Burrito

You ARE Freaking out. Man.
Hello friends.

I know there's so many ways of doing this, but I'm tired of playing the "just list on company" game and fighting after the damned flights start canceling for stupid reasons. Recently I was told over the phone with a certain luvable airline "they no longer list dispatchers from inter-airline" and that "the option must be completed through MyIDtravel." Seemed like an awful lot of trouble, as I stood in front of the MDW ticketing agent who recommended I called that number ... Only to work through MyIDTravel, and come through "Pilot Commuting Listing" and have the gate agent not know how to correct the ticket to "Dispatcher." Great.

I'd had one or two trips on United with no issues at the gate, simply by showing the badge and providing CASS verification, and can't count how many times Delta's saved my rear when compAAny fails (like the above case).

So, yeah, while I know some folks prefer solely riding company, I just like having...options...that work. Easily.

What's been your ace in the hole? Delta?
Connections? A zeroed out credit card..?

Whenever you talk on the phone to THAT airline just tell them you are a commuting pax and they will do it over the phone. They don't need to know you are DX......the gate can handle that.

OP I really wish I had some valuable input to this question as it burns in my mind too. I'm quite fresh into the industry but have already had some good and not-so-good JS experiences. The only thing I can add of value is that it really seems the smoothness of my commuting trip boils down to the experience of the CS agent, whether it be at the counter or gate. I've had some totally baffled when I have explained I am trying to list at the gate for a JS (of which I'm not able to pre-list online) as a DX in CASS to other seemingly more experience personnel simply "hook me right up." In for other input.

Recently I was told by two different majors at the counter that I have to go to the gate for a ticket and no ticket request was even needed to get through TSA. I don't think TSA will be ok with me just strolling through security completely paperless lol, but I could be wrong..

If your airline serves the airport you are departing from all you need is your company badge to get through TSA

If they don't try referring them to their SOP 2.10
Give that a shot in CLT see what happens. Not trying to be argumentative but each station creates their own security plan, which only needs to be as/more restrictive than the federal guidelines. CLT, TRI, JFK, LGA, and IAD won't accept badges in my experience, with or without a boarding pass. It's just easier to use a passport.

Whenever you talk on the phone to THAT airline just tell them you are a commuting pax and they will do it over the phone. They don't need to know you are DX......the gate can handle that.

Gonna give that a shot next time, thanks for this.

If they don't try referring them to their SOP 2.10

It's a mixed bag getting through TSA, but my issue is less with them so much as it is with listings in this thread. Most mindless drones at TSA waive me through when I've got the business casual and a "smile" with the badge ("IS THIS YOUR YEWNEEFORM SIR???") ...

I guess, it just comes down to the listing at the gate on Day/Departure vs. the phone call pre-Day/Departure (which would be ideal).

From MyIDTravel

Please note that listing procedures for commuter travel on Southwest Airlines have not changed. If you are referred to myIDTravel for commuter listing, please advise the reservation agent that you are listing for commuter travel, and not attempting to purchase a ZED Pass. You will be required to present a CREW badge at time of check-in. Listing for commuter travel via myIDTravel for Southwest Airlines is not possible at this time. Please refer to your inflight or pilot base for further information regarding your commuter travel agreements and listing procedures.

Here at 9E our myIDtravel login only works for AA and B6. It's supposed to work for VX too but I've never gotten it to go through.

I've jumpseated on AA, DL, UA, AS/QX, WN, SY, F9, and NK. The only airline that will not let you make a listing at the gate is NK. You must list online at spirit.com (scroll to the bottom where it says Team/OA Travel).

AA is supposed to be able to list you at the gate, but most of the dinosaur gate agents will shoo you away and tell you to do it online, while most of the younger ones won't know how. So I always list on myIDtravel with them. I've had no issue with the others. I've found UA will also list you at the customer service center, at least at ORD. Oftentimes you will get different answers if you ask different people. I called WN to list and was told (after being on hold for forever) "we only list pilots and flight attendants over the phone, everybody else has to go on myIDtravel". I called back again and got a different lady who kindly made a listing for me.

I've never had an issue going through TSA with my badge, but our badges say "CREW" on them and also say Delta Connection, so that may be why. We have to go through normal screening since we aren't in (and don't have a) uniform. So most of the time, I will list on a DL flight so I can go through the precheck line, then cancel it if I hop on something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can list yourself on spirit's website
go to the bottom , select OA travel/ jump seat and pick other airlines

you will need a password - you'll need to check the jump seat person in your airlin. and list as a pilot

upload_2016-9-18_22-41-24.png

I pretty much exclusively use 'Murican for J/S. They are adamant about pre listing.
Per company Jumpseat guide, we have to list on myIDTRavel for AA and B6. The other companies that we have agreements with have other procedures listed eg, Delta, United, VX, are all list at gate. Fedex and UPS have numbers listed. Try reaching out to your J/S coordinator for an updated list.

The Good ol' boys at AA (former US Airways Airbus crew) always find it surprising when I say I'm a DX'er. I've actually have one guy look it up in flight (kinda too late for that but oh well) and one that asked to double check my stuff AFTER we landed.

I do company badge, DX license and passport
I do passport and boarding pass, hasn't failed me once. well once where a TSA agent asked if I had a drivers license...again CLT. In that case I just handed over my DL, I'm always in a rush at the airport and I didn't have time to argue.

The only airline that will not let you make a listing at the gate is NK

WN and AA will not allow you to list at the gate either.

To answer the question, and confirm with what others have said, WN call and just tell them you want to list for OAL non rev/commuter travel. AA you list on MyID greater than 24 hours from departure and if less than you call the 800 number. I use WN, DL, and NK for my commuting every 4 days and they're always very easy.

http://jumpseatinfo.org/JumpseatResources/AirlineJumpseatPolicies/tabid/1592/Default.aspx

Valuable tool right there.

It would be nice to have a uniform policy and everyone was properly trained and followed policies. To further add to the discussion every time I have listed for the jumpseat on AA it has been from the gate and I have not received any headache from it yet. These examples were out of PHX and RNO The exception being I tried to make a jumpseat listing at the ticket counter so I wouldn't be a pain for the gate agent or trying to explain to a ticket counter agent i am not a ZED fare. We also have the ability to list for the jumpseat on my id as well have to make regular non rev listings on my id. I think this is an excellent thread that shows just how inconsistent non rev and jumpseat travel can be. To the person who is just getting into this industry it can be frustrating and discouraging. The best advice I can contribute is to get very familiar with the airline's listing procedures, policies, and boarding priorities. I even keep a printed copy of both mainline partners in my bag when I fly. Sometimes this can be a life saver. Along with that, pick up any and all tips, tricks or any other info from what has been said on this forum or fellow co workers. Above all remain calm and have a plan B and possibly C when dealing with any airline, agent, and TSA.

AirTran was my ace in the hole but unfortunately they are no more.

Delta and United pretty much always comes through for me if I am in a pinch. I have also nothing but good things about catching a ride on Spirit.

AirTran was my ace in the hole but unfortunately they are no more.

Delta and United pretty much always comes through for me if I am in a pinch. I have also nothing but good things about catching a ride on Spirit.

NK always treats me well when I use them. Bottled water and snacks if you want them. Gate agents, although almost all contract company, will seat you in exit rows with isle and windows over the paying PAX who didn't pay for seat assignment. It also helps that I brings boxes of candy for gate and FA's too.

Back