11 privacy laws are a joke.All they have to do is check your health insurance records..

[/ QUOTE ]

You obvilously have not heard about HIPPA. In a nutshell anyway. HIPPA is a federal law preventing any medical professional from giving out your information without your expressed written consent. It has made my job as a RN that much more difficult. that is all I'm saying about HIPPA here.
But for more info goto HIPPA info

Back