Another garmin 430/530 question

viper548

If I were to fly an ILS/DME approach where the DME frequency is the localizer freq., how would I set that up in the GPS. For a VOR or VOR/DME, the waypoint must be the VOR, but how is it done for the ILS/DME?

The identifier for the ILS will be the waypoint. For example, here at PRC with the dual 430s we fly, "IPRC" would be what we put in for the ILS/DME.

The 430 doesn't have a DME receiver, but GPS distance is a legal substitute. To determine the GPS distance, do a direct-to to the destination airport, hit the PROC button to select an approach. If it's a precision approach, it'll automagically load the ILS freq into the standby position and the distance to the MAP will be on the active flight plan page.

If you haven't, read the manual; the 430 is an impressive piece of gear but most people learn only the bare minimum to use it. Dig a little, download the simulator program from Garmin's website and wring it out.

Matt, you learn all that from the 430 sim? Wow. Or have been doing some IFR training?

Josh

cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
it'll automagically load the ILS freq into the standby position and the distance to the MAP will be on the active flight plan page.

[/ QUOTE ]

One word of caution about doing this is that the GPS will give the distance to the next waypoint (ie MAP) and that distance may not be what is depicted on your chart. If the DME is off the ILS or a VOR the MAP may be something like 1.2 DME on your chart but your GPS will show 0 DME at the missed if you are using the GPS to overlay the procedure.
I find it's easier to just set up the GPS to the navaid and not load the procedure unless of course it's a GPS approach.
tongue.gif

Yes, this is true, but I can't say I agree that it's easier to do a direct-to to the navaid; remember: plan for the missed, hope for the landing. By doing the direct-to-navaid instead of loading the approach, you're cheating yourself of the 430's assistance on the missed (and in the case of the 530, an automatic timer in the hold!
laugh.gif
). I guess I also don't see the need for DME to the MAP until you're actually on that segment of the approach; the intervening fixes are already in the database and are based on the DME distances so knowing where you are relative to them is all you'd need for stepdowns. Heck, the thing's even got NDB approaches in its database for criminy out loud!

p.s., to correct my earlier post, the 430's active flight plan page only shows the distance to the next fix, not to the MAP--unless the MAP is the next fix, of course. The 530 also shows the cumulative distance to any fix in the flight plan.

If you have dual 430's we always keep one on the "Nearest" page which will constantly give you your distance

[ QUOTE ]
If you have dual 430's we always keep one on the "Nearest" page which will constantly give you your distance

[/ QUOTE ]Not exceptionally useful during an appoach as that distance is to the airport reference point, not the MAP.

Aloft...we were talking about distances from Navaids and ILS/DME approaches which the 430 will give you on the nearest page. Also the approach will also give it to you when loaded

But your point about the GPS using ARP's is correct and valid

Back