"American seeks to boost its use of regional jets"

That's the same attitude that got the industry into the mess it is in.

Yeah.... that was my point too.

The idea that a pilot is too good to fly a particular type of aircraft. I personally don't care what airplane I fly as long as I am compensated properly and have a decent QOL.

Its not like the mainline guys would even be flying it anyways because they would actually have to bring new people onto the seniority list. They wouldn't have enough pilots to take over the regional feeds. The way mainline guys should look at it is more of a buffer in the event of furlough. The only problem is than they might not be able to find any RJ pilots willing to fly a turbo-prop.
I don't know who you're trying to convince here you are speaking the choir. It sounds like you may be confused what's happening. Also, by the way, this RJ pilot has more than 3500 in props, ~2300 in turboprops and I have no problem going back if the pay and QOL are there. Getting back on topic, a bunch of guys 55-64 are nearing the end of their career, they don't care about improving the "profession" because they are almost out of the "profession", and need as big a paycheck as they can garner because the pension just ended. They will sell out everything, or the bankruptcy judge will steal it, and we'll all be bidding for the American Airlines flying and praying we get it. The regionals aren't going anywhere, in fact they will continue to grow and older airline pilots will continue to push the flying to regionals in hopes of a little bigger paycheck before they lose their seats at age 67 (next year, obviously not this year).

I don't care what they should do, neither does the mainline pilot, they will do what they want and we will do our best to deal with it. Personally I say my prayers everynight that a comet comes in and wipes everything out.

What I would really like to see is the Q400 flown by mainline pilots. I wonder if APA has considered making a pay scale for it. Plus with experienced mainline aircraft mechanics maybe they can actually get the mx bugs worked out.

The pilots would, that is not the problem. AA pilots offered to fly the CRJs at Eagle rates. They just couldn't get the AA ramp, FAs, gate agents and MX to work on the CRJs at Eagle rates. It is not just about pilots.

I don't know who you're trying to convince here you are speaking the choir. It sounds like you may be confused what's happening. Also, by the way, this RJ pilot has more than 3500 in props, ~2300 in turboprops and I have no problem going back if the pay and QOL are there.

Not sure why you took that as a personal attack on you, it was a jab at people like the XJ new hires that would flip their epaulets upside down to let everyone know they were on the 900. I haven't been able to figure out why but a lot of new hires that get put straight into bigger aircraft get a superiority complex and look down on pilots that fly "lesser/smaller" aircraft. It happened at XJ with the 900 and the Saab and it even happens at 9L with the Q and the Saab. The way those people act and talk, I'm kind of wondering if my member will grow a few inches just from moving to a bigger and faster airplane.

The pilots would, that is not the problem. AA pilots offered to fly the CRJs at Eagle rates. They just couldn't get the AA ramp, FAs, gate agents and MX to work on the CRJs at Eagle rates. It is not just about pilots.

That's a pretty simple fix, just operate two different certificates and have one pilot group. Its what they are doing at Pinnacolaba. My guess is that the scope clauses in the support personnel and FA contracts really aren't that great.

Not sure why you took that as a personal attack on you, it was a jab at people like the XJ new hires that would flip their epaulets upside down to let everyone know they were on the 900.

Ah I see why you are confused, you're not acquainted with anything other than some stories you've heard. Let me help you out. I'll give it to you chronologically.
Mid '90's:
Mesaba, who was flying the Metro's at the time and had lost the Fokkers brought on the Dash 8. The FO's who were freshly hired were placed into the Dash 8's because the senior FO's were on the Metro's and nearing their upgrades. The Dash 8 (TURBOPROP btw) FO's turned their epaulets upside down to let everyone know they were on "the eight".
Fast forward ten years plus:
Late '00's:
Mesaba, who was flying the Saab's at the time and had lost the Avro's brought on the CRJ-900. The FO's who were freshly hired were placed into the -900 because the senior FO's were on the Saab's and nearing their upgrades. The CRJ-900 Captains, told the FO's to turn their epaulets around to have some fun with them, most of that stopped when a couple captains recognized the exercise and told them they were jackasses. A bunch of MEM Saab FO's, not wanting to be left out of the fun, walked around MEM and on the bus to the employee lot with their epaulets backwards telling guys they were on the -900. Some even put in their earbuds and sunglasses on. That got stopped pretty quick because it's just mean spirited.

There you go.

As for taking it personally, I did not, I took it for what it was- wildly overgeneralizing and ignorant.

I haven't been able to figure out why but a lot of new hires that get put straight into bigger aircraft get a superiority complex and look down on pilots that fly "lesser/smaller" aircraft.

That's ok I'll explain it to you slowly. Pilot's are mostly egotistical dbags. ... actually that's it. Took less time to explain than I thought.

It happened at XJ with the 900 and the Saab and it even happens at 9L with the Q and the Saab. The way those people act and talk, I'm kind of wondering if my member will grow a few inches just from moving to a bigger and faster airplane.

