Another Vision Question...

ClearedForOption

Psychiatric Help 5¢
Hi Dr. Forred,

6 years ago I underwent LASIK surgery that corrected my vision to 20/15... today I went into the eye doctor to get a eye exam and update and found out that my vision went to:

OD: DVA 20/25++ NVA 20/20
OU: DVA 20/20- NVA 20/20

He told me it was due to a slight astigmatism. (my orig. LASIK was pre-"wavefront" technology)

It's that "25++" that worries me... I got a perscription for eyeglasses...

OD: -0.25 x 144

And was told that this is the absolute minimum that I could have and he recommended "no spectacle Rx @ this time"

I read that:

"FAR 67 subpart B to gain a pass in a class one eye check you must have the following...

(a) Distant visual acuity of 20/20 or better in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses. If corrective lenses (spectacles or contact lenses) are necessary for 20/20 vision, the person may be eligible only on the condition that corrective lenses are worn while exercising the privileges of an airman certificate."

On a good day I can "squeeze" that 20/20 out of the eye with squinting and etc., but my most recent flight surgeon tested me with a older machine that looked like it belonged in Dr. Strangelove or Clockwork Orange and due to the quirks of the LASIK (i.e. direct light hitting the edge of the scar and bending the light) I had a hard time demonstrating my 20/20 vision.

The eye doc today told me that it was the machine and that I am a-ok... I know I should just go ahead and order the glasses online and carry them and make sure that I update my medical the next time around. (if you can believe it my insurance wouldn't cover a perscription that low - but they would give me a pair of sunglasses for free... go figure. But I checked out the website you recommended in a previous post and I will order from there)

My big question is there anything that I have to worry about overall with the 25++ vision in he one eye?

No, it is not a problem. You can ask the AME if he has another method of distant vision testing like the Snellen card on the wall. If you can pass the eye exam with 20/20 at the eye doctor, take him a Form 8500-7, have him complete it and take that to the flight physical as evidence you are 20/20 in boh eyes -- that way no glasses required.

Back