Another skydiver killed in Lodi, CA

1620480165051.jpeg

Serious question:
Is it possible to survive a fall from this high? Like if you were to land a certain way or on certain materials/terrain, could you get it just right and stand up and walk away?

About twenty years ago there was a guy that survived when his parachute didn’t deploy. It was a GoFundMe type page before GFM existed, the was url something like dead mike dot com or similar. Yup, it is still there too. Also now has a YouTube channel with videos since that accident.

... a certification that isn't required by anybody other than possibly an insurance company.

Well, it doesn’t say which certificate was suspended but you need a couple different ones to be a tandem instructor, and that’s in the FAR’s.

Last edited:
Well, it doesn’t say which certificate was suspended but you need a couple different ones to be a tandem instructor, and that’s in the FAR’s.

Unless things have changed, pilots and riggers are the only FAA certs. The FAA has a friendly relationship with USPA but that's about it.

Please cite the FAR.

Unless things have changed, pilots and riggers are the only FAA certs. The FAA has a friendly relationship with USPA but that's about it.

Please cite the FAR.

I mean, maybe we can just agree that Lodi is a super sketchy operation with way more incidents than most drop zones?

Please cite the FAR.

§ 105.45 Use of tandem parachute systems.
(a) No person may conduct a parachute operation using a tandem parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a tandem parachutesystem, unless -

(iii) Holds a master parachutelicense issued by an organization recognized by the FAA, and

(iv) Has successfully completed a tandem instructor course given by the manufacturer of the tandem parachute system used in the parachute operationor a course acceptable to the Administrator.

(v) Has been certified by the appropriate parachutemanufacturer or tandem course provider as being properly trained on the use of the specific tandem parachutesystem to be used.

So, like I said, we don’t know what cert was suspended. If it was thr USPA one then it’s not illegal for him to be instructing, but that’s not why he got arrested. He got arrested for forging another instructors signature because his own signature was invalid.

Last edited:
Eloy out here certainly has its fair share of jumpers that burn in, they just don’t make much more than the local news, and that’s with that DZ being one of the biggest in the world. Of the five parachute DZs located within the same area, from four different entities……..Coolidge, Marana, Eloy and Sawtooth, and Pinal…..Eloy wins the prize for fatalities, with Pinal a close second, and Pinal’s make even less of the news.

§ 105.45 Use of tandem parachute systems.
(a) No person may conduct a parachute operation using a tandem parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a tandem parachutesystem, unless -

(iii) Holds a master parachutelicense issued by an organization recognized by the FAA, and

(iv) Has successfully completed a tandem instructor course given by the manufacturer of the tandem parachute system used in the parachute operationor a course acceptable to the Administrator.

(v) Has been certified by the appropriate parachutemanufacturer or tandem course provider as being properly trained on the use of the specific tandem parachutesystem to be used.

So, like I said, we don’t know what cert was suspended. If it was thr USPA one then it’s not illegal for him to be instructing, but that’s not why he got arrested. He got arrested for forging another instructors signature because his own signature was invalid.

Thanks for the info. I was right in that they aren't FAA certs. FAA used to have a similar arrangement with USUA for ultralight training.

I'm old, tandem jumping is still a new thing to me .

Rereading the article it says his USPA and Uninsured United Parachute Technology LLC certs were suspended in 2015, so I’m guessing he was instructing with equipment that he wasn’t allowed to be teaching with anymore. But that’s not what got him arrested. It was the forging other instructors signatures that did that.

In college, I racked up a few jumps a sketchy jump operation in Virginia.

Tandem jumping wasn't a thing. We purchased a four jump static line package. To do a free fall required 20 jumps and attendance in a day long school. Well, in those days, everything was negotiable and we went straight to free fall jumps after our four static jumps and about a half hour of instruction.

After four static-line jumps and four or five free jumps I lost interest in skydiving.

Back