An interesting idea...

From a review for ANTO

Quite possibly the worst experience I've had at UND. She made the entire oral check closed-book and asked questions that were outside of the TCO. Apparently anything from the Instrument Flying Handbook is fair game for a 221/27 with her.

Really?

A stage check that is closed book and questions outside the TCO? Of course it is and yes questions outside the Training Course OUTLINE are allowed, and yes anything from the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook for an Instrument rating CHECKRIDE is fair game. :banghead:

If it was a 222 stage that's much more understandable--221 doesn't cover a good portion of IFR training.

If it was a 222 stage that's much more understandable--221 doesn't cover a good portion of IFR training.

That's fair, BUT the stuff in the IFH isn't that hard and 221 students should know a good deal of it by the end of 221.

I propose this, since the instructors names are being displayed the student name should be displayed as well OR another website should be setup so instructors can rate the students, ie how prepared, attitude, overall ability, etc.

Let's call this what it is. Yet another way for certain students to whine and moan because doing less than the bare minimum wasn't good enough and UND is "out to get more money from them".

There are instructors who want to know what they are doing well, or what they are not doing well. If a student's complaining about something then the instructor might be able to go about things a little differently.

That's fair, BUT the stuff in the IFH isn't that hard and 221 students should know a good deal of it by the end of 221.

I propose this, since the instructors names are being displayed the student name should be displayed as well OR another website should be setup so instructors can rate the students, ie how prepared, attitude, overall ability, etc.

Why is that fair? Is the aerospace staff paying the students to come here? No.

Also...FERPA.

FERPA is null and void when the student put the date of the checkride and the examiner on the website.

I like the idea of feedback, it is one of the things we need more of in this industry, especially directly. However, that excuse for whining and crying isn't it.

I don't know if ERAU, OSU, etc have this problem, but the "coasties" at UND always seem to want some kind of "gouge" on what a stage check pilot was going to ask them, I always handed them the PTS.

FERPA is null and void when the student put the date of the checkride and the examiner on the website.

I like the idea of feedback, it is one of the things we need more of in this industry, especially directly. However, that excuse for whining and crying isn't it.

I don't know if ERAU, OSU, etc have this problem, but the "coasties" at UND always seem to want some kind of "gouge" on what a stage check pilot was going to ask them, I always handed them the PTS.

"Coasties"

That's cute. So you would rather not have a gouge for your airline interview?

"Coasties"

Apples to Oranges. Interviews vary from company to company. A checkride is spelled out in the PTS and the location of the answers is even listed.

Look, it isn't like I can even do a thing about the website, not that I would if I had even the remotest possibility. It is the mindset and attitude of people learning to fly now. No one wants to put in the time and hard work to succeed. They want the easy route, answers handed to them. When you call them on it, the cry "...I'm the customer!!!!" Just because you are paying UND for your flight training and taking checkrides from UND check pilots doesn't entitle you to a free ride, special treatment or any leniancy on the checkride, it should be no different than taking the ride with a FED.

What would actually make a website like this one useful to the learning process would be a databank of questions and scenarios different students encounter during checkrides, how they answered, what the correct answers were/are AND where to find that info. Instead it is what I quoted above, some whiny ass kid who didn't get their way, probably for the first time in their life, and needed somewhere to pout. What's the point, so when an instructor gets a reputation on that site as being tough everyone will just reschedule to get off their schedule? You don't get to pick the flights in real life where the poo hits the fan.

Why is it so hard for you guys to hold your peers to a higher standard and demand they be prepared for checkrides, when you screw up, it is no ones fault but your own.

Looks like a good idea to me. When I get assigned for a stage check I'm always asking around to see what the pilot is like. This just makes that information more easily accessible.

Apples to Oranges. Interviews vary from company to company. A checkride is spelled out in the PTS and the location of the answers is even listed.

Look, it isn't like I can even do a thing about the website, not that I would if I had even the remotest possibility. It is the mindset and attitude of people learning to fly now. No one wants to put in the time and hard work to succeed. They want the easy route, answers handed to them. When you call them on it, the cry "...I'm the customer!!!!" Just because you are paying UND for your flight training and taking checkrides from UND check pilots doesn't entitle you to a free ride, special treatment or any leniancy on the checkride, it should be no different than taking the ride with a FED.

What would actually make a website like this one useful to the learning process would be a databank of questions and scenarios different students encounter during checkrides, how they answered, what the correct answers were/are AND where to find that info. Instead it is what I quoted above, some whiny ass kid who didn't get their way, probably for the first time in their life, and needed somewhere to pout. What's the point, so when an instructor gets a reputation on that site as being tough everyone will just reschedule to get off their schedule? You don't get to pick the flights in real life where the poo hits the fan.

