Another ADD question

TDWQ

I am currently waiting for a response to the public ACT job posting. I have done a bit of research and feel as though I will have trouble obtaining a class 2 medical certification.

I am currently 22 years old. When I was 17, I was prescribed Paxil for general anxiety and stopped taking the medication after about a year. When I was 19, I was prescribed Adderall to help with my studies which I am still taking. I was never diagnosed by a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist with a ‘mental disorder’ and I am able to function without the medication.

I am aware that reporting ADD during the medical exam is an automatic disqualification and that SI is on a case by case basis. Would it be beneficial to get an exam today and begin the lengthy appeals process or is the outcome more favorable if I stop taking the medication while I wait for an exam to be requested? Will I inevitably have to test for ADD and if so, what is the approximate cost for these tests?

Also, if anyone pursuing an ATC position been declined a medical certificate I would be interested to know how it played out. Were you disqualified until your appeal was successful? Did you have to reapply at a later opening, etc?

You will automatically be disqualified if you are taking either Paxil or Adderall. Since you are now in your 20's, you will need to be off the medications for at least 90 days and then obtain a psychiatric evaluation as well as neuropsychological testing. This testing runs anywhere from $1000 to $4000 depending on the extent of the tests the FAA requests.

You will automatically be disqualified if you are taking either Paxil or Adderall. Since you are now in your 20's, you will need to be off the medications for at least 90 days and then obtain a psychiatric evaluation as well as neuropsychological testing. This testing runs anywhere from $1000 to $4000 depending on the extent of the tests the FAA requests.

I just went through these tests and they were about 1500, though my insurance paid most of it. I finally got my medical certificate issued. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ryan

Back