ANG

Hello, I am a high school senior wanting to be a pilot. I am wondering what my chances of a pilot slot are if I join the ANG after high school and then want to commission after I graduate college. I figure enlisting during college would be a good way to pay for college while gaining good experience. Also, how hard is an ATC slot to get as enlisted? I'd love to become a controller for the ANG while in college. Thanks for your help.

Being enlisted certainly helps, especially if you want to fly in the unit you work for.

Call 'em up and ask about being ATC!

Hello, I am a high school senior wanting to be a pilot. I am wondering what my chances of a pilot slot are if I join the ANG after high school and then want to commission after I graduate college. I figure enlisting during college would be a good way to pay for college while gaining good experience. Also, how hard is an ATC slot to get as enlisted? I'd love to become a controller for the ANG while in college. Thanks for your help.

Dude you are a smart man. I recently got a spot as a pilot with a Reserve unit. My background is civilian, however, if I had to go back and do it again this is exactly what I would have done.

In my opinion if you really want to fly, pick a unit near your school (or a school near the unit you want) and join up man. Work your ass off as an enlisted throughout school and get to know the pilots, officers, and other higher up types. Get good grades and stay out of trouble and you will have priority above any civilian applicant when it comes time to hand out UPT slots. There are no gurantees but that is definitely the best way to do it.

If ATC is your thing go for it, but if you want to fly, I would suggest aircrew or aircraft maintanence so that you can be familiar with the aircraft and get to know the pilots. I think that would be a huge increase of the odds in your favor as opposed to being an anonymous voice over the radio.

Also think about:
What aircraft the unit flies....what do you want to fly?
How often do they have interviews for UPT slots?
How many candidates do they send to UPT when they give out slots?

Good luck man!

Thanks for the replies. Seems like it is a good idea. I live in Illinois and the Milwaukee unit is the closest. They fly kc-135s which are high on my list of planes dreaming to fly. I only want to fly heavies as of right now. I also like ATC and figure it would be a good option but will look over my offers. Thanks again for the advice!

Anyone know when the KC-135s will start being replaced by the new airbus or boeing?

If KC-135s are high on your list, look into enlisting as a boom operator. Cool job and as long as you're legit, have your ducks in a row, and can hang with the boys it will benefit you GREATLY when you decide to meet the boards.

I was enlisted aircrew (loadmaster) for my unit for five years and am now in pilot training. Personally would not have done it any differently.

Pm sent KATO...are most guard pilots part time. Does the guard flight time help a lot when looking at majors like active duty time does?

I've heard from quite a few people that boom operator on a KC-135 or KC-10 is the best enlisted job in the USAF. You hang with the flight crew (get to know them for a UPT slot), have a great view from your "office" and travel a lot.

Good luck.

Back