American Pilots Hate New Uniform

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
HI+RES+use+this.jpg
Testers have complained that some of the proposed uniforms are drab, so the airline says it may add a “pop of color.” The double-breasted look didn’t wow them either.

tmaxon@dallasnews.com
Staff Writer

Published: 16 March 2015 09:09 PM
Updated: 17 March 2015 10:50 AM

As American Airlines Inc. wraps up testing on proposed new uniforms, its pilots have spoken: They don’t like them.

“While individual perspectives varied, the consensus is that the uniforms as tested are unacceptable and management needs to identify a new uniform vendor,” the Allied Pilots Association told members in a hotline message last week. “The testers cited concerns regarding material quality, uniform construction and fit.”

In particular, the uniforms weren’t cut to fit different physiques, from slim to … uh, less slim. Some pilots developed rashes while wearing the new uniforms. The blouses for female pilots were too revealing. The double-breasted coat wasn’t too popular. And they’d like the option of a leather bomber jacket, too.

American is wrapping up a three-month test this week of new uniforms for pilots, flight attendants, gate agents and other employees, with a goal of rolling out the final versions next year. The last time uniforms were redesigned was 20 years ago.

APA spokesman Gregg Overman said the union is confident that all the problems will be sorted out. The pilots are excited about the airline’s direction, he said.

“We certainly embrace the idea that the uniform should reflect status, that we are a global carrier. This is all for a good cause,” he said.

Speaking of the fit problem, Overman said the uniform didn’t take into account that bodies change as people get older.

“We’ve got pilots in their 30s all the way up into their 60s. With that, you’ve got a variety of physiques. So we advocated three distinctively different types of fit: athletic, average and what is termed classic. When we got to the test phase, it became apparent there wasn’t enough range there that accommodates the variety of physiques, both on the male and female sides,” he said.

As to the problem with rashes, Overman said: “Clearly, you don’t want to trigger allergic reactions. We’re talking about something that our pilots will spend a fair chunk of their lives in.

“More than anything, our goal is to get it right. We think the wear test will be very helpful in addressing problems that otherwise would have cropped up after the uniforms were rolled out, and I don’t think anyone wants that,” Overman said.

American spokeswoman Chris Singley said the wear test is working just as the company had hoped by identifying the shortcomings of the uniforms, both for function and for employee acceptance.

“Overall, the comments have been quite positive. But the system is working because we are hearing about all manner of things. Some of them are very complimentary, and there are a couple of things we have as takeaways that we’re going to go and address. But they’re minor, relatively speaking, and nothing that concerns us greatly.”

One complaint by many employees has been that gray pieces in the proposed uniform are drab. Singley said American is looking at adding some “pop of color.”

In addition, she said, the testing has focused not just on how the uniforms look, but how they function. For example, the flight attendants’ uniforms must be stretchy enough to allow them to perform all their functions during a flight.

The uniform designers will take the feedback and try to address them before another wear test, expected to begin in a few months.

Singley said employees are excited about getting new uniforms, as evidenced by the feedback management has been getting.

“Part of that reason is because employees are ready for fresh new change that reflects the brand and the personality of the new American Airlines. This is important to people, and we want to get it right,” she said.

I'm not totally opposed to monochrome colors, but they are pretty drab. Also not a big fan of double breasted blazers. I feel like uniforms should be getting more modern...not more retro. I feel like double breasted coats haven't really been an in thing for a while.

Hey, speaking of uniforms...I saw a pilot walking around ORD in a green uniform. Never seen that before. It was something else. Anyone know who wears green uniforms? I'm assuming he wasn't an American.

Hey, speaking of uniforms...I saw a pilot walking around ORD in a green uniform. Never seen that before. It was something else. Anyone know who wears green uniforms? I'm assuming he wasn't an American.

St Patrick's Day Uniform? Did you ask him about his lucky charms?

You have to be careful...people are always after his lucky charms!

Ethiopian's uniforms are green IIRC. Quite a few expats working there...

I hope they keep the new leather jacket. Epaulettes on a leather jacket look silly to me.

Flew with a wear tester last week....the V-neck blouse is totally innapropriate and not functional. She had a rash on the sides of her neck from the shoulder straps as the blouse has no collar. Whose bright idea was this? As our captain she was totally unidentifiable as a pilot. This was just the beginning of the problems with the uniform....I could go on and on.

Too many buttons!

And do the two on the far left have plans for the layover?

I don't know, but I'm sure if you contact the Dallas Morning News, they could probably get you in contact with him and her. Way to wear that kink, son! :)

Alan [Parker, the director of Mississippi Burning] took me over to the set dressing area of the movie, and he said, ‘This is where we make OMD. Everything in the movie is covered with OMD. Every prop is painted with OMD. Every costume, a dye is made of OMD.’ I said, ‘What is it?’ And he said, ‘It stands for “Old Man’s [dAssk],” and it is a mixture of purple, light brown, and kind of an ochre color,’ and he says, ‘You will see what this does to our movie.’

And so, I went to the dailies that night to see what OMD was doing to our movie, and I’m watching the screen, and I’m thinking, ‘Where’s the OMD? I don’t see the OMD…’

And afterwards, Alan started quizzing me. ‘So, what did you see?’ And I said, ‘I, I can’t say what I saw. I can say what I didn’t see, because I didn’t quite see the OMD.’

He said, ‘That wasn’t the question! I asked you what you saw.’

And I said, “All I saw was flesh. All I saw was skin.”

He goes, “RIGHT!”

What the OMD does, it fools your brain. When the brain perceives a sameness in color, it negates it. The only thing in the movie that didn’t have OMD was the color of men’s skin.” And so when you watch that movie on the big screen, the flesh tones jump off the screen, because of OMD.

Those uniforms are Old Man's [dAssk]

If they don't like it, I'll wear it. (Actually I like my blazers with two sets of gold buttons and widget wings, but that's beside the point.)

Oh, and you can flame away at a previous ex of mine about it too; she's part responsible. :D

I've been wearing the male pilot uniform now for about two months. I really like it. The most common phrase I hear, from all groups, is "looks sharp". I never saw an F/A but did see a gate agent and they looked "OK", not great but much better than the L-US stuff is.

I started to become attached to the double breasted. Looking up close at the DL guys, it's not nearly the same. More relaxed, and I like the color quite a bit more. The dark grey color looks good IMO. I'm going to miss it, when I go back to the M&H crap next week.

I've been wearing the male pilot uniform now for about two months. I really like it. The most common phrase I hear, from all groups, is "looks sharp". I never saw an F/A but did see a gate agent and they looked "OK", not great but much better than the L-US stuff is.

I started to become attached to the double breasted. Looking up close at the DL guys, it's not nearly the same. More relaxed, and I like the color quite a bit more. The dark grey color looks good IMO. I'm going to miss it, when I go back to the M&H crap next week.

The cool thing with the Delta uniform is that you can drop into a Navy surplus store and get the exact same coat, if need be. Just replace the buttons and you're set.

Back