American Eagle, what are you thinking?!

AFA MEC? Oh I thought he was ALPA MEC!!!

Well I think that both sides of the story have not been told yet ...

Not defending Eagle, they definitely suck as an airline, but that does seem exceptional.

I remember when my dad's aorta burst one night and I got the call when I got on the fround in PBI. I called him and talked to him just before he went under the knife.

I immediately called Mesa Crew Tracking and I was amazed at the response. They offered to take me off the shift right there and send me MUST RIDE all the way to Albany, NY. Well I finished the shift, but I gratefully took the MR to Albany the next day. I called in to CT and they said "you take as long as you need John, just try to call us every couple of days and let us know how things were going." I stayed in Albany two weeks with no loss of pay, and Mesa mgt sent my dad a get well card and some flowers!

I never felt more a member of a family than I did with Mesa. So all you Mesa haters out there, you don't know the real story.

When I got married Jonathan Ornstein sent us a wedding card, sent my wife a bouquet of flowers, and told me that "I promise CT won't be calling you for two weeks!!!"

I miss that place ...

Kind of reminds me in the movie "Men In Black" where the MIB's have people look into the light and ***FLASH!!***

"Uhh, whatever you think you saw, you didn't"

AS THE PROP TURNS, THE SAGA CONTINUES

American Eagle - How Does Management Sleep At Night???
The following message has been sent to American Eagle Flight Attendant, ALPA Officers, posted on the MEC Web Site (www.afa-ae-web.org)

Dear American Eagle Flight Attendants:_

This evening I write to you with a heavy heart. I have spoken with Linda Kunz, Vice President of Flight Service in regards to the company's response over the Debra McDougald situation._

The company has taken a stand that the responsibility for the lack of compassion lies on Debra McDougald. Melissa Hendrickson, Chicago Flight Service Manager, has taken no responsibility for her actions. In fact, during the ongoing investigation that the company is currently conducting, Melissa has created her own version of what she believes is the truth._

Melissa claims that the reason why Debra's second request for A9 Travel was refused was because Debra did not tell Melissa that she was going to her son's funeral. Melissa maintains the position that Debra merely contacted her to request A9 Travel because Debra and her daughter were on vacation and she was stuck in Dallas in an attempt to get to Seattle._

I would like for you to keep in mind that just six days previous to this, Melissa authorized a request for A9 travel for Debra and her family to Seattle and was completely aware of the circumstances._

My question has remained unanswered. Why did Melissa not authorize A9 travel for Debra to attend her son's funeral? There is no logical reason. No common sense has been exercised._

American Eagle Airlines has never been the type of corporation to take responsibility for their actions. Rarely do its employees step up to the plate and force the company to look at themselves. Today, our company has overstepped its bounds and I am personally holding them accountable._

I am asking for your help. As I have said many times in the past, your Union Leaders are only as strong as you - the member - make us. I am asking for your full support. I am asking for you to allow me to use your voice to make a very loud and powerful statement to our company._

That statement is "Enough Is Enough - Treat us with respect, dignity, compassion, and take responsibility for your actions!”_

The response to my original e-mail has been posted on AEINFLIGHT.com, American Eagle’s Inflight Departments web page. The company is clearly acknowledging the union’s presence in this matter._

Earlier today, I was on a conference call with Susan Piper, Regional Managing Director in Chicago and Debra McDougald. Susan had informed Debra that the “company” has decided to remove Debra from her trip, which is scheduled to begin on Friday with pay. I had asked why was the company removing Debra from her trip. The response from the company was “Because the letter posted on the MEC Website has sparked a lot of controversy”. In other words, they don’t want you – the flight attendants – to speak to Debra and hear her story directly._

I immediately informed the company that this was a direct violation of Debra’s rights. The company’s position then changed to “offer” Debra the choice. Again – the company is not willing to take the responsibility to admit that they were clearly wrong._

It is quite apparent that the company is not happy that this situation has come to light. Clearly it is their intent to discredit this situation as “the employees fault”._

At approximately 7:00PM EST this evening, I received a telephone call from a Chicago Based Flight Attendant to inform me that there was a “hand written” letter taped on the Union Board in the Chicago Crew Room. The letter said:_

