America's 10 scariest airports- yahoopoo

What makes runway 8 difficult? Just curious.

Short, 5,802', and it's the primary runway most of the time. If you assume you touchdown 1,500' down the runway, you've got just over 4,000' to decelerate a jet weighing upwards of 250,000 lbs (FedEx and UPS bring A300's in there). Very roughly, you can't float it.

I think this one is pretty scary...

nighttrap-1.jpg

Short, 5,802', and it's the primary runway most of the time. If you assume you touchdown 1,500' down the runway, you've got just over 4,000' to decelerate a jet weighing upwards of 250,000 lbs (FedEx and UPS bring A300's in there). Very roughly, you can't float it.
Sounds like SNA

But that's plenty long in my 207, and you fly a 207 just like you fly an A300. Hack airline pilots!

If we're talking 121 operations, Alaska Air takes the 737 into some places in Alaska that have crazy special approaches and departures, add to that the fact that they are often using those procedures in terrible weather.

San Diego didn't make the list? Who the heck approved that parking structure?

Orange County I understand. One of the few places airline passengers see the 1000' remaining sign.

Why Los Angeles? Long runways, flat valley, depart over the ocean. A lot of IMC approaches but that happens at a lot of places not on the list.

Pshhh... runway 8 is cakewalk.. for me at least
ScreenShot2012-09-14at111909AM.png

BUR gets some nasty wind shear.

Really Nasty...
and stiff crosswinds at times
and Southwest going balls out on the approach
and controllers canceling ur landing clearance right where the pic up there is taken
and MLB player's Gulfstream checking out the EMAS
and Ameriflight planes going tech on the runway
and student like me trying to squeeze in...

Very dangerous airport....

I think this one is pretty scary...

nighttrap-1.jpg

I dont see the big deal, I mean how many lights and approach aids and extra guys watching your approach and coaching you in, do you really need? Plus, dont those things pretty much land themselves anyway? ::hehehehehe::

Runway 8 in Burbank is the real deal in an airliner, though I'll admit that these guys made some pretty serious mistakes.

SouthwestA_B737_im3.jpg

I have to admit, the first thing that I noticed in this picture were the gas prices. :) I am sure that BUR is a tough airport for a 737 though.

Back