ANG or AF RESERVES?

SQUAWK3274

Please give any pros or cons you may know for each.

I have almost got my "packet" together for a pilot slot... Just trying to make the right decision here on which to apply to. If you have first hand experience, and want to provide some input, then thanks in advance for your help!

I still haven't completely ruled out Active Duty either...

1. search function
2. baseops.net
2a. search function

Not too much of a difference, except that the ANG has an additional state mission. I've heard that the ANG is more resistant to the bullcrap AD policy things than the Reserves are, but I'll have to let others weigh in on that.

AFRC will get you to UPT faster than the ANG will. Many Reservists start UPT within a year of their selection. I know an ANG guy that's been selected for 15 months and he still hasn't made it down to Brooks for all the pyschological testing they do down there. I think his FC1 is already certified though.

Here's a pro of the ANG vs the Reserves: the length of commissioning training. For the ANG, you go to AMS for I believe 6 weeks. In the Reserves, you go through OTS like any other AD guy would. That's 12 or 13 weeks of suck.

Short answer: apply everywhere, take what you're given.

Good luck.

One is state run. One is Fed run. Other than a few other minor differences that won't necessarily make you permanently unhappy, that's about it. Visit the places that interest you the most. Pick the ones that you think have some great people to work with and then pick the ones with the aircraft you like, in that order. If you can't stomach a decision like that, go AD and don't eat anything heavy on drop night.

If you're interested in learning more about the 128 ARW, PM me and I'll answer your questions. Good luck!

1. search function
2. baseops.net
2a. search function

Not too much of a difference, except that the ANG has an additional state mission. I've heard that the ANG is more resistant to the bullcrap AD policy things than the Reserves are, but I'll have to let others weigh in on that.

AFRC will get you to UPT faster than the ANG will. Many Reservists start UPT within a year of their selection. I know an ANG guy that's been selected for 15 months and he still hasn't made it down to Brooks for all the pyschological testing they do down there. I think his FC1 is already certified though.

Here's a pro of the ANG vs the Reserves: the length of commissioning training. For the ANG, you go to AMS for I believe 6 weeks. In the Reserves, you go through OTS like any other AD guy would. That's 12 or 13 weeks of suck.

Short answer: apply everywhere, take what you're given.

Good luck.

1. I HAVE been searching (baseops, wantscheck, apc, my recruiter etc..)
2. Not sure why I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for until...
3. NOW! Thank You. That was the kind of response I have been looking for. On other forums, I just can't seem to get the answers I have been in search of.

I actually pasted the same post on airlinepilotcentral.com, so I will just respond with one of the responses I gave over there, rather than typing it all again:

"That was actually my initial plan, and the recommendation of my recruiter (even though he said that "technically" you are not supposed to do so). I am aware of how competitive it is, and am doing everything in my power to make myself as competitive as possible. I was really just trying to hear what differences there are between AF RES or the ANG.

I understand that the ANG is controlled by the US GOV as well as the STATE GOV. And from what I understand you can apply to a specific unit, and if selected for a pilot slot, will be guaranteed that units A/C (upon successful completion of UPT). This differs from Active Duty in that the aircraft and location you end up in depends on 1) the needs of the military, and 2) the rank you finish in UPT.

Really, I am just looking for someones first hand experience with either. Again, thanks in advance for the help.

Does anything stand out as a PRO or a CON over the other???"

One is state run. One is Fed run. Other than a few other minor differences that won't necessarily make you permanently unhappy, that's about it. Visit the places that interest you the most. Pick the ones that you think have some great people to work with and then pick the ones with the aircraft you like, in that order. If you can't stomach a decision like that, go AD and don't eat anything heavy on drop night.

If you're interested in learning more about the 128 ARW, PM me and I'll answer your questions. Good luck!

Thank you as well. So I guess I am coming to the conclusion that there aren't many differences of significance. Believe it or not, I am actually leaning towards AD. I am ready to make that commitment.

What prompted me to make the original post was a conversation that I had with another recruit at the AFOQT. I did not know that you could apply directly to a unit for a Reserve Slot as well. I do have a pretty good idea on what the ANG is all about (I have met with multiple recruiters over the last few years). However, it made me wonder what else I did not know about the Reserves.