“Interesting – did you know that your MEC President, Bill Hennessey, is on full-time Flight Pay Loss recovering from an elective plastic surgery while your union dues dollars pay for his time off of work”_

I would like to address this issue._

It is true. I have recently had surgery (August 25th, 2003). The surgery was a result from an Injury On Duty that I sustained back in June of 2001. My first surgery was in January of 2002 and the second procedure was done two weeks ago. I am on Workers Compensation. This can be verified by contacting American Eagle's Workers Compensation Management Company, Specialty Risk Services at 1-877-300-6187._

It is my belief that this letter posted in Chicago’s Crew Room was a tactic to discredit me. The AMR Corporation is notorious for Union Busting Tactics. In fact, the company employs Attorneys that work for the United States largest Union Busting Law Firm “Ford And Harrison”. These attorney’s are used in Arbitrations and Grievances that are filed on your behalf._

While I am not accusing the company of writing this letter, I cannot be certain that they didn’t. I am sharing this information with you so that you may draw your own conclusions. My calendar has been on the MEC Web Site since my election in December of 2002. I have nothing to hide. The company apparently does._

The events that have taken place in the past couple of days has unified the American Eagle Flight Attendants and Pilots more so than we have ever seen before. As a result, the company is pulling out all of the punches. Simply put – they are not happy._

Our accomplishments will be celebrated. We will not stop until this company treats us with respect, dignity, and compassion._

Tomorrow, I will be sending you a “Call To Action”. I have directed the International Office of the Association Of Flight Attendants to author an “E-Activist” form that will be e-mailed to every Flight Attendant in our database. In addition, the letter will be posted on EagleLounge.com for the pilots participation._

This E-Activist will ask you to enter your name, employee number and ID. When you click “enter” – it will generate a printed letter that will be faxed to every Inflight Office system wide, including the offices of Senior AMR Management. In addition, e-mails will be auto generated to all of management._

Ladies and Gentlemen – the time for unity is now. Our voice is booming. Let’s make it loud and proud. We are the Flight Attendants of American Eagle – there is NOTHING we cannot accomplish by standing together in solidarity._

afamiamilec@aol.com

And this is a "professional" company?????

Sounds like a zoo that Tenney would run.
wink.gif

(kidding - I'm a kidder.... kinda).

It's a zoo that I left!

You have me 180 degrees wrong if you think I would do crap like that. I would treat airline employees like GOLD.

I treat employees I have now with utmost respect.

Happy employees means profitability.

Corporate America has forgotten that you don't lead by fear or intimidation.

If you take care of your employees, your employees will take care of the customers, the customers will then return and take care of the corporation.

But you can't say, "If you don't smile and work harder, you're going to lose your job" because then your employees will be motivated to only complete the minimum acceptable/passable level of performance, the customers sense it, and do not return.

Compare ANY McDonalds to an In-N-Out Burger.

[ QUOTE ]
Hence, the "
wink.gif
", John. Don't get all sensitive on us.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok. Sorry. Didn't mean to sound sensitive
smile.gif

God forbid I should be sensitive!

wink.gif

WOW, WHAT A HORNETS NEST THIS HAS STIRRED!

September 13th, 2003 (Received Via E-mail)

I have received a copy of an email you sent regarding Debra MacDougald.

First, let me say that Flight Attendant Debra McDougald's situation is a terrible tragedy and my sympathies and those of all of my colleagues in the Eagle leadership team go out to her. If the statements and description of events contained in Bill Hennessey’s message were true I would be as upset as anyone else who read the message.

As you would expect I've tried to get the facts following the allegations raised by Mr. Hennessey. Out of respect for Ms. McDougald's privacy we will not publish a detailed chronology of events in this situation. However, since specific elements in this situation are no longer private, but rather, have been made quite public by Mr. Hennessey, I have to point out the inaccuracies and misrepresentations in his message. Not pointing out the facts would be unfair to Debra's supervisors who have been accused of indifference and terrible insensitivity when quite the opposite is true.

Mr. Hennessey alleges that no travel passes were provided to Debra. In fact, A9 travel was provided for Ms. McDougald, her father and brother to travel to Seattle on June 30 immediately after she notified the company of the situation. In addition, after the company learned of the situation, Debra was placed on bereavement leave for an extended period of time - 3 days of paid leave and 15 days of unpaid leave.

