Another psych eval requested

atpwannabe

Doc:

A little over 10 years ago I was denied life insurance due to a positive result on a drug test for an insurance company. I haven't used drugs since. I was recently approved for a 400K term life insurance policy, thru AXA Financial out of New York, w/aviation rider in hopes of being awarded my first class medical. AXA Financial is just about as thorough as the FAA.

Medical Appeals in Wash. DC is asking me to get a psychiatric eval by board certified addiction or forensic psychiatrist with expertise in addiction and personality disorder. That 'bout blew my mind. No pun intended. This process is taking a helluva lot longer than I anticipated. I'm in it for the long run though. Right now, I'm of the mindset that it's either 1st Class Medical or nothing. What are my options in terms of flying do I have with a 2nd Class Medical?

At any rate, I completed a psychiatric eval back on January 14th and the information was faxed to FAA in OK, which forwarded that info to Wash. DC. I got a letter yesterday, asking for an additional eval to address specific items that were listed in the letter.

Do you know of any Psychiatrist in the SE Florida area that has expertise in aviation standards and in addiction/personality disorder. I've been in this process since October of 2007. I have 60 days to get this eval completed and back to the FAA in Wash DC.

Also, what is the nature of a SODA; Statement of Displayed Ability or something to that fact? Is it some sort of stamp on your certificate? Will I have to go through this process again and again with each airline/company that I apply to? If my certificate is noted as such, when does the "special issuance" note removed? What kinds of reactions can I expect from the airlines? What are my chances of actually being hired with a special issuance med certificate...especially with these types of remarks?

Sorry for all the questions Doc, but right now...you're my only resource!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

atp

First I do not know anyone in SE Florida but do have a list of these folks who work with the FAA a great deal. I will post a name (or 2) on Thursday afternoon when I get back to the office.

If you cannot get into one of these guys and get the evaluation done within the 60 day time frame, you can request an extension if you give them the date of the appointment.

They do not give you a SODA for this. They will probably just look at the evaluation and if the FAA psychiatrist is OK with it, they will not even place you on a Special Issuance. If you do get a Special Issuance, there will nothing on your medical certificate or at the most a statement that states "not valid for any class after DATE". This is usually use for cancer or heart problems.

Employers have no access to you FAA medical files and the most they can see is a statement in the file that says "Class ___, Limited". This is even on the notation if you wear glasses.

Thank you for your assistance and information Doc; I must admit....reading your words silenced alot of fear that had crepted into my thinking!

I'll look for your post on Thursday and let you know how things turn out.

Thanks again.

atp

Rafael Perez-Espejo, MD
2501 North Orange Avenue, Suite 307
Orlando, FL 32804
407-897-6997

or

William E Green, MD
USC School of Medicine
Department of Psychiatry
3555 Harden Street Extension, Suite 103
Columbia, SC 29203
803-935-5356

Both of these fellows are on the FAA list of psychiatrist who work with the HIMS program so they understand what the FAA wants in the report.

Sounds great Doc.

I did get a call from a Medical Group in Boca Raton and the Admin Asst told me that their office was familiar with what the FAA is looking for. I have an appt set for 4/14/08 @ 4:30pm.

I will call the Dr. Espejo and see if I can be seen sooner. If so, I'm there.

You know Doc, with what I submitted to the FAA so far, I believe I have a good chance of being issued my 1st Class. My reasoning is that if anything would have disqualified me, I truly believe that the FAA would have let me known immediately.

Thanks again, Doc. Your're a great asset to this forum. I'll keep you posted.

Marcus
(atp)

Well Doc, psychiatric eval scheduled for tomorrow, Friday @ 1330 hrs. The attending physician says he will get report out to FAA asap; as a matter of fact, he gonna fax it and then mail a hard copy. Report has to be in D.C. before May 25, 2008.

Wish me luck.

I'll let you how things turn out.

atp

Back