Another eye issue

mooneyguy

been around forever
I have a detached Retina. I was wondering what needs to be done once my eye DR. releases me.
I have had the Gas bubble, and laser treatment to repair it.
Do I have to report it to my AME right away (once being cleared by my DR), or at my next Physical with my AME?
If the vision returns to normal (which it appears it will) is this something that will be hard to get through, in terms of getting a new medical, or is a detached retina a fairly routine thing?
Any info/advice is greatly appreciated

You will have to submit a Form 8500-7 completed by the ophthalmologist along with copies of your medical records to OKC for their review. The retinal detachment is disqualifying until they grant authorization for a medical certificate. This will be especially true if your vision in that eye does not return to the FAA standards.

You will have to submit a Form 8500-7 completed by the ophthalmologist along with copies of your medical records to OKC for their review. The retinal detachment is disqualifying until they grant authorization for a medical certificate. This will be especially true if your vision in that eye does not return to the FAA standards.

Thank you for the reply DR Forred.
Do I have to report this immediately to my AME, or when I next go in for a physical?
Assuming the vision returns to normal, would there be a problem with getting a 1st class again?
When you say medical records, I again assume the med records the ophthalmologist is keeping on this specific occurrence?

Do you have any experience on how long it takes to get a medical back from the faa on a retinal detachment?
Thanks again

It needs to be reported now.

You can get a first class after retinal detachment.

It takes about 8 weeks after you send the information to the FAA.

Back