Mr. Hennessey also alleges that Debra again contacted the company for A9 passes to travel to Seattle to attend the funeral. Ms McDougald had contacted the company, but she did so while enroute on July 8 traveling on D2 passes and told the supervisor she talked to that she was traveling to Seattle to assist in the ongoing investigation into her son's murder - not to attend the funeral or memorial services.

He also claims that once Debra arrived in DFW on her way to Seattle, the flights were oversold and that she found out later a flight to Seattle had left with 22 seats open. In fact, she was standing by for a DFW-SEA flight on July 8 that departed at 6:09 p.m. entirely full. Debra rolled over to the stand by list for the next flight, which departed at 7:59 p.m. that same evening, but she had either already left the airport or decided not to board because she did not respond to the gate agent when her name was called. That flight went out to Seattle with 9 seats open.

Mr. Hennessey alleges that, because the flights to Seattle were full, Debra had to arrange for a hotel room to stay overnight, and as the flights were still oversold the next day, she contacted Southwest Airlines and traveled from DFW to Seattle on Southwest on July 10. However, airline travel records indicate that Ms. McDougald actually traveled from DFW to ABQ the evening of July 9.

It is no mistake that these allegations surfaced some 10 weeks after the events unfolded. Mr. Hennessey has stated that he has been preparing for this letter for some 30 days. It is truly unfortunate he did not use that time to obtain factual information about the sequence of events or ask the Company to confirm his information prior to posting his allegations on the internet.

We all feel horrible that Debra McDougald's grief has been made to be such a public spectacle, and will not speculate on Mr. Hennessey's agenda.

Linda Kunz, American Eagle VP Flight Service

******************* Association Of Flight Attendants Response *******************

Association Of Flight Attendants, AFL-CIO

Master Executive Council - American Eagle Airlines

September 13th, 2003 (Sent Via Fax)

Linda Kunz

Vice President Of Flight Service

American Eagle Airlines

P.O. Box 619616

MD 5494 HDQ

DFW International Airport, Texas 75261-9616

Dear Linda:

I am writing in response to the e-mails that you have been sending the Flight Attendants of American Eagle Airlines.

I am deeply disturbed at your continued spreading of untruths about statements regarding my letter to you dated September 9th, 2003. I continue to be incredibly disappointed in the company’s lack of assuming responsibility for the actions taken by Chicago Flight Service Manager, Melissa Hendrickson against Debra McDougald.

You have accused me of stating that Debra did not receive any A9 Passes. That is completely incorrect and false information. If you would kindly refer to my letter dated September 9th, you will see in the 9th Paragraph, that the terms “another A9 Pass” is mentioned and also references to the fact that she already received A9 travel the week previous. So you’re accusation claiming that I “alleged” that no A9 travel was authorized is completely inaccurate and false information.

Also, you have identified that Debra was on a 3 Day Bereavement Leave followed by a 15 Day Unpaid Leave. This contradicts our telephone conversation when you stated that Melissa Hendrickson did not give Debra another A9 Pass because Melissa stated that, “Debra was on vacation”. Now you are saying something completely different. Which one is the truth?

In regards to the absolute falsification of evidence that you are providing as to why Debra was traveling to Seattle – I have enclosed a copy of Debra’s son’s obituary as published in the Tacoma News Tribune

Given the fact that you have questioned the validity of Debra’s travel, I have taken the liberty to provide you with a copy of her travel history:

Debra traveled D2 with her daughter on July 8th from Richmond to Dallas. She arrived in Dallas at 11:03AM. They were bumped off of numerous flights during that day and went to the Comfort Inn Irving Hotel at approximately 5:30PM. Just so there are no doubts, I am including a copy of their folio from the hotel:

Debra and her daughter checked into the hotel on July 8th and checked out on July 9th. Debra and her daughter returned to the DFW Airport where she found out that the flights to Seattle were oversold on the 9th as well. Knowing that she could not rely on her Flight Service Manager for assistance, Debra turned to the Gate Agent for help. The agent was kind enough to look for rerouting flights and found that a flight to Albuquerque was available. While the agent was rerouting Debra and her daughter, Debra purchased the ID90 Passes for Southwest Airlines. From ABQ, Debra and her daughter traveled on an ID90 Pass on Southwest Airlines. And, just so there are no doubts, here is a copy of Debra’s Bank Statement for the charge of the ID90:

I would also like to address the issue as to timing. You believe that there is some ulterior motive as to why the Association waited 10 weeks after the fact before corresponding with the company. Reason being, Debra has been mourning the death of her son Linda. How insensitive can you be by accusing me of having an ulterior motive? Simply put, Debra was not up to dealing with what, we all knew, the company’s reaction would be to this entire situation.

