Another 172 incident?

I've been hearing rumors that an Air China student overran the runway yesterday night...Can anyone confirm this??

Several rumors are going around. Not much of a big news event, though. I think an Air China incident occurs just about everyday. The Grand Forks ATC guys work very, very hard to make sure those guys don't cause havoc in the Grand Forks traffic pattern. But as for the uncontrolled satellite airports, landing with 15+ knot tailwinds, flying incorrect traffic patterns, cutting off aircraft on short final, etc. are everyday occurrences. It's sad to say, but any accident/incident if very foreseeable.

I've been hearing rumors that an Air China student overran the runway yesterday night...Can anyone confirm this??

Cant be true because No solo Air China night flight have been approved since that last accident...unless they changed it but I haven't heard anything.

Several rumors are going around. Not much of a big news event, though. I think an Air China incident occurs just about everyday. The Grand Forks ATC guys work very, very hard to make sure those guys don't cause havoc in the Grand Forks traffic pattern. But as for the uncontrolled satellite airports, landing with 15+ knot tailwinds, flying incorrect traffic patterns, cutting off aircraft on short final, etc. are everyday occurrences. It's sad to say, but any accident/incident if very foreseeable.

Wow, reminds me of the bad old Kemper days at KLNA.

I know someone overran the end. Not sure if it was undergrad or air china. I don't think Tokai was involved with this one. Minor scratches as far as I know. They missed C2, continued to the end, too much speed for the turn. I'll take a wild guess tower asked to "expedite" after missing C2 and they just hurried a bit too much around the turn.

This is all rumor. I saw the trucks, not the aircraft. It was about 10 minutes after sunset, so not night.

Remember, a 172 does not corner like a Warrior. You folks transitioning into the 172s keep that in mind while you're taxiing. A few knots too fast and your liable to go tipping over. High wing vs. low wing...

Remember, a 172 does not corner like a Warrior. You folks transitioning into the 172s keep that in mind while you're taxiing. A few knots too fast and your liable to go tipping over. High wing vs. low wing...

Good God, how fast are you going, if your going to tip a 172 over? Like really, there is no reason to be going that fast, ever, other than on the runway for takeoff/landing.

Good God, how fast are you going, if your going to tip a 172 over? Like really, there is no reason to be going that fast, ever, other than on the runway for takeoff/landing.

Why are you inferring that I taxi that fast? I was giving some pointers to the crowd who is transitioning their fleet from Warrior's to 172...

Why are you inferring that I taxi that fast? I was giving some pointers to the crowd who is transitioning their fleet from Warrior's to 172...

No, I'm just asking how fast you have to taxi in a 172, in order to be worried about tipping one over? Nothing person, just amazed that someone would have to be warned about tipping a plane over while taxing.

No, I'm just asking how fast you have to taxi in a 172, in order to be worried about tipping one over? Nothing person, just amazed that someone would have to be warned about tipping a plane over while taxing.
Yeah, I've never found it to be an issue.

One thing I have noticed is that if your taxiing fast and slightly step on a rudder it will gradually veer to one direction getting sharper and sharper thus needing more rudder in the opposite direction to correct. I can see what happened as its very easy to feel rushed to get off the runway albeit it should be done in a prompt manner.

I have no idea, I haven't been gone fast enough to tip one yet. However, I have crossed the boundary where you feel it start to body lean. Much like driving my Jeep down an on-ramp. You'll feel the body start to lean as you pick up speed, pull the turn a little tighter and over you go.

I have no idea, I haven't been gone fast enough to tip one yet. However, I have crossed the boundary where you feel it start to body lean. Much like driving my Jeep down an on-ramp. You'll feel the body start to lean as you pick up speed, pull the turn a little tighter and over you go.

Except your jeep doesn't have dinky little tires.. The 172 would probably skid before it tips..

I know someone overran the end. Not sure if it was undergrad or air china. I don't think Tokai was involved with this one. Minor scratches as far as I know. They missed C2, continued to the end, too much speed for the turn. I'll take a wild guess tower asked to "expedite" after missing C2 and they just hurried a bit too much around the turn.

This is all rumor. I saw the trucks, not the aircraft. It was about 10 minutes after sunset, so not night.

Just curious, how many Cessnas do you guys have now?

Sweet. I played with it today, and was willing to go up to 12 knots in the turn, and felt no tendency to roll. But, your mileage may very. I'd kinda like to know how fast you would have to go to even get it to skid, in any case.

Sweet. I played with it today, and was willing to go up to 12 knots in the turn, and felt no tendency to roll. But, your mileage may very. I'd kinda like to know how fast you would have to go to even get it to skid, in any case.
trust me the inside wheel gets really light at around 20kts. seen too many students try it, it doesn't skid

I've skidded 150s, stopped trying after about the second solo flight ever.
i have seen them skid too, but if you try to take a 90 degree turn off the taxiway at 20kts, the inner wheel gets very light. i would assume at 25+ it would not be in contact with the ground anymore

UND has photos from 20yrs ago when they used to have cessna's that did flip or tip over, so it is possible!

i have seen them skid too, but if you try to take a 90 degree turn off the taxiway at 20kts, the inner wheel gets very light. i would assume at 25+ it would not be in contact with the ground anymore

UND has photos from 20yrs ago when they used to have cessna's that did flip or tip over, so it is possible!

I'm not sure I follow... What do you mean the inner wheel becomes light?

Back