In the meantime, I am definitely interested in learning more about the 128 ARW, and will be PMing you shortly. Thanks again for you help.

Dan

1. I HAVE been searching (baseops, wantscheck, apc, my recruiter etc..)
2. Not sure why I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for until...
3. NOW! Thank You. That was the kind of response I have been looking for. On other forums, I just can't seem to get the answers I have been in search of.

I actually pasted the same post on airlinepilotcentral.com, so I will just respond with one of the responses I gave over there, rather than typing it all again:

"That was actually my initial plan, and the recommendation of my recruiter (even though he said that "technically" you are not supposed to do so). I am aware of how competitive it is, and am doing everything in my power to make myself as competitive as possible. I was really just trying to hear what differences there are between AF RES or the ANG.

I understand that the ANG is controlled by the US GOV as well as the STATE GOV. And from what I understand you can apply to a specific unit, and if selected for a pilot slot, will be guaranteed that units A/C (upon successful completion of UPT). This differs from Active Duty in that the aircraft and location you end up in depends on 1) the needs of the military, and 2) the rank you finish in UPT.

Really, I am just looking for someones first hand experience with either. Again, thanks in advance for the help.

Does anything stand out as a PRO or a CON over the other???"

Thank you as well. So I guess I am coming to the conclusion that there aren't many differences of significance. Believe it or not, I am actually leaning towards AD. I am ready to make that commitment.

What prompted me to make the original post was a conversation that I had with another recruit at the AFOQT. I did not know that you could apply directly to a unit for a Reserve Slot as well. I do have a pretty good idea on what the ANG is all about (I have met with multiple recruiters over the last few years). However, it made me wonder what else I did not know about the Reserves.

In the meantime, I am definitely interested in learning more about the 128 ARW, and will be PMing you shortly. Thanks again for you help.

Dan

Yeah Guard/Reserves and AD are 2 completely different experiences. With AD, the one thing you have in common with your mates is you all have been sent somewhere the govt needs you. You may find it to be very tight knit. Everyone sticks close together. In Guard/Reserves, it's more like you all chose to be in that location. I have definitely noticed a more "big family" feel in the Guard.

Just a word of advice, Depending on the Aircraft your wanting to fly or actually get assigned to, think very long and hard about the AD. Remember the commitment is 10 years after wings (about 12 total). So with things being like they are now in the desert, you need to be totally open and willing to spend over 200 days deployed a year. If you are okay with that for the next 10 years then your the man they are looking for.

I am in ANG and just got back from a Voluntary deployment, and I will tell you the AD pilots are not happy. They are overworked and spending a lot of time away from home. I know a lot of them would kill to be able to get out. Unfortunately the AF has closed all doors for guys to separate since they are so short on pilots right now. Guys that are coming up on the end of their commitment are jumping ship as fast as possible. The only thing keeping some guys in is the crappy climate in the Airline Industry. I am not trying to dissuade you, but to give a very candid picture of what is going on in the AF right now.

The ANG and AFR are similar in ways but different. I would second the idea that you will be a little better "Insulated" to the BS of AD AF. Granted with the way things are going the AD is trying to invade all cultures and make everyone like them(Not a good thing) If you know where you want to live and fly and want to have flexibility to do something else in life (Airlines, Engineer, BestBuy Geek, Plumber) Whatever! The ANG and AFR would be much better choices. Also if you plan on having a fairly stable family life, and I mean "Stable" in the sense that its not as bad as AD but definetly not as good as a School teacher or some crap like that, the ANG and AFR would be a much sounder choice.

Good Luck with your decision, Were all Counting on you

Unfortunately the AF has closed all doors for guys to separate since they are so short on pilots right now.

You mean, all doors for guys to separate before the expiration of their ADSC.

There is not "stop loss" for pilots going on right now.

Just a word of advice, Depending on the Aircraft your wanting to fly or actually get assigned to, think very long and hard about the AD. Remember the commitment is 10 years after wings (about 12 total). So with things being like they are now in the desert, you need to be totally open and willing to spend over 200 days deployed a year. If you are okay with that for the next 10 years then your the man they are looking for.