The very fact that the company would file for Mediation and make every attempt to discredit the Association and me is nothing more than a tactic to sway the attention away from the matter at hand. The fact still remains, we are still awaiting a response to the six requests that I made in my letter dated September 9th, 2003.

To reiterate, those requests are:

1. An immediate investigation to begin on Melissa's behavior towards Debra McDougald. Her lack of compassion to this situation makes me seriously doubt her ability to be in management and lead by example. Furthermore, her inability to assist Debra when it was so desperately needed has left herself with a reputation of someone who cannot be trusted.

2. A revamping of company policy on A9 Travel to include Union Representation for input on issues that we have learned from this tragic event.

3. A letter of commitment to every employee that American Eagle is dedicated to it's employees and will think outside the box for extenuating circumstances and will assist their employees whenever possible.

4. A letter of apology to Debra McDougald for having to endure such a lack of compassion on the company's part. While this will not erase what has happened, it is certainly a way to show that the company seriously does care for it's employees and identifies and acknowledges that there is room for major improvement.

5. A letter of recognition to Southwest Airlines Director Of Customer Service for showing such compassion to a F/A that is not employed by SWA.

6. A meeting with the recipients of the original e-mail dated September 9th, 2003, so that Debra can share her story with you firsthand. It is important that you put a face to the name. It is important that you hear how she was treated.

Linda, as you have served as the MEC President for the Association Of Flight Attendants serving Ozark Airlines in the past, I am appalled at your lack of compassion for the Flight Attendants that now serve under you. You are the leader of our Inflight Department, and I am the highest elected officer for our Union.

On behalf of all of the Flight Attendants at American Eagle, we demand to be treated with Respect, Dignity, Compassion, and Humanely. We will not accept anything less. Enough is Enough!

I shall be anxiously awaiting your response to our requests.

Regards,

Bill Hennessey

MEC President

17349 SW 142nd Court

Miami, FL. 33177

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed that as well. "The beatings will continue until morale improves."
grin.gif

Everybody wants the JetBlue/Southwest morale and cameraderie, but nobody wants to make the effort to treat their employees well.

and unfortunately, that's not only in the airline world either...

i'm having the same problem at my job which is just a typical engineering firm (9-5)... they want us to sacrifice personal life for the sake of the company at no cost to them, yet i haven't heard a thing about what "we" get out of it except for a job...

all people need to boost morale is some respect and recognition!!

All I've gotta say is that when the economy turns around, the companies that treat their employees like absolute sh*t like this are going to be hiring.

Hiring because anyone in their right mind wouldn't stay.

[ QUOTE ]
That is just crazy, how could they be so rude to her?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Because in this economy, they can. They can professionally afford to treat employees like this because there are a stack of resumes with people who would volunteer for worse treatment at 30% off her rates.

[ QUOTE ]

If you take care of your employees, your employees will take care of the customers, the customers will then return and take care of the corporation.

But you can't say, "If you don't smile and work harder, you're going to lose your job" because then your employees will be motivated to only complete the minimum acceptable/passable level of performance, the customers sense it, and do not return.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, this is all too common within any industry. In my former job, I got laid off two weeks before Christmas and one of my colleagues was laid off a week later. We were told that were being let go and we were not given any kind of reason. Well, seeing how it was at will employment, them be da breaks.

But we both know why we got canned. It was because our former boss wanted to collect the commissions on the ads we sold. Well, she did.

But now she's going through all sorts of hell because without the efforts of me and my colleague, they haven't hit their revenue goals in a single month for this year so far.

Pretty good payback, huh? She canned us, and now she's on the hot seat.

And I found a job with an employer who will treat me a hell of a lot better. Funny thing is, I'll be selling advertising for an aviation magazine. How funny is that?

THIS SOUNDS A LOT MORE LIKE THE EAGLE I REMEMBER!!!

