ANR Headsets and Tinnitus

My only fatality was from blunt force trauma to the head when his head slammed into the panel. Had his waist belt on but not the shoulder strap (3 point seatbelt). Had he had the shoulder strap he probably would have lived with cuts and bruises.

Then again he would probably have made the runway had he just declared emergency instead of being all vague. And he wouldn’t have had an emergency at all if he hadn’t run out of gas 50 miles before his destination.

A 3 point is useless when it’s not properly engineered for the airframe it’s bolted to. It’s not like they have done 50 years of crash testing daily like they do in the automotive industry.

The helmet is really your best bet. For me and friends who grew up on off-road motorcycles and trucks it’s SOP.

The problem is wearing one with passengers who don’t have one.

I dropped my Bose A20s and switched to the regional jet package from pilotstuff.com, just as quiet and its a whole lot of passive with the plugs, which blocks all the frequencies to your ear.

A 3 point is useless when it’s not properly engineered for the airframe it’s bolted to. It’s not like they have done 50 years of crash testing daily like they do in the automotive industry.

The helmet is really your best bet. For me and friends who grew up on off-road motorcycles and trucks it’s SOP.

The problem is wearing one with passengers who don’t have one.

I've done just a little bit of off-airport stuff - maybe 7 hours worth. Never wore a helmet. Never even thought about wearing one. Have considered a mountain flying course in ID as well (Kitfox stuff) and I don't think they wear em'.

But this thread definitely makes me consider/think about it.

Ya, that's why there has been a big push to even put in a shoulder belt or 4/5 point harness in vintage stuff.

I'll be on floats next year when the airplane gets flying. I have shoulder harnesses, but not the nice 5 points like we have in the jet, just 3. Would have required some significant modification to the fuselage to strap them to something that wouldn't just bend with those forces. I imagine it's just as important since hitting your head, becoming unconscious AND being underwater would be rather fatal.

If you were flying commercial pax in say a 206 and doing off airport, I'd imagine they'd look at your pretty funny if you put a helmet on. Though I guess that shouldn't matter.

Lol, if you pull out a sectional they'll look at you funny, "don't you know where you're going?"

I've done just a little bit of off-airport stuff - maybe 7 hours worth. Never wore a helmet. Never even thought about wearing one. Have considered a mountain flying course in ID as well (Kitfox stuff) and I don't think they wear em'.

FWIW I don’t do off airport stuff nor wear a helmet, but watching the California CHP wearing full helmets and flight suits to fly a 206 around the desert is interesting. I most of my single engine time is over the open desert in nasty terrain. I do get it.

To clarify, you should be able to designate userwaypoints as runways and have it automatically mute terrain alerting just like at any other airport, then you shouldn't be able to mute terrain alerts.

Oh great, pretty soon every little airport is going to look like a CAP fest with all the nomex and helmets.

At an IA seminar one of the presentations centered around preventing fatalities (airbags, shoulder harnesses, etc). One of the pictures they showed was a cub wreck one person was wearing a helmet, the other not. If I recall correctly, the helmet made a dent in the instrument panel, but the non-helmet made a splatter on the seat in front. Guess who lived?

Back