Annoyingly Tedious Weather Scenario

Re: Duty Limit

I don't have the numbers anymore as I'm a hardened freight dog now, but far cheaper to eat the cost of a diversion than to consistently buy excess fuel that is burned up enroute because of a heavier airplane (annually in the 10's of millions of dollars per airline with conservative calculations).

Also, in the scenario you brought up-crew sked would DH a crew in to the diversion airport to repo out then cover your trip, and you dh out after required rest for more abuse.

You do realize there's a reason why the captain, and not dispatch, determines the amount of fuel that will be carried on board a flight, right?

Here's what happed:

I show up at 18:10, and my FO starts talking about how he thinks we should cancel, which is a legitimate concern and at least gets me on the phone with dispatch a little later.

The flight was scheduled to leave at 18:40

The agent comes down to ask about boading at 18:15

I say "hold off 5 minutes", call dispatch and discuss the TAF's and METARS's with them. This is when the possibility of adding fuel for another (megahub) alternate is discussed. We agree that it would be wise to add 1000 lbs so that we could make it there if needed.

At this point I'm willing to go.

Pax are and bags are loaded by 18:45. Dispatch send us a message through ACARS saying "wait until the next METARs come out at the top of the hour before you go, if it's still showing below mins they want to cancel the flight" (they presumably being dispatch supervisors).

I make a PA explaining the situation the pax.

The METAR comes out at the top of the hour and still says OVC 100 1/4 mile, VV100. As soon as I see that I call dispatch and they confirm that the flight is cancelled. They say it would've been a wast of fuel. I'm in no mood to argue, and even if it was, we subscribe to the "most conservative approach prevails" method of decision making.

As soon as our pax and bags are offloaded, another crew come running to the airplane; their equipment had a hydraulic leak and they were going to use our airplane for their flight. I wonder if this may have been the ulterior motive for dispatch to cancel oru flight. Unfortunately for them the plane had about 3000 lbs more fuel than they needed, which would take a hefty bite into their payload. I don't know what happened with that, because I left for my crasphad.

THE END.

PS: The METARS never improved throughout the night, so odds are we never would've been able to attempt the approach.
About 1 hour after we would've departed, the destination TAF was amended to reflect 1/4 mile 100 ovc vv100 for the rest of the night.

Re: Duty Limit

You do realize there's a reason why the captain, and not dispatch, determines the amount of fuel that will be carried on board a flight, right?

Entirely. The Captain always has the final say in fuel required for a flight.

Back