I remember when I was at Colgan. The Saab guys would barely speak to us after they divided our classes up into the 1900's and saabs. No I take that back, there was at least one day I could recall when they asked us on the way back from class why we thought we were stuck on the 1900 and they went to the Saab. They tried to hide their laughter. Stupid me I just wanted my first airline gig to be on the airplane my dad helped build (first airplane he worked on at Beech as an engineer). I upgraded in the Saab before any of the Saab guys did though, just at a better company with better pay and the contract you enjoy now (well after a couple years of snapping your pay up to our grandfathered rates I should say).

I don't know why pilots are dbags mostly. Thankfully on the jet at Mesaba there aren't many of them. Come to think of it, there weren't many FO's I can remember being dbags on the saab either.

You know what it is? (HINT: MORAL OF STORY COMING UP) Pilots generally are good people but there is so much innate dick measuring that a lot of them get bad reps for being dbags when it's often a simple misunderstanding of the situation and (oftentimes) a defense mechanism for being very anxious about an industry they just got hired into and don't know much about.

That's a pretty simple fix, just operate two different certificates and have one pilot group. Its what they are doing at Pinnacolaba. My guess is that the scope clauses in the support personnel and FA contracts really aren't that great.
The AA pilots have the weakest scope clauses out of all the employee groups.
TWU has soon to be had the best scope in the group.

That's not a bad idea at all. APA accepts relaxing scope to match other legacies but under the condition that all regional flying is down by Eagle pilots who share the same seniority list with AMR pilots, unrestricted flow up/down consistent with seniority and aircraft staffing needs, 2 year seat lock unless moving to higher paying position, all AMR corp new hires start at Eagle, and at least a 5 year no furlough clause for the combined list. Some big egos at both unions will have to get deflated but it seems reasonable to me, and it can be done!

Not sure why you took that as a personal attack on you, it was a jab at people like the XJ new hires that would flip their epaulets upside down to let everyone know they were on the 900. I haven't been able to figure out why but a lot of new hires that get put straight into bigger aircraft get a superiority complex and look down on pilots that fly "lesser/smaller" aircraft. It happened at XJ with the 900 and the Saab and it even happens at 9L with the Q and the Saab. The way those people act and talk, I'm kind of wondering if my member will grow a few inches just from moving to a bigger and faster airplane.

I remember when America West was flying Dash-8s at mainline prior to any Mesa Airlines codeshare. From the few guys I knew there at the time, there wasn't anything like this going on. Why it's happening and where or why it began, is a good question.

I remember when America West was flying Dash-8s at mainline prior to any Mesa Airlines codeshare. From the few guys I knew there at the time, there wasn't anything like this going on. Why it's happening and where or why it began, is a good question.
Well like I said above, it happened at this regional in the 90's. It happened because pilots are odd ducks whose default setting is goofball.

Mainline pilots, just get the final key aircraft gauge(90 seat or greater) on property at economical rates and worry about pay-rates later. Negotiate shorter term contracts(seems like Fedex is getting a new contract and payraise every year) and include profit sharing. The best chance to get lucrative contracts is when the airline is running highly profitable and efficient. UPS, Fedex and SWA all got highly paid, industry leading contracts coming off highly profitable years.

I actually agree with this overall strategy. The Delta MEC made a good first step by putting E190 rates in their PWA, even though management currently has no plans of buying them. Negotiating a competitive rate for them was the first step, and refusing to give up that scope is the next. Negotiating shorter term CBAs/PWAs is also the key. Pilots frequently walk past quarters because they think they'll find a dollar another ten feet ahead, but then find themselves walking a mile to only find a quarter and a dime instead. The amount of money that pilots lose over the length of a career because they'd rather stay in negotiations arguing over a few dollars an hour on a three-figure hourly rate is incredible. You also mention timing, and that is key in an overall bargaining strategy. Trying to set up a succession of negotiations in which your strongest carriers go first is very important in pattern bargaining. We started off this cycle with Alaska, which is an incredibly profitable carrier, and they made huge strides on getting back to decent pay rates. They helped us at AirTran to reach similar rates, even though we're a carrier with nowhere near their financial stability. That's what can happen when you lead with your strongest carriers. Delta is coming up soon, and they'll be able to build on that success.

My guess is that the scope clauses in the support personnel and FA contracts really aren't that great.

You would be surprised. These unions are incredibly militant about holding on to jobs. We have had to shut down numerous AirTran routes because the contracts of the ground support personnel at SWA don't allow any outsourcing of ground ops at even the smallest stations, and SWA just can't afford to hire full-time ground support on SWA wages and benefits to serve two flights a day at a small station.

You would be surprised. These unions are incredibly militant about holding on to jobs. We have had to shut down numerous AirTran routes because the contracts of the ground support personnel at SWA don't allow any outsourcing of ground ops at even the smallest stations, and SWA just can't afford to hire full-time ground support on SWA wages and benefits to serve two flights a day at a small station.
Actually, Ground ops gave up out-sourcing/contracting at stations with less than 15 flights a day in their last contract. The company has yet to exercise that provision...

We were lead to believe differently, but I haven't seen their contracts. Any idea if they're available online somewhere? They don't put them somewhere on SWALife, do they?

Is that true?

Back