This was posted on the AFA web site. Obviously, inflight managers can and do go above the call of duty and do the right thing. Melissa, TAKE NOTES!

From the web site:

Dear Flight Attendants:

Since the original letter was sent to the company on September 9th, 2003, an outpour of support has arisen for Debra McDougald. I have forwarded many of your e-mails to Debra. She is extremely appreciative of your support.

Many of our members have also come forward with their own personal stories of American Eagle's lack of compassion and humanity towards it's employees._

However, there are occasions when a Flight Service Manager has truly gone above and beyond to help a Flight Attendant. The following is a story submitted to me by a Boston Based Flight Attendant names Denise Williamson and she has asked me to share this story with you.

Kudos to those Flight Service Manager who know the meaning of Compassion, Humanity, and Common Sense!
In Unity,
Bill Hennessey
MEC President
Representing The American Eagle Airlines Flight Attendants

September 13th, 2003

Dear Bill Hennessey,

You probably don't know that I am a native of Great Britain, and although I have lived for 27 years in the USA I never fail to be amazed at the medieval
treatment handed down by corporate America to its workers!_ As an accomplished amateur historian (I hope eventually to earn a Phd.D in medieval history) I can only say that AMR's treatment of its employees is MEDIEVAL - we are the serfs and AMR are the lords of the feudal manor!_ they consider us lesser beings, not worthy of respect or consideration.

I want to let you know that there are Inflight managers at Eagle who are compassionate._ Almost three years ago, on December 18, 2000, I was on an overnight in PHL when I stepped into the bathtub and fell, smashing my right wrist and seriously bruising my ribs, right hip and leg._ After being treated at a PHL hospital, the company wanted to fly me back to BOS immediately._ However, due to the shock to my system plus the effects of the painkilling and anti-nausea drugs I was not in any position to travel._ My then IFM, Jennifer Gillis, authorized me to stay at the hotel in PHL for another night, and since I had run out of money after paying for my prescription, further authorized me to have room service provide my dinner and then breakfast the following day._ I was willing to reimburse the company later, but I was never billed for the food.

I traveled back to BOS- they gave me two seats so there was room for my injured arm - Eagle personnel carried my bags._ Upon arrival in BOS, Ann-Marie Delapaz took care of all the workers comp. stuff via computer then personally drove me home in her own car, arranged for another employee to drive my car from the parking garage to my home, and even bought me lunch!

So Eagle does have good, compassionate employees. It is unfortunate that, instead of saying, shucks, somebody goofed, the company is closing ranks around the Chicago IFM._ At the very least, this IFM needs a lesson not only in compassion but in COMMON SENSE!

Whatever support Debra needs she will have from me! We are human beings, worthy of respect._ If we don't have that, everything else is worthless.

As far as your treatment regarding the letter that was posted about you in CHI, it is part of the human condition that we have physical ailments that are
beyond our control and need to be treated._ I think it might do our management good to look at the way European corporations treat their employees!_

Although I have been a US citizen by choice since 1985 my heritage is incontrovertibly European and I am constantly amazed by the lack of respect and dignity workers receive from their bosses.__ European workers are more productive and less stressed as a result of being valued by their employers instead of being just a number and a company expense!

If our airline is to survive (we now have to face the 9/11 lawsuits) it is going to require that the upper echelons of the company accept that we are people too! We cannot work as a team if there are others who do not feel we are their equals as far as worth, effort and dignity!

Hearing of Debra McDougald's horror story I wonder about my own situation._ I share a house with a friend who has major health problems and recently was seriously injured in a car accident which led to a stroke._ She is now disabled, possibly permanently. If, God forbid, she had died from the stroke, would I have been allowed time off for her funeral?_ She is like a sister to me, but we are not related._

I realize that the union cannot cover every possibility for all its employees but it would seem to me that people in positions of power over others
should have the autonomy to be able to make intelligent, compassionate decisions where human lives and emotions are concerned

[ QUOTE ]
This thread should probably be moved to the Pro Pilot forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I think it's important for people to see the dark side of the industry. Of course, this kind of behavior is all too typical for corporate America, with companies that treat their employees well being the exception to the rule. It's funny, though. Companies that treat their employees well tend to do better than those that treat them like crap.

Back