An off the wall question... any relationship bet CRT radiation and the pilot shirt wings?

AirbusA340_Freak

Guys,

I don't know.... this is the general page so I thought I would just throw this one out there to you. Highly unusual. It was suggested that there may be some danger (big... small, in between) in a commercial aviator sitting in a glass cockpit while wearing his gold (gold plated) shirt wings pin.... this pin is normally worn over his left pocket, just in front of the heart area. Computer screens normally generate some form of radiation (electromagmetic?) when they are turned on. Could there be any electro-interaction between the electro-energy disseminated by the CRT and the conductive properties of the shirt wing pin which could ultimately have some effect on the bodily well being of the aviator? Are there any documented cases?

Considering the relative sizes of the screens and the amount of metal, I would say you are much more at risk wearing pants with a zipper while watching a 27" or larger TV while at home. Although some may enjoy the extra stimulation!!

Where do you come up with this kind of question anyway?
grin.gif

That is a pretty interesting question, but I don't think it has much effect, if it did, a lot of pilots would be getting sick like in Beverly Hills where a school is on top of an oil field and everyone is getting cancer.

Cosmic and solar radiation from OUTSIDE the cockpit at altitude is a far greater concern. I'd venture to guess that most full-time computer jockeys are subject to more radiation from CRTs than pilot in glass cockpits are, particularly as more and more of the newer displays are LCD-based these days.

Hey Guys

I must apologise... I got the question totally wrong ...and out of context . I had to refer back. The inquiry should not have refered to real commercial pilots or glass cockpits, but "full-time" desk-jockey MS F-Simulator 2000/2002"pilots" (particularly individuals who like to fly in " full regalia " ie. pilot shirt, shoulder boards, gold shirt wing pins.... to enhance their personal thrills). Are there any dangers of electro-radiation to these individuals who do this as a practise. Apart from the part about bonified commercial pilots, the question appears to be the same as before.

[ QUOTE ]
(particularly individuals who like to fly in " full regalia " ie. pilot shirt, shoulder boards, gold shirt wing pins.... to enhance their personal thrills). Are there any dangers of electro-radiation to these individuals who do this as a practise

[/ QUOTE ]

I think radiation is the least of their worries if they get all dressed up to play a video game.

Our wings aren't gold plated. Don't know if that makes a difference.

I have had the thought that they ought to give us plastic kiddie wings to help us get through security though!
grin.gif

kostcoguy.... no, I am not the brains behind that question. (are you disappointed
grin.gif
?). It was a question posed to me casually by my dorm room mate from Bremen (an avid MSFS follower. Two of his country chums (they don't live with us) also fly their "virtual cockpits" in "full regalia" (for the want of a more pointed descripton). The question was posed to him by our building RA who happened upon him while he was in mid-flight yesterday
grin.gif
Guys, it was the most far-searching, and intriguing (albeit odd) question I encountered all year (bar none!) I just had to throw it out there (anonyminity has its advantages, hehe).

hehe, very dissapointed, but i can imagine some dorky kid in his dorm room with all his flight stuff on looking at a computer, quite a funny image.

So what you're telling me is that there are actually people who are so twisted in the head that instead of going out on Friday night and interacting with other people in whatever capacity, they would rather get dressed up in an airline costume and play a video game while fantasizing that it's reality? Dear God, help us.

hey jdflight, i noticed you are in Fresno, so would that meen you are based at "Fresno International Airport"?? lol, that airport calls itself international but it does not have one international flight! I flew out of there to SNA in July two years ago and back for something, that place is no man's land! And also! I was flying a little United Express out of there and they said there was something wrong with the bathroom so you couldn't use it and everyone said it was fine since it was a short flight, right as we're about to take off the pilot realizes that the inspectors were wrong about that, it wasn't a hose to the bathroom, it was the pressurization hose! holy crap, I would think there is a giant difference there! Come on United, train your guys better!

[ QUOTE ]
Could there be any electro-interaction between the electro- energy disseminated by the CRT and the conductive properties of the shirt wing pin which could ultimately have some effect on the bodily well being of the aviator?

[/ QUOTE ]

The short answer: No.

A little more verbiage:
Virtually all Americans for the past four or five generations have lived their entire lives bathed in relatively low frequency (<1.2 GHz) EM radiation. There has never been any real evidence that this environment has the slightest effect on living tissue.

As for a metal pin on a shirt. It would have an effect on the field so small as to be un-measurable, even if it were made of pure gold or copper. If you put a big enough chunk of conducting metal (like the shielding around electronic devices) in the way of an EM field it has the effect of stopping the field dead, short circuiting it so to speak. This is a good thing if you’re concerned about not being exposed to the EM radiation.

Back