I am in ANG and just got back from a Voluntary deployment, and I will tell you the AD pilots are not happy. They are overworked and spending a lot of time away from home. I know a lot of them would kill to be able to get out. Unfortunately the AF has closed all doors for guys to separate since they are so short on pilots right now. Guys that are coming up on the end of their commitment are jumping ship as fast as possible. The only thing keeping some guys in is the crappy climate in the Airline Industry. I am not trying to dissuade you, but to give a very candid picture of what is going on in the AF right now.

The ANG and AFR are similar in ways but different. I would second the idea that you will be a little better "Insulated" to the BS of AD AF. Granted with the way things are going the AD is trying to invade all cultures and make everyone like them(Not a good thing) If you know where you want to live and fly and want to have flexibility to do something else in life (Airlines, Engineer, BestBuy Geek, Plumber) Whatever! The ANG and AFR would be much better choices. Also if you plan on having a fairly stable family life, and I mean "Stable" in the sense that its not as bad as AD but definetly not as good as a School teacher or some crap like that, the ANG and AFR would be a much sounder choice.

Gone 200 days/year??? YIKES... I might have to talk this one over with the wife a little more:panic:...It would not be too bad a few times throughout the 10 yr commitment, but being gone that much every year would make it pretty much not worth it IMO.

I'm liking more and more the idea of going reserves/ANG and taking as much work as they can give me.

It depends on the mission. If you're in a -130 unit, you can do 60-120 day rotations in the desert.

If you're in a C-5, you're likely to have an x day trip (home, east coast, europe, desert, europe, east coast, home) and then be done.

That said, it's going to also depend on your unit; some units have more flying than others do.

It depends on the mission. If you're in a -130 unit, you can do 60-120 day rotations in the desert.

If you're in a C-5, you're likely to have an x day trip (home, east coast, europe, desert, europe, east coast, home) and then be done.

That said, it's going to also depend on your unit; some units have more flying than others do.

What if your F-16's? :D

...I am in ANG and just got back from a Voluntary deployment, and I will tell you the AD pilots are not happy. They are overworked and spending a lot of time away from home. I know a lot of them would kill to be able to get out. Unfortunately the AF has closed all doors for guys to separate since they are so short on pilots right now. Guys that are coming up on the end of their commitment are jumping ship as fast as possible. The only thing keeping some guys in is the crappy climate in the Airline Industry. I am not trying to dissuade you, but to give a very candid picture of what is going on in the AF right now.

:yeahthat:

When I transfered to the Guard 8 years ago, it was closer to the nohatsittingonthetailgateofatruckwithabeeroneweekendamonth visualization that the uninitiated gets when thinking of us. But in a professional way, believe it or not. Now, you've got AD-like Zombies wandering around and paranoid, jumpy folks just waiting for the sky to fall. I kid, I kid...the Guard is a ton of fun. AD...is not.

Hacker - The Link had nothing to do with your comments. The "OP" preceding it was meant to get the attention of the original poster. Or were you saying that the link is just completely and utterly worthless?

Hacker - The Link had nothing to do with your comments. The "OP" preceding it was meant to get the attention of the original poster. Or were you saying that the link is just completely and utterly worthless?

Link = good.

I misunderstood and thought you were posting it in reference to my comment.

Good info. Thank you very much. I will make sure to watch my grammar for you know who...:bandit:

Don't watch it for me. Watch it for yourself.

If you're going to be a professional officer and pilot, you are going to have to communicate like one.

If you end up going to fly fighters, expect that your flying aptitude and performance will be critiqued to an equally exacting standard on a daily basis.

Get up for it and don't suck.

Most of all....good luck!! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Don't watch it for me. Watch it for yourself.

If you're going to be a professional officer and pilot, you are going to have to communicate like one.

If you end up going to fly fighters, expect that your flying aptitude and performance will be critiqued to an equally exacting standard on a daily basis.

Get up for it and don't suck.

Most of all....good luck!! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

If I am given that chance, I will most definitely put more effort into my work then I did making an off-hand remark on an internet forum;)

However, I do thank you for your advice and encouragement, and I will keep you all updated. Scores should be back any day now ::nervous::

Having been in AD, and in both ARC components (currently in AFRC...AFRES for the old heads), they all have their positives and negatives, and even those are heavily influenced by where you're based, what airframe you're in, what unit you're in, what year it is, etc, etc.

In other words, as it always is, it depends.

Back