Why is it so hard for you guys to hold your peers to a higher standard and demand they be prepared for checkrides, when you screw up, it is no ones fault but your own.
//start rant
the longer I flight instruct the more i see this. especially from my 325 and 414 students. when i was student all of 5 years ago, nothing was given to me and i worked my ass off in those 2 courses to succeed. they were the first 2 courses i really truely put in the effort and i was able to get done close to on time (block times, not semester times because i went over on both. 325 i was 0.5 over after my stage).

people come to me with their mouths open and expect me to insert a silver spoon, but I WILL NOT. I am training you either to be a Commercial pilot or a CFI, and i tell them that in the beginning, and 98% are shocked. i have had a few students fire me because of it. whatever, good ridance, you don't have what it takes anyway.
//end rant

See, I am not trying to be a rectal opening!!!! With the Colgan accident fresh in our minds, people still won't stand up and take charge of their own career progression and won't hold their peers around them to a standard.

Besides, any good check pilot doesn't give the same checkride twice.

and if people want to rate stage check pilots, whatever. i really don't care. i am not going to be changing my standards, and will continue to test per what the PTS requires. I think most students have never looked inside their PTS, the standards aren't a secret, it is all there for you either in the forward or the specific task areas.

What's the big deal? It's not like people are going to read this site instead of studying. Those that do won't get very far anyway. Personally, I take stage checks seriously and I would want to get as much information as possible going into it.

Jr

The big deal isn't the site, per se, it is the mentality that spawned the site. If students were doing what you suggest, the desire for the site would never been enough to incite its creation. Instead, as Buick noted, students show up expecting to be spoon fed and when it doesn't happen, they whine to their friends, who instead of smacking them in the back of the head and telling them to study, the come up with this website to get a shortcut through a stage check.

Now, if you are using it because you want to learn if an instructor has a certain area they like to hammer on or something along those lines, ok, I can see that, BUT, if you do as you said, study, it won't matter, you will know the material.

To be honest...I don't see the big fuss. It's not really a "gouge" per se. It's actually more of a message board....something along the lines of, "that bastard was tough/easy, had an attitude/was cool." It's probably just something to calm the nerves prior to the stage check (if there are good 'reviews'). I don't think its intention is to provide stage check info.

As far as putting the names down of the actual students, I don't think it's something that should be required for several reasons. For one, it's an independent website...and secondly, it's seriously just like a message board. If they want to remain anonymous, so what. It's kinda like here...I don't know the real names of some people here and they probably feel it's best if it's not known.

On a side note, too bad I left before this website was created. I'm curious as to what students had to say about me and my stages...hehe. :eek:

I personally think the site is a waste of cyberspace. The thought of PTS is the standard used is the best because that is what is required. I think by putting this out on the forums is going to get the stage pilots to rethink the way they administer there stages because if they are known as a softy they are gonna turn into a terminator real quick. Also the best way to find out on how a stage pilot is , is by the way of mouth. You find out if they are fair or not, so you know how the stage pilot is and there is no evidence of this for that stage pilot to see or hear about.

Have a good night, back to the patrol car I go.

"Coasties"

You know 400A hit the head on the nail here. A gouge for a airline is way different than to know how to pass a checkride which checks the compentency and quality of your flying. To be honest you should ask around to see what the stage pilot is like as far as is he a friendly guy or kind of a hard ass. You study like the stage pilots a hard ass and if you get mr. nice guy then you sir will have a easier ride. To find out what he focuses on doesnt do you any service and as well as if this were to be posted up like it is he or she will most certainly change there stage check to be totally differeny. The most you can really and should do once again is ask to see if the stage pilot is friendly or a hardass. thats about it. nuff said.

Now back to catching speeders. No one has been speeding tonight.

No real surprise that this site is up. It is more surprising that it wasn't created a while ago. I wouldn't be too worried about this being up though. I don't really think this site will help students. More or less it will likely freakout student when an unprepared student gets hurt over a botched stage.

I always laugh at this forum when people assume that something new is going to make students worse such as glass and or this type of site. When it all boils down to it there are those who can and those who can't. I know that everyone knows students and instructors that fall into these categories.

I always studied my butt off for every stage check i had at UND and i took the same study habits with me to airline PC's (check rides). Never had any problems. Those who use a site like that as a crutch will struggle it is as simple as that. However it may be good for those few stage pilots you alway hear about that ask questions such as "what is the weight bearing capacity of the step on the Warrior" If those guys don't figure out that they are a jackass while at UND they will definitely figure it out when they move on.

However it may be good for those few stage pilots you alway hear about that ask questions such as "what is the weight bearing capacity of the step on the Warrior" If those guys don't figure out that they are a jackass while at UND they will definitely figure it out when they move on.

Have you actually known a stage pilot who asked a question like that???

Back