ANG / Airline Pilot Career Plan

AV8R_N8

Hello. I am currently trying to make a plan to get to my main goal. Goal being that of an Air National Guard Fighter Pilot, and an Airline Pilot. I am 20 years old, and currently a student at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. I started flying on my 13th birthday. Over the years I have been able to receive a little over 500 hours, along with my Commercial Multi-Engine Instrument Rating. Right now I'm currently working on my CFI. I just want to throw out the plan I have written down, and if anyone can shoot some comments my way. Just want to know if this plan sounds good, and the parts that don’t sound to good. I basically want to be VERY marketable, by the time I graduate college. I will graduate in 2005.

Here’s the plan:
1. CFI / CFII / MEI Certificates
2. Type Rating in a Cessna Citation
3. Do some flight instructing (while in college)
4. ATP Written
5. Graduate ERAU
6. Join ANG unit as an Air Traffic Controller (one of my minors at ERAU is ATC)
7. Apply for ANG UPT
8. FMS Certification
9. ATP Rating (when I turn 23)
10. Keep applying for UPT (until I hopefully get accepted)
11. After all of training is done for ANG and on reserve status, start applying for airlines.

I was told that by being in a unit in the ANG already, greatly increases your chances of being selected for UPT. So I’m looking at a unit in South Carolina (169th FW). They have ATC as a job for enlisted, and they also flight F-16's. After my tech training for ATC, I would start applying for UPT. Hopefully by that time I will have around 1000 hours flight time.
Well that’s my plan. And if anyone has any comments I would greatly appreciate it. I remember about 10 years ago, waiting for the time to come to get going on my career, and now it seems like it’s just around the corner. Thanks in advance.

Nate Carrillo

Back