Another low-Fair airline

Just what we need, another LCC
confused.gif

Thats "Low COST Carrier" their fares may not be. Though with Song and Ted added into the mix, I'm not sure we can call them that either.

[ QUOTE ]
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what i was going to say.

Maybe Song and Ted should spin off a LCC of there own to. Then we could have Carriers w/ LCC's w/ LCC's ?????

And regionals, the LCCs should have LCCs as well as a few regionals that can be LCCs for the regional level with $35-50 round-trip fares . . .

. . . come on, if we're gonna expand, let's do it right and go all the way down!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We need LCC's to keep the big boys honest!!! Every now and then, a LCC will become a major, and show everyone how to stay in business (I won't say which one...).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We need LCC's to keep the big boys honest!!! Every now and then, a LCC will become a major, and show everyone how to stay in business (I won't say which one...).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmm ummmmmm I'm gonna take a guess and say that your probably referring to SWA.

Since we all know that you have a constant love affair with them.
grin.gif

Hehehehehe just a guess.

Matthew

Re: Another low-Fare airline

I welcome more LCCs. Anything that employs more pilots and gets more Americans traveling is good for the entire industry. Places like Southwest, JetBlue, and Frontier take pretty good care of their pilots. Nobody complains about the pay scale at JetBlue and Southwest is pretty much the standard for 737 pay. If Virgin takes care of its customers and its employees it will thrive. If not it will eventually wind up on the dung heap with the other failures of airline lore.

Doug, I don't guess too many Delta people are crying in their beer over Fred leaving, huh?

Russ

Maybe instead of the "Greyhound in the sky" we may get the Trailways and two other choices. No complaints here. Although I must admit i had to laugh when I heard there was going to be a hooters air.

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmmm ummmmmm I'm gonna take a guess and say that your probably referring to SWA.

Since we all know that you have a constant love affair with them.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Who, me???
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

We all know that LCC's are never going to replace the big guys. But they will force the big guys to make smart decisions. If there's no real competition in the domestic market, the big guys will screw us harder than they have in the past.

There really hasn't been any 'screwing' by anyone.

If you look at the way the current system works, they're selling different products to different market segments.

If you've got 21 days advance notice (most likely a leisure traveler), there are reasonable fares available for purchase.

Now an airline that also caters to business travelers who need to travel on short notice has higher fares for that segment. Before I hear the 'big evil legacy carrier' speech, an airline is going to sell a certain amount of seats at leisure fares. They're NOT going to sell out the entire aircraft with leisure fares because then their normal business customers won't have the ability to purchase a last minute ticket from ABC to XYZ so those are 'set aside'.

If I'm traveling on business at the last minute but the airline never has seats available for me because they're always sold out with leisure customers, I'm going to have to look elsewhere for my travel needs.

Setting aside seats for business passengers and taking them out of the leisure travel inventory has a certain 'opportunity cost'. Imagine having a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts, and 18 people immediately line up to purchase your donuts at $.50 each.

Through market research, you've determined that about 4 people usually call the donut kiosk at the last minute and are enroute to purchase a donut. So you'll sell 8 donuts at $.50 immediately, but then set aside 4 donuts out of your inventory for your 'last minute/hold a donut for me' customers. Well, you're not going to charge them $.50, you're going to charge them $.75 because due to a premium of holding them for later sale when they could have sold immediately.

LAX to MCO $318 Delta (nonstop, approx 4 hours)
LAX to MCO $159 Greyhound (2 days, 5 hours, 15 minutes)

[ QUOTE ]
There really hasn't been any 'screwing' by anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit, that was a little too harsh...not really screwing. And I see your point...but I still think that the LCC's are a healthy thing for the industry.

The only LCC which I see healthy for the industry is Jetblue........
smirk.gif

I just hope this stupid Virgin USA thing doesn't try to replace one of the good quality majors here in the U.S like Virgin Blue replaced our beloved Ansett Australia down under.
frown.gif
Ansett Australia was far better than Qantas.......
frown.gif

Although, most of the reason they got flushed down the dunny is mostly because of Air New Zealand, Virgin Blue just helped to finish them to finish the airline off......

I hope we don't see the same kind of thing here in the U.S...

[ QUOTE ]
The only LCC which I see healthy for the industry is Jetblue........
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So, tell me...do you think that LCC's are damaging the industry? How?

Do you guys ever see LCCs competing on the international routes (trans-Atlantic, Pacific, etc.). I can see this happening in the future if they add more amenities to the aircraft that they would plan to use for international flights.

I don't believe LCC's are damaging the industry nor do I believe they will...

Southwest is completely different than JetBlue. Jetblue are actually trying to compete with the major legacy carriers, and I'd have to say America West is also... Because of JetBlue and America West the major legacy carriers are being forced into offering more service and better quality service to compete... That is why I say those 2 airlines are the most healthiest for industry, they force the major legacy carriers into offering more, and improving....

Interesting. I think the LCC's are doing damage, but perhaps not to the industry. I remember flying on the airlines when I was a kid. What a glamorous experience it was. Now, flying the airlines is like flying a bus, with the same boredom, frustration, and lack of glamour. I still like looking out the window, but that is about it.

You have to get into business class to feel something of those old days, and who can regularly afford that? When I've built up enough FF miles, I usually uprgrade.

Airlines like United, American, and Delta still have at least a bit of the old time feel. I see that the LLCs, while helping to keep commercial aviation alive, are bringing the quality down. But, as you'll no doubt point out--it is what the consumer demands, so we're doing it to ourselves.

Back