Ameriflight career journal

Yes they furloughed, as most everyone did. However all furloughs were recalled within 9 months, and others were given the option of moving to Freedom (not a good option I grant you!)

I thought the discussion was not whether they furloughed, but about the claim was that he would still be on furlough.

Also, the latest RJ upgrade class for Mesa has 2001 new hires in it. Not to mention that Dash 8 captains were upgrading within 3 months.

Listen - I know Mesa "sucks" compared to what it used to be. But so does every commuter. I had dinner with some CHQ pilots the other night and the things they told me were horrifying. Two Comair pilots at the next table joined us and they didn't have any better stories.

And all agreed that CHQ and Comair are two of the best places to be!

If someone is dead set on becoming an airline pilot (and most around here seem to be) then Mesa is no worse a choice than any place else. You will fly at least as much as you want, you will make decent money after a while, and you will certainly have a wide choice of places to work.

Bog update me on this - I have these for latest bases:

CRJ: PHX, DEN, LAX, PHL
ERJ: DCA, CLT
DH8: PHX, DEN, GJT
B1900 (Air Midwest): All over the place, but includes such nice places as APF, PBI, TPA, PFN, MSY, etc.

Pete
Welcome aboard
I really enjoyed your journal
I would like to know if you have any regrets not getting the job with Skywest
And looking back what are your thoughts on Ameriflight likes and dislikes. I would like to work for them in the furture to build up my experience before I move onto a regional someday.

Yeah I often have regrets about not being hired by SkyWest. Not because I feel it would have necessarily been a better place to work, but just that I would have been able to have my choice of a number of great domiciles. Houston, Cleveland and Newark don't do much for me. But had I not gone to COEX then ACA, I would never have met my wife, which to me makes it all worth it.

Ameriflight was a good company to build some multi-engine time and professional flight experience. Maintenance was top-notch. I would definitely recommend working for them or for Airnet, the other big Part 135 freight carrier. The schedules sucked, but I never intended to stay there forever. It was a stepping stone.

Everyone I know who's worked for Ameriflight, says exactly the same thing Pete just posted above. Good company. GREAT experience.

Back