An ATC Simulator!

Cool, I'll have to check this one out. I play this a lot ... http://www.atc-sim.com/

Not going to lie,before I wanted to be a controller I played that a fair bit. Today I work one of those approaches and I smugly clicked your link and tried to play for the first time in 8 years. Descended my first plane ( a skylane) to 3,000, based AAL then an unseen Jetlink wore my Skylane as a hood ornament.

Not going to lie,before I wanted to be a controller I played that a fair bit. Today I work one of those approaches and I smugly clicked your link and tried to play for the first time in 8 years. Descended my first plane ( a skylane) to 3,000, based AAL then an unseen Jetlink wore my Skylane as a hood ornament.
Do you mind if I quote this and include it an article I'm writing for Quartz stating your name and occupation to show how unsafe the skies really are, controlled by people who can't even play a simple online ATC game? It really doesn't matter because I'm gonna do it anyway. Kthx, but first...
1941037_635144333225703_1392188459_n.jpg

I'm sorry. I thought this was the thread where that guy who wrote the article about inflight pics was getting bashed. My bad. I will shut up now.

Used to waste a lot of time with that, thanks for the link so I can see they made loads more versions for me to get addicted to.

My favorite free simulator is a game from Japan called "I am an Air Traffic Controller 3". They have various Japanese airport modeled as well as Kai Tak and Honolulu, you work all positions from Clearance delivery to TRACON at once. Japanese ground control will talk to the rampers towing planes in Japanese and at Kai Tak they talk in Chinese, but you can see where everything needs to go. It gets really crazy really fast as you can only transmit a command when no one is talking on the freq you need, and your stress bar shoots up everytime you miss a call and the pilot has to call back, if you have a pilot depart with a tailwind, if you miss issuing a decent(usually leads to a goaround) or miss a handoff. You can easily lose by letting too many guys pile up on clearance delivery and then getting an endless string of frustrated call backs not letting you respond. Planes don't stop unless you tell them to hold and will rear-end each other, and runway changes make things crazy. The game is free with download links on youtube, but you need an emulator to install/play them otherwise everything is in Japanese and won't run correctly. If you have the patience to follow the install instructions and download all the parts, it's an amazing game with lots of add-on airports and traffic. I think one guy was making a 1990 Denver Stapleton. I beat the whole game in expert mode, took me months and many, many tries. Keep an eye on the score, you can't be too conservative or you won't push enough tin to pass the level.

If you do watch the video, this guy wasn't very good at it. He sent his first inbound to land on 31 when 13 was active resulting in a go-around and could have easily lead to a collision. Then he piles up 3 arrivals on short final for the same runway. You really have to pay attention in this game. I like it, it is one of the only games that has ever seriously stressed me out.

Last edited:
Used to waste a lot of time with that, thanks for the link so I can see they made loads more versions for me to get addicted to.

My favorite free simulator is a game from Japan called "I am an Air Traffic Controller 3". They have various Japanese airport modeled as well as Kai Tak and Honolulu, you work all positions from Clearance delivery to TRACON at once. Japanese ground control will talk to the rampers towing planes in Japanese and at Kai Tak they talk in Chinese, but you can see where everything needs to go. It gets really crazy really fast as you can only transmit a command when no one is talking on the freq you need, and your stress bar shoots up everytime you miss a call and the pilot has to call back, if you have a pilot depart with a tailwind, if you miss issuing a decent(usually leads to a goaround) or miss a handoff. You can easily lose by letting too many guys pile up on clearance delivery and then getting an endless string of frustrated call backs not letting you respond. Planes don't stop unless you tell them to hold and will rear-end each other, and runway changes make things crazy. The game is free with download links on youtube, but you need an emulator to install/play them otherwise everything is in Japanese and won't run correctly. If you have the patience to follow the install instructions and download all the parts, it's an amazing game with lots of add-on airports and traffic. I think one guy was making a 1990 Denver Stapleton. I beat the whole game in expert mode, took me months and many, many tries.

So, today is my Friday. I thought about this thread on break thinking atc-sim.com would be more realistic if once in a while N12345 took a call for XYZ678 heavy. Proceed to work nothing but our satellites combined and its 9 frequencies populated with mostly single engine GA guys with biz jets and military guys sprinkled in every..freaking..time. Get home, grab a man soda and click your youtube link... BURN THAT WITH FIRE! For about two seconds I was thinking, he has Charlie, he's descending to.... what am I doing!

So, today is my Friday. I thought about this thread on break thinking atc-sim.com would be more realistic if once in a while N12345 took a call for XYZ678 heavy. Proceed to work nothing but our satellites combined and its 9 frequencies populated with mostly single engine GA guys with biz jets and military guys sprinkled in every..freaking..time. Get home, grab a man soda and click your youtube link... BURN THAT WITH FIRE! For about two seconds I was thinking, he has Charlie, he's descending to.... what am I doing!
That's the beginning level, ish gets cray cray and there's no "I was on the land line" command.

That's the beginning level, ish gets cray cray and there's no "I was on the land line" command.

See without "I was on the landline" the realism just isn't there. The voices did remind me of a Korean Air Force F-15 pilot who only knew two phrases in English. Rojah! and We land now! Wonderful when the preceding instruction was reduce speed to 190, traffic to follow is a 737... Then again a Luftwaffe Tornado pilot once threatened to have me demoted. To what I have no idea.

I feel obligated to change runways and arrivals for the lulz

These little fake blips need to suffer too

My favorite free simulator is a game from Japan called "I am an Air Traffic Controller 3". They have various Japanese airport modeled as well as Kai Tak and Honolulu, you work all positions from Clearance delivery to TRACON at once. Japanese ground control will talk to the rampers towing planes in Japanese and at Kai Tak they talk in Chinese, but you can see where everything needs to go. It gets really crazy really fast as you can only transmit a command when no one is talking on the freq you need, and your stress bar shoots up everytime you miss a call and the pilot has to call back, if you have a pilot depart with a tailwind, if you miss issuing a decent(usually leads to a goaround) or miss a handoff. You can easily lose by letting too many guys pile up on clearance delivery and then getting an endless string of frustrated call backs not letting you respond. Planes don't stop unless you tell them to hold and will rear-end each other, and runway changes make things crazy. The game is free with download links on youtube, but you need an emulator to install/play them otherwise everything is in Japanese and won't run correctly. If you have the patience to follow the install instructions and download all the parts, it's an amazing game with lots of add-on airports and traffic. I think one guy was making a 1990 Denver Stapleton. I beat the whole game in expert mode, took me months and many, many tries. Keep an eye on the score, you can't be too conservative or you won't push enough tin to pass the level.

If you do watch the video, this guy wasn't very good at it. He sent his first inbound to land on 31 when 13 was active resulting in a go-around and could have easily lead to a collision. Then he piles up 3 arrivals on short final for the same runway. You really have to pay attention in this game. I like it, it is one of the only games that has every seriously stressed me out.
I tried finding download links but had no luck. Can you point me in the right direction??

Back