Another PPL

Lead Sled

Got it done on Friday. Had to solo OKV to SHD (good warm up/ cool the nerves flight) to meet the guy for the checkride. Everything went really smooth and within 45 minutes of flying the DE said something like "that's OK, but here let me show you something." At that point I knew he trusted I'd be a safe pilot and just wanted to send me home a little wiser. The coolest thing was going down there solo and going back home private.

Anyways, no ego here. I'm not taking any non-pilot friends up until I've gained more experience. Will probably do more dual instruction to get better at cross wind landings and a few other things.

Nonetheless, see you all in the sky:nana2:

Congrats!!!! Could you possibly post up a more detailed description? Many others would benefit from it!

Hmm, sure. OK, what else can I tell you? I really benefitted from having to XC solo to get to there. Gave me a chance to practice one last time....."OK, where's my closest field? What radials am I on? Hold alt and heading with one hand and work the E6B and keep checking the map with the other, scan for traffic, scan instruments." I knew I was going to open with a diversion and that practice made it easier. I studied up all week on the FAR/AIM, normal and emergency procedures, POH and my written was recent enough that it was all still fresh in my head for the oral. My instructors made a point that when I was asked a question on the oral.....just answer what he asked you and don't elaborate, you'll set yourself up for a trap. And they also emphasized to know my airplane very well, John and Martha tell you a lot but every plane flys different and you gotta show the DE you understand the importance of your POH. My instructors at OKV were fantastic, two different ones took me on a mock checkride the week before and promised to act like tough examiners so I'd be more than prepared. That ended up being extremely helpful.

Oh yeah, 50 hours, 9 months, steam gauge 172. Really hard for me to balance full time work and flying. But lots of unofficial time with my dad in the previous years helped me to do it in fewer hours than it would have been otherwise.

Congrats! What is the plan after this? Going to get your IFR, etc...?

for now I just want to gain more experience, knowledge, confidence, etc. dont' know where it's all heading. I'm gonna keep on flying because I love doing it. I'll go for my instrument before too long, but not sure about a career.

Anyways, no ego here. I'm not taking any non-pilot friends up until I've gained more experience. Will probably do more dual instruction to get better at cross wind landings and a few other things.

Sounds like you will do just fine. judgement is a big part of this game.
Congrats

Back