America's 10 scariest airports- yahoopoo

I dont see the big deal, I mean how many lights and approach aids and extra guys watching your approach and coaching you in, do you really need? Plus, dont those things pretty much land themselves anyway? ::hehehehehe::

NOPE. Final controllers do it for them. :p

Going above... slightly above. Slightly above coming down. Coming down and... TOUCHDOWN.

Just wanted to know what you guys thought about the list. Some I feel are very random to be in there.
Article

It's one of those dumb yahoo slide show things so here is the list:

Reagan National Airport, Washington, D.C.
Chicago Midway International Airport, Chicago, Ill.
Bob Hope Airport, Burbank, Calif.
Nantucket Memorial Airport, Nantucket, Mass.
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Atlanta, Ga.
John Wayne Airport, Santa Ana, Calif.
LaGuardia Airport, Queens, N.Y.
Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles, Calif.
Eagle County Regional Airport, Vail, Colo.
Reno-Tahoe International Airport, Reno, Nev.
LAX and ATL have no business being on this list. JFK's Canarsie approach in to the 13R would place that above those two; and let's not forget the occasional smackdown an A380 can give if you're not careful.;) Even SFO would rank above those two!

ASP, GUC, and DAB (yeah, I said it!) are much better choices.

I dont see the big deal, I mean how many lights and approach aids and extra guys watching your approach and coaching you in, do you really need? Plus, dont those things pretty much land themselves anyway? ::hehehehehe::
You never have a crosswind and you never have to flare. :p

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

1254530.jpg

No one mentioned this one.

So far for me, Catalina Island, especially during the wine mixer, and Lee Bottom, IN are the only airports I thought were kind of crazy. Lots of fun tho.

B18 Alton Bay, NH

Runway 1/19

Dimensions: 2600 x 100 ft. / 792 x 30 m
Surface:
water, in excellent condition

AltonBay.jpg

alton.jpg

1.jpg

You never have a crosswind and you never have to flare. :p

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Not so true about the crosswind....we get stbd, axial and port winds. Very true about the flare thing though but some still do!!!

San Diego didn't make the list? Who the heck approved that parking structure?

Orange County I understand. One of the few places airline passengers see the 1000' remaining sign.

Why Los Angeles? Long runways, flat valley, depart over the ocean. A lot of IMC approaches but that happens at a lot of places not on the list.

I love going into SAN on a nice day. Part of what I love, besides the view and the famous parking garage, is descending along the hill when landing West.

BUR and SNA are pretty much the same drill. They both have very short runways for large aircraft ops and handle a fair amount of traffic. Fly three red one white when you get close, stay right on speed and don't try an grease the landing or go easy on the brakes. Finally, just say "thanks" when you get a snide remark about your landing from the deplanning PAX. :)

The noise abatement stuff for Orange is over the top if you ask me. And I couldn't agree more with Derg. A Harley, a train or a loud car makes as much noise as we do. Yet they don't run the risk of getting fined if they are too loud. I wonder how many city council member's Botox injections and lipo have been paid for by the airlines.

KASE of course ought to lead the list. By any rational measure, that approach is insane. Probably the only airport I can think of where the legal approach minimums are lower than my "personal minimums". Not sure about other aircraft, but in a Beatchjet if you see the runway at MDA and the MAP, you don't have a snowball's chance of landing, even if you're riding the shaker at full flaps (which of course you shouldn't be doing to start with). Accident waiting to happ...woops already happened.

Second prize in my personal experience is split between KASG and KHRO (when the ILS is out). They thoughtfully built ASG right next to a huge ridge with (IMS) an antenna on top (we always called it an "airplane catcher"). And HRO has a rather significant mini-mountain right off (and slightly to the right of) the departure end of 18. Which just happens to be the runway you'll most likely use if you're shooting the VOR or NDB Alpha.

That said, Durango is no freaking picnic, either.

But at least at KASE, provided you can get the machine on the ground and stop in time, you can look forward to being spit on by Line Disservice and hanging out in the quaint hunting lodge style surroundings full of rich jackholes whilst the tower screams at people for getting "too close" to the LINE OF DEATH.

The departure noise abatement procedure at Orange, SNA, is done at such a steep angle, followed by a fairly large power reduction that it sort of feels like an engine failure. I wonder how many people in the back feel their heart skip a beat when that happens.

KASE of course ought to lead the list. By any rational measure, that approach is insane. Probably the only airport I can think of where the legal approach minimums are lower than my "personal minimums". Not sure about other aircraft, but in a Beatchjet if you see the runway at MDA and the MAP, you don't have a snowball's chance of landing, even if you're riding the shaker at full flaps (which of course you shouldn't be doing to start with). Accident waiting to happ...woops already happened.

Second prize in my personal experience is split between KASG and KHRO (when the ILS is out). They thoughtfully built ASG right next to a huge ridge with (IMS) an antenna on top (we always called it an "airplane catcher"). And HRO has a rather significant mini-mountain right off (and slightly to the right of) the departure end of 18. Which just happens to be the runway you'll most likely use if you're shooting the VOR or NDB Alpha.

That said, Durango is no freaking picnic, either.
ASE is really is more for turboprops and turbocharged pistons. Especially if you want to reliably get in and out.

Back