ANG lifestyle

thepedroid

I was wondering what people think about enlisting in the ANG. I have always wanted to join the USCG but cannot because I am technically a single parent. I believe the ANG will allow single fathers to enlist so I was wondering what the lifestyle is like if you have children.

I would go in with full intention on completing my 6 year enlistment, finish college while in, and try to nab any flight slots that pop up (I know its harder to get after enlisted). I would try to keep my full time job in scottsdale at the same time.

Basically, I am turning 27, haven't finished my associates degree yet and would really love to do something part time to serve my country and help pay for school. I have a buddy who I work with that is with 161st refueling wing at KPHX, and he pointed me to a recruiter whom I plan to call tomorrow. Just wanted to know aht the board thinks about this choice...

thanks

I believe there is an online recruiter you can talk to also. My cousin, she is in the ANC and she in IRAQ on her second or third term. She likes it over there because she gets paid more. I think she MP in the ANG. When she is home from IRAQ she enjoys working at Walmart, she has a nice house, car, and other great benefits.

I believe there is an online recruiter you can talk to also. My cousin, she is in the ANC and she in IRAQ on her second or third term. She likes it over there because she gets paid more. I think she MP in the ANG. When she is home from IRAQ she enjoys working at Walmart, she has a nice house, car, and other great benefits.

Thanks man. Is she single or in a relationship? I have a 2 year old son and a girlfriend so I have to keep them in mind if I am to enlist. I also just bought a house so relocating would be something I wouldn't be able to do. I've heard that once you sign up for a unit, you pretty much stay there unless you request a transfer. Do you know if that is true?

What is it like in IRAQ for an ANG? I'm thinking depending on the job you probably stay on base for the most part.

I was wondering what people think about enlisting in the ANG. I have always wanted to join the USCG but cannot because I am technically a single parent. I believe the ANG will allow single fathers to enlist so I was wondering what the lifestyle is like if you have children.

I would go in with full intention on completing my 6 year enlistment, finish college while in, and try to nab any flight slots that pop up (I know its harder to get after enlisted). I would try to keep my full time job in scottsdale at the same time.

Basically, I am turning 27, haven't finished my associates degree yet and would really love to do something part time to serve my country and help pay for school. I have a buddy who I work with that is with 161st refueling wing at KPHX, and he pointed me to a recruiter whom I plan to call tomorrow. Just wanted to know aht the board thinks about this choice...

thanks

If you're turning 27 soon you're very time sensitive for a Pilot slot, ANG or otherwise. Last I heard you have to start UPT by 30 and if you're still working on a degree with a 6 year enlistment that will leave you SOL. I've heard age waivers are easier to come by with ANG and Reserve so who knows, but it's definitely something you need to consider if you want to fly.

If you're turning 27 soon you're very time sensitive for a Pilot slot, ANG or otherwise. Last I heard you have to start UPT by 30 and if you're still working on a degree with a 6 year enlistment that will leave you SOL. I've heard age waivers are easier to come by with ANG and Reserve so who knows, but it's definitely something you need to consider if you want to fly.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to work my hardest to get a flight slot but luckily thats not my primary reason for enlisting:)

Thanks man. Is she single or in a relationship? I have a 2 year old son and a girlfriend so I have to keep them in mind if I am to enlist. I also just bought a house so relocating would be something I wouldn't be able to do. I've heard that once you sign up for a unit, you pretty much stay there unless you request a transfer. Do you know if that is true?

What is it like in IRAQ for an ANG? I'm thinking depending on the job you probably stay on base for the most part.

She is single, so I guess that will be hard for ya, since you have a kid. Not sure about the second part, I'll have to ask her, but my cousin been at Fairchild for many years now.

thanks

The recruiter would know more about being a single parent. But I do know a couple guardsmen that are in the same boat as you. So I guess you can. Buy neither of them have full time custody of them.

Who says its harder to get a pilot slot if your enlisted?

I have never heard of anyone being told to transfer. I am sure its offered, but i doubt they have mandatory moves. Its not AD. Tho I dont know what happens if your base gets BRAC'd. I assume they give you the option to get out of your contract if you choose not to transfer.

Iraq for the ANG is the same Iraq for the ARC and AD. Most jobs have you stay on base. SFs and EOD might be asked to go outside the wire. RED HORSE apparently goes outside the wire as well. But keep in mind, the main mission of the air force is the planes. So nomally you just sit on the base and make sure the planes can come and go.

One thing I would like to add. the guard is a lot more time consuming than the 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year that all the commercials talk about. I enjoy the guard, i just wish I lived a lot closer to my unit. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

GOOD LUCK

Who says its harder to get a pilot slot if your enlisted?

I think the point is that in the best case scenario, it would still take longer to do it that way. The OP @ age 27 doesn't have enough time to finish a degree, enlist, get picked up for a commissioning program, and then commission. Perhaps the guard is different, but in my branch most folks who make the E to O transition (and aren't in the nuclear/sub field) are fairly senior E-5's or better before they get looked at for a commissioning program. That just doesn't leave much time...

I could actually bang out the degree in about 2 years. Like I said, if I do decide to enlist I am going to bust my ass to get a slot, but thats not the primary reason why I want to enlist. I am mostly interested in serving my country, the adventure, and having an excuse to go to skyharbor more often:D. I have had 2 and 3 jobs for the last 4 years so it would make a great "part time" job for me. I still haven't called the recruiter but plan to do so sometime this month.

Know that there is going to be a pretty long wait time until you can get to basic. Between extending it to 8 weeks, the econonmy and high school kids going in the summer, it will be at least until the next fiscal year till you can think about starting basic.

I could actually bang out the degree in about 2 years. Like I said, if I do decide to enlist I am going to bust my ass to get a slot, but thats not the primary reason why I want to enlist. I am mostly interested in serving my country, the adventure, and having an excuse to go to skyharbor more often:D.

The problem is that your timeline really places you at the mercy of a lot of "what if's". You will not enlist, graduate from boot camp, graduate from A-school/MOS school and then several months later drop the bomb that you plan to push a commissioning package. There will be a time period where you will be unable to go to school on the side, and there will certainly be a period where "they" expect to get some use out of you as an Airman in whatever job they trained you for. Beyond that, your performance and a lot of luck will play into when and if you get picked up for a commissioning program. At 26 years old, your time will be tight. It is possible but IMHO you are running a big risk of blowing past the age limit. I know my service offers age waivers for prior Enlisted applicants, but I believe they will only waive to 29 years old.

Back