ANA Ask Passengers To Use Bathroom Before Flying

tonyw

As everyone here knows, the more heavily you load up an airplane, the more fuel you burn. And with the cost of fuel at high prices, airlines are looking to cut fuel burn in any way they can.

For ANA, any way they can includes asking their passengers to use the bathroom so that their bladders and bowels are empty before they take off.

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/ari...irline-asks-passengers-pee-flying-save-energy

The airline is putting up signs at airport gates asking passengers to go to the bathroom. So-called "loo attendants" stand guard as well, asking potential pee-ers if they need to take a trip to the restroom. Bathrooms will still be on the plane, of course, in case of emergency. But ANA hopes that its shaming tactics will cut down on passengers' overall weight, in turn reducing the weight of the plane and lowering fuel consumption and carbon dioxide emissions.

I like how ANA portrays it as an environmentally conscious move.

It's kind of like how I explained to someone why I leave the dirty dishes in the sink after I'm done with them. I told them I leave them there to be ecologically sensitive. I tell them I'll wash my hands, and that will rinse off the dishes. Then I'll put them in the dishwasher. That way, I don't waste water rinsing the dishes.

They bought it.:D

Make 'em go. It affects my paycheck and the more people evacuate the better chance I have of getting a raise. It really is common sense that people would go before boarding anyway...I would hope. Additionally, if those flights are on the ANK or Air Next fleets, those flights are usually less than 2 hours anyway. "Poop. It's good for the environment."

I wonder if they actually calculated the average weight of a human bowel movement multiplied by the average number of passangers who would otherwise not have used the bathroom and than calculated how much that would save in fuel and compared it to the cost of those signs and attendants. Do you think they took into account a forced crap off the regular schedule might be smaller? I can't be the only one who is curious about that.

Ive never understood the people who wait to go to the bathroom on the airplane.....I cant tell you how many times ive seen people board the plane, and then immediately head to the lavatory.

I wonder if they actually calculated the average weight of a human bowel movement multiplied by the average number of passangers who would otherwise not have used the bathroom and than calculated how much that would save in fuel and compared it to the cost of those signs and attendants. Do you think they took into account a forced crap off the regular schedule might be smaller? I can't be the only one who is curious about that.

I nearly spit my Caribou Coffee on my screen! That was awesome!

I think some airlines are getting a bit carried away by this money, fuel saving problem they have. There are other way to cut costs which AA actually did by removing unessisary magazines and other items in the plane and ended up saving them alot per year.

Knowing the Japanese, I have almost no doubt.

I think some airlines are getting a bit carried away by this money, fuel saving problem they have. There are other way to cut costs which AA actually did by removing unessisary magazines and other items in the plane and ended up saving them alot per year.

Or taking the tabs out of the QRH (Sulley!) :insane:

My guess: too many grounded pencil pushers trying to please their bosses... looks good on paper, nobody's got any hands-on experience, throw in a bit of groupthink and before long everyone's convinced it's a genius idea!

Back